Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Raw Tuna from Bingo

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:45 pm
Can you eat it raw? What type of tuna is is exactly?

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 12:26 am
I don’t know Bingo specifically but generally fish that is intended to be eaten raw is specifically sold as sushi grade. It is generally very fresh and free of parasites. There is a huge difference in taste between good sushi fish and bad sushi fish which is why many mediocre sushi restaurants sell fancy sushi that is disguised with sauces and other strong seasonings.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 9:30 am
Amarante wrote:
I don’t know Bingo specifically but generally fish that is intended to be eaten raw is specifically sold as sushi grade. It is generally very fresh and free of parasites. There is a huge difference in taste between good sushi fish and bad sushi fish which is why many mediocre sushi restaurants sell fancy sushi that is disguised with sauces and other strong seasonings.

Thank you! But looking for info on tuna from Bingo

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 9:38 am
Their tuna is the same as other local fish places. Frozen during one season only and sold all year. Try it. Their tuna looked really nice and red when I was there last.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 9:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! But looking for info on tuna from Bingo

Her answer applies to Bingo and to all other places that sell raw tuna. You need to ask if it is sushi grade. They should have a label to show you. If it is sushi grade, then yes, its good to eat raw. If its not, then eat it at your own risk. You need to ask yourself and be an informed consumer.

And what ra-mom said also. Just about every kosher place in the States uses frozen raw tuna or salmon in their sushi. No one is going to the docks or the early morning fish markets to buy real sushi grade fish. Again, eat at your own risk.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:07 am
If the fish is fresh enough, you can deep freeze it to make it safe to eat raw.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:10 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
If the fish is fresh enough, you can deep freeze it to make it safe to eat raw.

The fish comes frozen from Bingo

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:22 am
As posted, it is doubtful whether the tuna sold by Bingo is of the high quality that is considered to be sushi grade tuna.

If you are used to mediocre sushi which is disguised by sauces and spices, then it is fine. If yo are used to eating sushi grade sashimi or nigiri then it wouldn't be acceptable.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The fish comes frozen from Bingo

Bingo doesn't certify that it has been frozen to safety standards.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:31 am
Go to Freunds fish store, they also have a separate sushi shop, and ask for sushi grade tuna. See if it's any different. My experience is that it's not. It still tastes good as a chopped tuna tartar or with small pieces in a sushi roll.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:12 am
I have bought raw tuna from bingo, moisha’s, and glattmatt. While I have eaten both the moisha’s and glattmart raw I would never eat the bingo raw.
Bingo is definitely a much lower quality - even when cooking it.
It has a much fishier taste.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:14 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I have bought raw tuna from bingo, moisha’s, and glattmatt. While I have eaten both the moisha’s and glattmart raw I would never eat the bingo raw.
Bingo is definitely a much lower quality - even when cooking it.
It has a much fishier taste.

Very Happy Good fish should never smell fishy. Very Happy

When I introduced my mother to sushi - the real nigiri rolls which means the fish has to stand on its own with no sauces, spices and not chopped up - she couldn't believe that it had absolutely no fishy odor or taste. She ate it with her fingers and even her fingers had no fishy after smell.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics