Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bnos Hadassah (school in Jerusalem / Yerushalayim )
1  2  Next

Marriedinisrael

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 2:40 am
Wishing to hear a bit about Bnos Hadassah school- heard some good things about it recently, and would like to hear more:

What's the parent body like?
Where are the girls/families from?
How geared is it to people who want to stay in Israel rather than go back?
Any busing in from other Jerusalem neighborhoods?
Ages/grades?
Contact info?

Thanks!

sped

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 4:42 am
AFAIK, (spoken with a few mothers of students) parents are very, very happy there. It is chassidish - with the chassidish pronunciation and all. Parent body is American and European chassidish and the curriculum and materials are a regular chasidish American one. The languages spoken are only English and Yiddish, though I understand they began to teach Hebrew as a subject. They are opening a high school, so I assume they expect families that are staying too, but keep in mind that integration into Israeli society is not a goal. (As a friend said once, I" I had a hard time making aliyah. Why should my kids have to go through it too.")

LibbyV

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 6:43 am
My daughter is at Bnos Haddassah, and we're extremely pleased. She's been there since nursery.

They have nursery through grade 5-6 or so, but it's growing each year. They are planning to open a high-school next year.

The school is Chassidish, especially the elementary school. We're not keen on the Chassidic havara which confuses my daughter somewhat when she's meant to pronounce things in the Ivrit accent, but the school is so special that we're willing to overlook this. :-)

Bnos Haddassah is only a few years old but has been growing very quickly. There are two first grade classes and 3-4 pre-school classes per grade. There is only one class per grade in the higher grades, which is probably due to families moving back to the US/Europe.

Nursery and Kindergarten are exclusively in English (there are little boys in a separate section, but I don't know what ages). They introduce Yiddish and Hebrew in pre-1A. My daughter knew neither when she started and has pretty much managed to learn them during that year.

Pre-1A and up have a tights-only dress code.

Parents seem the most mixed of anything I've seen anywhere. Mothers with hats (Belz and similar), regular heimish and also more Yeshivish types. We appreciate the diversity.

The school day is longer than any Bais Yakov. The school day runs until 3:00-3:30. Practically unheard of in Israel, but an absolute pleasure for working mothers.

The staff and teachers are dedicated and committed. My daughter absolutely loves going to school. They learn an incredible amount - reading and writing in kindergarten.

Rabbi and Mrs. Rosenfeld, who started the school, are an amazing couple who put their all into the school - and it's apparent.

They offer transportation to many areas (additional cost). Ramat Eshkol, French Hill, etc.

School number is: 02-502-0037.

SRK

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 2:36 am
I met a girl in grade 5 that just made aliyah recently. She si very happy. She said that it is very chassidish, out of 21 girls in her class- 2 are litvish. It sounds like a great school though, I'd love to send my daughter there...

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 10:04 am
Hi,

I would like to get updates on the school??

We are making an aliyah soon,

sped

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 10:13 am
It still is a warm school, fantastic teachers, still geared to European/American Chassidish. Parents are happy, but still very chutznik- not integrating into Israeli society. Also, I was told that Hebrew language is being phased out.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 10:29 am
Thanks for your quick response, is it hard to get accepted?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 10:30 am
My impression was that it is more geared towards families who are planning to go back to the states/europe eventually then to families making aliyah that want to be able to have thier children intergrate.
For example most of the students I've met can't speak a fluent hebrew.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 7:04 pm
Can anyone give me an update on this school? What type of people send there? Curriculum? Im making Aliyah in the summer I need to confirm which school I'll be sending to.

Thanks in advance!

sped

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:25 am
What kind of information are you looking for?
It is exclusively English, with L.K taught in Yiddish. It's a chassidishe school, and seems to follow a US curriculum. If you are planning on staying here, be aware that it does not encourage transitioning into the general society her in Israel, but rather to stay very chutznik.
The teaching staff is excellent, for the most part. The hanhala is caring.

sped

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:25 am
The children are from fairly chassidishe families.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 4:22 am
Interesting! Is there a dess code? special rules about driving moms or tznius?

dbw

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 1:07 pm
Can anyone tell me more about this school? Would a non English speaking Yiddish speaking kid have a hard time there? I.e. Do they teach in English or Yiddish? Are secular subjects taught in English? Is it comparable to Tomer Devora in BP? Is it very hard to get in?

sped

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 9:12 pm
The school is run in English, with English being the primary language used. Limudei kodesh is taught in Yiddish. So yes, the child must know Yiddish to fit in.

abound

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 4:28 am
the girls in the school socialize in English so a student would need a good command of that language to fit in. A nice amount of the parents in the school would probably drive if they lived in the US, I assume that it is a non issue. There is no dresscode for the parent body if I udnerstand correctly. Children have uniforms for school.
It is a pretty mainstreamed BP kind of chassidish. Shaitels till the shoulders, The parent body would look like a Mesilas kind of parent body I think.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 4:53 am
It's a very good school in like others have mentioned before they are proud to be American and will stay American in a different country.
It is very frum like officially no smartphone type of attitude but I am sure there are plenty of moms that have it.
Also there are some schools that they build your child, this schools attitude is that, your child builds the school. Meaning, money, last names makes a very big difference. They say it's similar to Tomer Devorah style.

sped

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 11:16 am
I don't post much but I need to respond. I've been to the school many times to consult for girls who were having a hard time managing in different ways - academic, behavior and social/emotional. I NEVER saw/felt/heard anything different in their attitude or approach to kids based on money, names or anything else, and I dealt with all types of families.
The ONLY time I saw it was when I was dealing with a family that was wealthy, and the administration made sure to let me know that since finances are not an issue, I should recommend the best professionals to help this child, without regard to how much it will run.
I have my issues with the school, but this is really not one of them.

wif

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:37 am
Reviving this thread to ask if anyone has any personal experience with Bnos Hadassah high school. If so, please share! Thanks!

sped

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 3:39 am
Nit much, but IIUC, their alumni seem to prefer continuing in other schools.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:10 pm
Any more info on the high school? What type goes there? Do they still teach in yiddish?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics