Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
12 yr old dd apprehensive about upcoming skin dr appt

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:45 am
I noticed dd had some minor acne, so I made her an appt by local skin dr. She also has a strange mark/bump on her shoulder that I want to check out. I explained to her how the dr will examine her skin and recommend certain soaps and creams for her to use. However she’s refusing to let the dr check the thing on her shoulder. It’s probably nothing but I’d like to make sure it’s nothing. How can I get her to cooperate? When I brought it up with her she was practically in tears!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 3:09 am
Did she tell you why she was in tears?

Is this a male or a female doctor?

Did you reassure her that it's OK to take her shirt off or lift it up, if it's for medical reasons? She may be worried that it's not tznuah.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 4:22 am
Maybe she's scared cuz she is secretly terrified it's cancer and she will die.
I knew someone who reacted that way around the same age. There's such a lack of information given to young children and teens. 99 percent of the time a bump is not cancer - but most of the time they read or hear stories about people finding a bump its cancer or something.

I mean no one writes a story about finding a bump and then...nothing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 6:13 am
I do think she's scared of it being cancer. I never mentioned it to her, just told her sometimes drs like to scrape of a tiny piece, doesn't hurt, to test it and make sure its not something that will grow bigger. I showed her my hand where I had warts and they were removed, the skin looks a bit different in that spot, can't notice unless I point it out. she's still freaked out.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 6:18 am
Can you reassure her that it's extremely unlikely for it to be something serious, especially at her age, and especially because her skin is usually covered, but sometimes a little medicine can make something go away and not get worse, and the doctor just needs to check what it is to prescribe the right medicine?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics