Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleanliness/Neatness Standards for a Tenant

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 6:35 pm
I have an interesting question, and I would love some input.

Has anyone here ever had a landlord impose standards of cleanliness or neatness on them? If so what did you find reasonable?

My landlord showed up to my house randomly yesterday, and I let him in to look at some issues that need to be taken care of. I was in the middle of laundry, cooking, baking, and cleaning. The house was clean (last deep-cleaning on Friday) but messy. Because of some of the issues he came to check, I have been using the guest rooms as storage in lieu of the closets. I knew that it was messy, and he even made a comment “it’s a good thing my wife can’t see this”.

Today, my landlord told my husband that he will “let us break the lease” as he needs to do construction to fix the issues we are having, but that if we choose to stay he must insist that the house be kept tidier even if it means requiring us to get a cleaning lady. He also told my husband that “the house looks like a storage facility instead of a home”.

We already decided that it makes sense for us to move as it will be very difficult to be here for the construction. They need to hit all of the bathrooms, the laundry room, and more. However, I am really hurt by what happened and am looking for feedback. Although I am a working professional, I feel like a big part of my identity is as a wife. Somehow I feel personally affronted by the judgement about my housekeeping skills as well as the comment that my house looks like a storage facility. Obviously, had I known he was coming I would have straightened up that morning instead of putting up the challah dough, the soups, and the laundry.

However, I also have made a lot of effort to prioritize living over cleaning. I will admit that my house never looks like a museum. On the other hand, I think that as a tenant I have the right to live in the premises as I see fit as long as I’m not causing damage. Obviously, if I left food out and caused an infestation or I didn’t clean the toilets, that would be a problem.

Any input?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 6:40 pm
Never heard of such a thing. Maybe he is OCD. Try not to take it personally (I would also be offended!)

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:20 pm
OMG I’m so sorry you have to deal with that. I had a landlord who did that to us. We were renting for short term until our house was ready. She used to randomly pop in and want to look around. I was so annoyed. If you can move than go for it. You don’t need that headache. Good luck!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have an interesting question, and I would love some input.

Has anyone here ever had a landlord impose standards of cleanliness or neatness on them? If so what did you find reasonable?

My landlord showed up to my house randomly yesterday, and I let him in to look at some issues that need to be taken care of. I was in the middle of laundry, cooking, baking, and cleaning. The house was clean (last deep-cleaning on Friday) but messy. Because of some of the issues he came to check, I have been using the guest rooms as storage in lieu of the closets. I knew that it was messy, and he even made a comment “it’s a good thing my wife can’t see this”.

Today, my landlord told my husband that he will “let us break the lease” as he needs to do construction to fix the issues we are having, but that if we choose to stay he must insist that the house be kept tidier even if it means requiring us to get a cleaning lady. He also told my husband that “the house looks like a storage facility instead of a home”.

We already decided that it makes sense for us to move as it will be very difficult to be here for the construction. They need to hit all of the bathrooms, the laundry room, and more. However, I am really hurt by what happened and am looking for feedback. Although I am a working professional, I feel like a big part of my identity is as a wife. Somehow I feel personally affronted by the judgement about my housekeeping skills as well as the comment that my house looks like a storage facility. Obviously, had I known he was coming I would have straightened up that morning instead of putting up the challah dough, the soups, and the laundry.

However, I also have made a lot of effort to prioritize living over cleaning. I will admit that my house never looks like a museum. On the other hand, I think that as a tenant I have the right to live in the premises as I see fit as long as I’m not causing damage. Obviously, if I left food out and caused an infestation or I didn’t clean the toilets, that would be a problem.

Any input?

You can get evicted if you are a hoarder and the hoarding is out of control, meaning its dangerous for you and a hazard for everyone else to live there. But just a mess is overstepping boundaries unless there is something in the lease that says otherwise. If you are moving out anyway then just let that comment go in one ear and out the other so to speak even if its difficult. You know you are clean and a little mess just means that your house is lived in, not a museum. Good for you!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:22 pm
That was out of line on his part! Your husband should tell him that he was very taken aback by his comment and he should know that you are careful to keep his space in good condition but the rest is none of his business.

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:36 pm
Unless your lease states otherwise, you can keep the premises however you like, as long as it's not to a dangerous "calling the Department of Health" level, or causing damage. If you want to use a room (or more) as storage, that's your prerogative. Since you're moving anyway, I would let it go, personally.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:50 pm
Totally inappropriate unless your house was actually dirty and grimy to the extent that it could cause insects and mice. And if you are hoarding rather than just storing.
Let it go. The only people that I know that feel the right to say such things to their tenants are individuals who have OCD. (Know two people like that)

tweety1

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:54 pm
As a landlord I can say that's unacceptable. I would love to know that my tenant keeps her apt clean, but really it's none of my business. I never once stepped into her apt. She did once call my dh to look at something, and I was tempted to ask him if it looks clean but I kept myself back cuz I wanna teach myself and preach to myself that as long as she's not a hoarder to keep my nose out of it. One thing is for sure, if he would take you to court to evict you over such a matter he would lose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics