Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Jewish Novel recommendations
Previous  1  2  3

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow so much to look into! Thank you all so much

YMMV. Some of these books are kids books. And there are some thrillers out there that I suspect have not been well-researched as far as procedurals, etc. That doesn't make them fun reads, I just suspect that with this large variety of books suggested, there will some that won't be your cuppa. Don't give up on frum Judaica though!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:44 am
UQT wrote:
Tomorrow was truly a great book. I've leant it out to a few people and they all really enjoyed it.

There was another book I can't remember the name but maybe someone can name it. It was written about a poor family in Jerusalem whose daughter ended up coming to America to collect for her family. It made you think long after the book was over.

Tomorrow?

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:18 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Rachel Pomerantz's books - especially "A Time to Rend, a Time to Sow" and "Wildflower" - are masterpieces.

If you like the spiritual/reality genre, you may enjoy Meir Uri Gottesman, especially his incredible Morning Star.

I must've read these a thousand times. Definitely my style and apricots.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:02 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
If you like those (and I do, too!), have you tried Dancing in the Dark (teenagers dealing with a mom with Bipolar Disorder) and Tzippy Caton's Miracle Ride?

I also second the nomination for Sun Inside Rain (less tear-jerky), but IMO the best written Jewish novel in terms of quality of writing.

Do NOT read Dancing in the Dark unless you have a really strong stomach for detailed abuse. It's been years and I still can't get it out of my head it is one book I will never bring into my home again.
Promise me Jerusalem is an amazing book. Another book that makes me cry but I love is Dreams Delayed by Ariella Schiller.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:03 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Tomorrow?

New book by Shuli Mensch. I liked it but felt it wrapped everything up way too quickly at the end.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:52 pm
If anyone’s interested in the book Tomorrow by Shuli Mensh, I have it for sale on eBay. ( other Jewish books as well, see the thread called novels for sale on eBay).

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 3:14 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
"Sun Inside Rain" by M. Bassara (or something like that?)

"Daddy's Girl" by Dina Neuman

"All Fall Down" by Rachel Berger

Libby Lazewnik's books

Avner Gold's books

"Every Man a Slave" by...someone? pretty good.

Sender Zeyv; while I enjoyed it, I didn't find it particularly tear-jerking, more fascinating as to the application of little-known/practiced halachos set in more modern historical (fiction) times.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 6:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s tomorrow about? The later sounds like my type ! I used to get weird stares when I’d tell people “I only like books that make me cry.”

OK then you should definitely read Welcome to Heavenly Heights!

And since some people mentioned great children's books, I have to admit that Miriam Kosman's Family for a While had me sobbing at the end-- even when I read it a second time Smile

summer0808

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:46 pm
I went to the library's website to see if some of the books are available. Well Risa MIller's book is out and has a request already. Did someone beat me to it?

it would be interesting to see if the library suddenly gets requests based on this thread!

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:55 pm
Someone here mentioned Freefall by Miriam Zakon, which was serialized in Mishpacha and is an absolutely incredible piece of historical fiction.

The Pomegranate Pendant is another incredible historical fiction read.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head, and I tend to prefer more light, junky reading, even in Jewish novels, so I'm probably not one to talk
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room