Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Compromising when buying a house

momof2+?

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:37 pm
What did you compromise on when you bought your house? Was it as big a deal as you thought it would be? Did you regret it?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:45 pm
Land and privacy (instead we chose convenience for frum family ie #of rooms, 3 sinks, pesach kitchen), location, friends for little kids.
I don't regret it

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:48 pm
A master bathroom - mainly because the area which we were looking at was older houses and maybe 1-2 houses we even looked at had one.... - and yes at times I find it annoying

A nice big kitchen- but hopefully one day we will have the ability to update my smaller sized one in a way that's more practical for us

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:49 pm
We have a above ground pool

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:50 pm
Originally wanted to be closer to our shul and went to a beautiful open house that was only a few blocks away. But another house further away stole our hearts. Very happy with our decision. The nosy yentas live close to shul and I'm so glad I don't have to deal with them.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:50 pm
We walk a mile. To shul
Now we have many neighbors who also walk that far

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:03 pm
Size
Size
Size

I don't regret it because we got something we could afford and didn't have the stress of not being able to make our mortgage payments.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:09 pm
House should have been bulldozed. It was a wreck.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:09 pm
Also no master bathroom for the same reasons as above--many houses in our area, unless expanded, don't have. DH didn't see it as that big a deal because he didn't grow up with one in his parents' house, and we have another full bath, just not in our bedroom. Kids are young now so it's not a problem at all, but I may feel differently down the road. On the other hand, many get along without it, (and historically, people raised larger families than we have with only one bathroom). I think it's something that's nice to have but if you don't, you make it work.

We would not buy a house with a shared driveway, though--that was a definite no for us.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:19 pm
Compromised on being far from shopping and schools and no frum neighbors right next door . But since we moved the neighborhood also became more frum and a supermarket opened nearby and all the schools started providing transportation. However, I am afraid to drive so I gave up my independence of getting to places on my own which really bothers me. I hope to overcome my fear and just go for it.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:22 pm
I compromised on a lot of things but the biggest ones were it’s a small house only 1450 sqft, no master bath and only three bedrooms. I would do the same thing again. I got an amazing block. This is the only community that made sense for us hashgafically that was close to dh job.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:25 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Land and privacy (instead we chose convenience for frum family ie #of rooms, 3 sinks, pesach kitchen), location, friends for little kids.
I don't regret it

We did exactly the opposite. Bought a small house with small rooms on a large private lot. Don't regret it for a second (and now B"H we are able to extend it, still no Pesach kitchen though Tongue Out ).

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:31 pm
BH I have a nice size house (5 bdrms and 4 bathrooms). The only thing I regret is not having a HUGE HUGE family room. It is my dream to add one on. I have one now but it's not as huge as I would want. Also if I was buying now I would want a pool.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:17 am
I only bought what I was able to afford at the time. Bh my family grew, so now it sometimes feels small.
We got 1400 sq feet condo, among lots of neighbors in a bldg, ( which I thought would be a plus, as company for myself & kids, but not all of them are that nice & am not too close to most, & now don't have privacy & need to deal with everyone's mishigasen,) Dining room small, kids bedrooms small, my teenager doesn't have his own room, playroom small, no walk in laundry room, small porches, no pareve sink or out of toilet sink to wash hands besides for kitchen sinks for dishes etc. Builders didn't give us everything they promised either but we couldn't fight them to get it or about the money....
The money for the down payment & mortgage that we counted on....we also got stuck with due to some family dynamics....
but Bh we have a home that we can call ours...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics