Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Tell me what I need to know re: soy allergy
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:40 pm
Hi!
My DC was recently diagnosed with a soy allergy, in addition to the impressive list of other things the child is allergic to. I know soy can be hidden in really random foods and be called lots of different things. So please educate me. What surprising thing did you realize contains soy? What should I look for when checking labels? Which common foods should I avoid?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:45 pm
All baked goods including store bought challah. Only bread doesn't have oil (most don't have but you still have to check). All other baked goods are made with soybean oil or vegetable oil (another name for soybean oil).
Expect to find it in all processed foods. Always check the ingredients. It's hard!
Our dd was intolerant for many years and the smallest trace made her break out.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

chasdie Hashem

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:56 pm
Most chips:(
X easy -my daughter allergic as well

tweety1

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:59 pm
If you follow dash n whisk on Instagram ask her. She's allergic to soy. She's a very nice lady and if you'll ask her I'm sure she'll help you.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:10 pm
My dc is allergic to soy (amongst many other things as well) and I was told that soy lecithin and soy oil are still ok. Dc has tolerated them well for years. Check with your allergist/nutritionist to find out.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:14 pm
Cereals that claim to be high in protein are full of soy. Sometimes called protein isolate

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:36 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
My dc is allergic to soy (amongst many other things as well) and I was told that soy lecithin and soy oil are still ok. Dc has tolerated them well for years. Check with your allergist/nutritionist to find out.

Good to know, I'll make sure to ask.
Thank you to everyone who replied.

saralem

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:40 pm
be careful of fish sticks and frozen chicken nuggets--most have soy protein added. I also have found that soy oil is NOT a problem--and my dc has severe soy allergy.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:41 pm
Spray oil like Pam even their olive oil version all have soy lecithin.
You can stock up over pesach or buy the avocado spray oil that doesn't have soy lecithin.
Chocolate chips and other chocolates you should also stock up pesach time. And hot cocoa mix.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

slpmom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:45 pm
My daughter is allergic to soy and her dr told us that soy protein and soy oils and lechitin are ok. I use coconut or liquid aminos instead of soy sauce.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:50 pm
Stock up on kosher lepesach stuff when you can (kitniot free). Soy oil is in a lot of things, but not every soy allergic person is allergic to it. Soy lecithin is in most chocolate (not usually the heimish brands if they're kosher for pesach).

bnm

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:52 pm
Soy is in almost everything. Read ingredients on every item you pick up. Allow an extra hour for your grocery shopping. Some items might be safe in 1 flavor but the other flavor isn't. About soy oil/soy lecithin, ask the allergist. My child had to be off it all. My child only started eating soy again this summer, he was off it for almost 3 years. Feel free to pm me to ask questions about brands and products.

For example, Pringles contained soy in some form. Jewish brand imitation didn't contain soy in the plain and 2 other flavors, so 3/5 where ok. Lots of taffies and other candy contain soy lecithin. Near East flavored rice contains soy in some flavors. Any item that says high protein usually contains added soy protein.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:57 pm
enjoy life brand makes soy free chocolate chips and cookies.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:11 pm
Thank you all, I appreciate all the responses. Bnm, thank you for all the info and for your kind offer. I'm still waiting to finish up with the allergist before I start compiling a list of allowed foods.
Amother sienna, we love their products, thanks!

bnm

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:23 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Stock up on kosher lepesach stuff when you can (kitniot free). Soy oil is in a lot of things, but not every soy allergic person is allergic to it. Soy lecithin is in most chocolate (not usually the heimish brands if they're kosher for pesach).

I found only 3 things that I needed to stock up on Pesach time:

Margarine
Bissli
Flavored potato chips

I used to stock up on chocolate chips with a heimish hechsher but now you can get California Gourmet in the blue bags.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:59 pm
Soy is in (literally almost) everything thats packaged. You're about to have a really healthy kid ( silver lining). You're going to have to make their food yourself all the time.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 12:21 am
Eat real food.

shanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:10 am
If you’re on Facebook...there are lots of parents of food allergy groups. Pm me if you want names. I’m a parent of an FA kid. I know it’s not so easy to make everything from scratch.
There are lots of top 8 free brands. The Facebook groups discuss them a lot.
I think made good is also.

Then there is the snack safely list

sallee

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 9:17 pm
Do cholent beans contain soy?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 10:37 pm
sallee wrote:
Do cholent beans contain soy?

No they do not contain soybeans. They contain cranberry beans, navy beans and kidney beans.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics