Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Have you ever missed a flight?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:05 am
If you did, how did you do that?

I have a wedding to go to tomorrow night iyh and I asked the kallahs mother if she needs help with anything and she told me the chossons family missed their flight. I have no idea what they’re doing, I didn’t ask, but I wonder how people miss their flight.

My dh flew somewhere recently and he left motzei yom tov. He had a choice between an earlier and later flight. He decided to go on the later just in case he didn’t make it because it was too close to motzei yom tov. He ended getting in time for the earlier one, but they didn’t let him go on that one.

I just remembered two of my children missed their flight, a domestic one. They were together. I can’t recall the details now, but I do remember them saying there was a lot of traffic, more than they anticipated.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:07 am
Yes! I came early. Was traveling alone. Went to the bathroom. Came back and sat back down to continue to read. Supposedly they called my name when I was in the bathroom and there was no loud speaker there. Was so frustrating! Can't Believe It I had to get to a simcha that night, which was the reason I was traveling. I took a later flight and came with barely enough time to get dressed. Was very tiring and stressful.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:09 am
I missed a connecting flight from Rome-->Milan when my Tel Aviv --> Rome flight was late (thank you, Alitalia). They put us on the next flight out, which was 2 hours later.

I never scheduled a flight so that I would have to leave the house **immediately** as soon as Shabbat ended or something like that.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:18 am
I also missed a connection due to the initial flight being delayed. I never again booked a tight connection.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:28 am
southernbubby wrote:
I also missed a connection due to the initial flight being delayed. I never again booked a tight connection.

I had a connecting flight in MIA once that was less than a two hour wait. That airport is huge and I had to go through customs first. Never do that again! Bh I didn’t miss it, but had to walk really fast.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:35 am
yo'ma wrote:
If you did, how did you do that?

I have a wedding to go to tomorrow night iyh and I asked the kallahs mother if she needs help with anything and she told me the chossons family missed their flight. I have no idea what they’re doing, I didn’t ask, but I wonder how people miss their flight.

My dh flew somewhere recently and he left motzei yom tov. He had a choice between an earlier and later flight. He decided to go on the later just in case he didn’t make it because it was too close to motzei yom tov. He ended getting in time for the earlier one, but they didn’t let him go on that one.

I just remembered two of my children missed their flight, a domestic one. They were together. I can’t recall the details now, but I do remember them saying there was a lot of traffic, more than they anticipated.

I did. I was so excited about going home ( I was in sem back then) and I carried that ticket with me for a month.
I didn't look at it again the night before and assumed my flight was at 1 pm. It was at 1 am though. I was heartbroken.
Never happened again though.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:39 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I did. I was so excited about going home ( I was in sem back then) and I carried that ticket with me for a month.
I didn't look at it again the night before and assumed my flight was at 1 pm. It was at 1 am though. I was heartbroken.
Never happened again though.

Oh my gosh, you just reminded me how once I went to the wrong airport, so I obviously missed my flight. It was sooo long ago, I don’t remember much, but I was going to Arizona and had a connecting flight I think in Texas. They ended up giving me a flight to Texas to make my connecting flight and I didn’t have to go to the correct airport.

Sandrine

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:02 am
Yes - I was returning from a conference in Jacksonville, Fl, but my connecting flight to Memphis was delayed several hours due to catching the back end of a hurricane. As a result, we were diverted to Minneapolis. I missed the connection to Heathrow through not realizing how big the airport was and trying to walk rather than taking the travellators (v bad idea). I then had to wait several more hours for a connection to Schipol instead. The whole thing was a total nightmare. And it wasn’t even a very good conference ha ha ha!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:33 am
My brother missed his flight to yeshiva in Israel. I believe he got there in time, but he couldn't find his gate. He'd never flown before and he panicked.

B'H he got on a flight a few days later.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:34 am
I missed our flight this summer by going to the wrong airport! It was 10000% preventable - I had gone over every other single detail of the vacation over and over, but for some reason, I just "knew" that we were flying out of a certain airport, only to get there and find out that was not the case. My husband called the airline while we were in the cab from airport A to airport B and they were able to get us on the next flight only one hour later, but that caused us to miss our layover so we needed to take a train for the final leg of the trip. I'm normally an extremely organized and responsible person and this was SO out of character-- such a senseless brain slip. It'll never happen again, that's for sure.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:43 am
Once I was flying with my dh and kids to join my family for our annual Chanukah party. Our flight was delayed and they set a new departure time a couple of hours later. I got a text and email from the airline notifying me. Since we arrived at the airport early, we went to a lounge to wait. We left the lounge with plenty of time to spare for our new departure time, got to the gate, and discovered they had left early. I was never notified about that change, of course. They were really nasty about it too, and there were other passengers who also missed the flight because of it. We ended up going home and taking a flight on a different airline the next day.

We also missed a connecting flight in Europe once even though we made it on time to board, because they didn't get our suitcases early enough from our previous flight. They put us on a later flight that day so it was all right.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:55 am
I missed a connection from Israel through europe to North America. It wasn't my fault I'm not sure what exactly happened but my connecting flight closed early and my flight was delayed like five minutes.
I ran to the gate and the plane was still there but they didn't let me on.
Of course this was a Friday and I was on the way to a family simcha. The only next flight They had would have me landing at candle lighting. So I was stranded in the European city until Sunday morning!
BH I had distant relatives in this city who generously put me up for Shabbat.
I never did find out what exactly happened there, I suspect my connection left early because they were afraid of bad weather in the destination.
Long story short we sued the airline and did get some compensation.
Moral of the story - don't fly on a Friday if you have a connection even if it's very very early in the am.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:50 pm
Yes twice flight got delayed and missed the connection - they put us on next flight a couple hours later.

Recently actually missed a flight back to Israel. We had traffic the way there. When we got there they were really nasty about the suitcase weight a few were a few pounds over while others were a few pounds under (all were weighed before and we're under weight, but then some things were added last minute.) And they made us go out of line to the repacking area to change it - with little kids and a crying newborn baby. After we had to wait on the long line again. Then had to wait on the crazy long line for security. Finally went through security and they flagged the diaper bag because there was baby powder inside. They decided they had to do a full screening on every item in the diaper bag and a full pat down on my husband. but they were in no rush and took their time till they even started, then took a while to find a male to do the pat down. It was crazy and my kids were scared and tired. Finally they let us go , but we had to get to the last gate with whole family. We got there just as the plane pulled away. They put us on the next flight around 6 hours later. However they didn't have seats next to each other and no bassinet for my 5 week old baby. We got some ppl to switch seats but still weren't all together and I had to hold my baby the whole flight. B"h my other kids slept almost the whole flight or it would've been crazy!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:14 pm
Almost.

Was at Ben-Gurion, flight wasn't announced for some reason (this was in the days when they usually were), just the final call: for ME! Plane didn't have a walkway and I'd missed the passenger bus, so they put me on a crew vehicle Surprised

Got on the plane, the doors closed, and I had the "walk of shame" all the way to my seat! Not embarrassing at all LOL

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:46 pm
It happens.

DS1 overslept and missed a flight.

On vacation, DD3 hurt herself the morning before we were going home, and needed to be taken to an urgent care clinic. So much for going home that day.

We've also had flights seriously delayed, causing us to miss connecting flights.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:50 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
My brother missed his flight to yeshiva in Israel. I believe he got there in time, but he couldn't find his gate. He'd never flown before and he panicked.

B'H he got on a flight a few days later.

Two words: Group Flight. Its more expensive, but they have people there helping and directing.

s c

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 5:20 pm
Years ago missed a flight to Israel 2 days before pesach. My husband woke me up at 2am in a blind panic saying we just missed our flight. We had both thought we were flying 2PM and for some odd reason he was awake at that crazy hour and happened to look at the tickets. We were besides ourselves. Had 3 small kids and a baby, obviously we hadn't done a thing for pesach, and my mum was very ill so there was no way we could go to my parents. we started working out how we could make pesach from scratch in around 48 hours! Thankfully by some neis El.Al put on an extra flight the next day that we managed to squeeze on to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics