Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Customers who change their mind
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:04 am
I am feeling upset.
I work in a food related business, providing a food item for parties. I recently had two customers who ordered this item for x amount of people, which I provided. They then got upset at me because there wasn't enough, because xyz people showed up (more than x). In one case, she originally ordered for 50, then reduced to 40, so when 50+ people showed up, she got upset that there wasn't enough...
In another case they ordered enough for 15, but 30 people showed up...
I'm just annoyed because their anger is misplaced. I do not think I am at fault here. Argh

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:06 am
Can you get a written contract for next time?

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:07 am
You are not at fault, but this is why people have written contracts, official policies, etc.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:07 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Can you get a written contract for next time?

They're not refusing to pay, I just don't like these angry feelings when the mistake was their own

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They're not refusing to pay, I just don't like these angry feelings when the mistake was their own

It wasn't a mistake. They assume that caterers provide extra, just in case, and that servings are bigger than necessary, so they purposely order too little, then are upset when there isn't enough.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:13 am
I know that for example with wedding halls, many caterers will have extra food on hand and if the numbers go over, they will provide the extra and charge for it. The amount, etc..is written in the contract.

My sister told me that at her daughter's wedding, her husband's siblings from his father's second marriage did not say they were coming (they had very little contact or relationship with her husband) and then they all showed up with their spouses. B"H the caterer was able to set up an extra table by both the men and ladies, but they charged her for the extra people, and it was a considerable sum. But avoided an embarrassing and uncomfortable situation.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The angry feelings are probably at themselves that they didn't order enough, but they may be projecting it at you. don't take it to heart. Maybe in the future you can advise customers that sometimes it's worth it to order a bit more so they are on the safe side.
Bhatzlocha

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:16 am
SixOfWands wrote:
It wasn't a mistake. They assume that caterers provide extra, just in case, and that servings are bigger than necessary, so they purposely order too little, then are upset when there isn't enough.

This might be excusable if it were one or two people. But if it's an extra 10 people, or double the amount of people (30 from 15 portions) then it most definitely is a mistake.

trixx

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:19 am
That would make sense if op is a caterer but not if she sells custom cookies, desserts etc which is specialty and custom made

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:20 am
I recently posted about this. I ordered for over 30 people. I was told they will send enough for 40. They didn't. They sent papergoods and main food for 15 and rolls for 40.

I went to complain. It was a highly embarrassing situation. This was a store that caters. They confirmed that we didn't recieve enough food, then dont know why because the kitchen prepped it.

The store decided that since it's their fault we dont have to pay.

In your case if you delivered everything they ordered then they need to pay.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:21 am
Chayalle wrote:
This might be excusable if it were one or two people. But if it's an extra 10 people, or double the amount of people (30 from 15 portions) then it most definitely is a mistake.

Sadly, I've met people who do this.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:22 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I know that for example with wedding halls, many caterers will have extra food on hand and if the numbers go over, they will provide the extra and charge for it. The amount, etc..is written in the contract.

My sister told me that at her daughter's wedding, her husband's siblings from his father's second marriage did not say they were coming (they had very little contact or relationship with her husband) and then they all showed up with their spouses. B"H the caterer was able to set up an extra table by both the men and ladies, but they charged her for the extra people, and it was a considerable sum. But avoided an embarrassing and uncomfortable situation.

This is a good idea. Not sure how to implement it (because I don't stay throughout the event) but I will think of a way to do something along these lines.

Thanks everyone.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:23 am
ShishKabob wrote:
The angry feelings are probably at themselves that they didn't order enough, but they may be projecting it at you. don't take it to heart. Maybe in the future you can advise customers that sometimes it's worth it to order a bit more so they are on the safe side.
Bhatzlocha

Also a good idea!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am feeling upset.
I work in a food related business, providing a food item for parties. I recently had two customers who ordered this item for x amount of people, which I provided. They then got upset at me because there wasn't enough, because xyz people showed up (more than x). In one case, she originally ordered for 50, then reduced to 40, so when 50+ people showed up, she got upset that there wasn't enough...
In another case they ordered enough for 15, but 30 people showed up...
I'm just annoyed because their anger is misplaced. I do not think I am at fault here. Argh

Do you have a formula where you calculate 1.5x (or whatever your experience is) the amount of people, that you recommend when orders are placed? Caterers have a formula.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a good idea. Not sure how to implement it (because I don't stay throughout the event) but I will think of a way to do something along these lines.

Thanks everyone.

Send a text message day before saying you want to confirm their order of 40 pieces, and they sure they don't need to increase the quantity? This way there's a chance to communicate any changes that have happened since the order. And it also covers you so they can't be angry that lack of communicating on their part is your fault.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:52 am
I was a caterer for ten years. You should always have enough to cover minimum ten percent more guests and then charge when you use it. And frankly, who needs customers like that anyways?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I understand.
But they’re trying to take advantage of you.

So next time you will show them their signed contract, and remind them that this is the amount they ordered and that you’ve kept your end of the contract but they dodnt.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 12:11 pm
If I understand it correctly - you aren't a caterer - you are supplying a specific food item. In other words you aren't responsible for making sure people leave the event full. Can you contract for X amount of food item, rather than reference the number of people coming to the event?

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 8:42 pm
I am a caterer too. If I asked someone to provide food at a party I am catering, I expect what I ordered, not more than enough to feed extra people. It's my responsibility to order the right amount. (ie: if I was told to expect 50 people, I may order for 55 just in case).

You did right, don't feel bad. But the next time they order, raise your price and provide more.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 8:45 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I am a caterer too. If I asked someone to provide food at a party I am catering, I expect what I ordered, not more than enough to feed extra people. It's my responsibility to order the right amount. (ie: if I was told to expect 50 people, I may order for 55 just in case).

You did right, don't feel bad. But the next time they order, raise your price and provide more.

If you run out of food because of extra guests everyone will think it’s your fault. That’s why I always made extra.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics