Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone have experience with anisometropic amblyopia?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:39 am
DS10 was just diagnosed with anisometropic amblyopia. One eye is +4.25 while the other is plano. He was also prescribed a patch to wear for 2 hours daily. Although I am grateful he is healthy and this should be the worst health problem our family should experience, I am bothered by the great difference in prescriptions. Not only do I find a plus lens very unattractive, in this case, one lens will be quite thick while the other won't have any prescription at all!!

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:40 pm
Been there, done that, though it was quite a few years ago.

You can ask your eye doctor or whoever you are having make the eyeglasses if they can make the glasses with thin lenses - it really does cut down on the thickness quite a bit.

If you or your child is worried, they may be able to make the non prescription side a bit thicker looking so that the two will balance out and not be noticeable as different. Though I have to tell you, lots of people have different prescription strengths for each eye and you generally can't tell unless you look really closely at them.

Feel free to ask any questions you'd like. We did glasses/patching/drops for one of my kids with amblyopia for years, happy to help if I can :-)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:03 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Been there, done that, though it was quite a few years ago.

You can ask your eye doctor or whoever you are having make the eyeglasses if they can make the glasses with thin lenses - it really does cut down on the thickness quite a bit.

If you or your child is worried, they may be able to make the non prescription side a bit thicker looking so that the two will balance out and not be noticeable as different. Though I have to tell you, lots of people have different prescription strengths for each eye and you generally can't tell unless you look really closely at them.

Feel free to ask any questions you'd like. We did glasses/patching/drops for one of my kids with amblyopia for years, happy to help if I can :-)

Thanks!
A convex lens for farsightedness is much more noticeable than a concave lens for nearsightedness, all the more so when it's such a drastic difference. I can see how a concave lens can easily be confused with a plano lens. Not so much a convex lens.

whewpy

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:13 pm
Ask them to use the thinnest lens possible. Also get a frame with rim so its less noticeable. (medically our eye Dr requests this because it helps the lazy eye focus. When threes a rim. Several of my kids have a bigger difference and its not noticeable. Some stores are better than others at this

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:16 pm
Anyone else?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:22 pm
My DD has this. We had plastic lenses made for her, because they are more lightweight and you can make the thickness more symmetrical.

She's 16 now, and her eye has pretty much corrected. It only really turns in when she's overtired, or coming down with a flu/cold. B'H, she's not a self conscious kid, and she's not embarrassed to go on sleep overs and have her friend see her when she takes off her glasses.

lizoo123

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:27 pm
Can you ask for him to be fit in a contact lens, I work as an optometrist and I do that for a lot of patients, it's good for the patient because it doesn't cause relative size difference like glasses do and he would only have to wear in one eye

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:28 pm
We had this, I guess ours was a mild case as I never noticed anything unsightly about the lenses and they were never thick. The good news is that if you're good about wearing the glasses and patching this is correctible, my child's perscription has been going down steadily over the last 3 years, she is no longer considered amblyopic. I don't know who diagnosed/is treating, but I would recommend a developmental optometrist over an opthalmologist, they have better training with vision issues like this, they sometimes also start off with a lower prescription so they have room to move up, instead of starting off at the highest possible one. In general they will have a more holistic view of the condition, can also recommend vision therapy for optimal outcome

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:33 pm
I'm nearsighted, but I've always had a very high prescription (think like -13) and thick lenses. A great optometrist will be able to help you find the best frames for his prescription. I've been wearing glasses for almost 30 years and just got a pair that doesn't make my eyes look distorted for the first time!! (I wear contacts most of the time.)

Ask the optometrist to recommend a frame (for me, larger lenses plus a thicker plastic frame - which happens to be stylish right now - did the trick) and ask for the thinnest lenses possible (you'll pay more, but it's worth it!).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:36 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
We had this, I guess ours was a mild case as I never noticed anything unsightly about the lenses and they were never thick. The good news is that if you're good about wearing the glasses and patching this is correctible, my child's perscription has been going down steadily over the last 3 years, she is no longer considered amblyopic. I don't know who diagnosed/is treating, but I would recommend a developmental optometrist over an opthalmologist, they have better training with vision issues like this, they sometimes also start off with a lower prescription so they have room to move up, instead of starting off at the highest possible one. In general they will have a more holistic view of the condition, can also recommend vision therapy for optimal outcome

How old was your child when she statted wearing glasses/patch? Because at the age of 10 (DS's age) they don't expect his prescription to decrease that much. Hopefully somewhat. Patching may not help much either.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 5:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How old was your child when she statted wearing glasses/patch? Because at the age of 10 (DS's age) they don't expect his prescription to decrease that much. Hopefully somewhat. Patching may not help much either.
yeah, my kid was 5 but I newer research is showing that correction is possible even at older ages. I would definitely try to get evaluated for vision therapy, the more modalities you try the better your chances of correction

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 8:50 pm
So I need to order patches. The doctor recommended the Coverlet or Ortopad brands. Coverlet seems to be cheaper. Which is better?

Oh, the mother's guilt! Why didn't we catch this earlier? But truthfully, he was examined by an eye doctor as a baby and had vision screenings in preschool, plus at the pediatrician at his annual well visits. What else could I have done? He only started complaining about his vision recently.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics