Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary questions
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:47 am
Trying to find out more about Bnos Avigayil and machon raaya in terms of hashkafa and the types of girls that go. Are they both in town type? Academically similar? And how do they compare to seminar, Bnos Sara or bya?
Thanks

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Trying to find out more about Bnos Avigayil and machon raaya in terms of hashkafa and the types of girls that go. Are they both in town type? Academically similar? And how do they compare to seminar, Bnos Sara or bya?
Thanks

You say, how do they compare to Seminar, Bnos Sara, or BYA. So I guess you have a handle on those? Because I don't know if a girl who would apply to Bnos Sara would apply to the other 2 and vv. No judgments, just saying very different types.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:38 am
Machon Raaya is VERY in-town and wealthy. The girls tend to be materialistic. It's supposed to be a more intellectual place and it's the most liberal/centrist of the Bais Yaakov seminaries. They strongly differentiate between ikar halacha and anything added- so, for example, they taught their girls that the ikar halacha is that the arm needs to be covered to the elbow, but not including the elbow. No other BY seminary would teach such a thing.

Bnos Avigayil seems much more out-of-town and simpler. Also more yeshivish, I think.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:11 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
You say, how do they compare to Seminar, Bnos Sara, or BYA. So I guess you have a handle on those? Because I don't know if a girl who would apply to Bnos Sara would apply to the other 2 and vv. No judgments, just saying very different types.

Many girls apply to all three, actually.

Certainly Bnos Sara and Bnos Avigayil is very typical.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:23 am
I heard it’s more intown than Bnos Avigayil didn’t realize it’s considered more materialistic etc. do you know which ny high schools the girls are coming from? Is it as fancy for example as a place like nachlas? Just trying to figure out whether it’s a place for her to consider.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:25 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Many girls apply to all three, actually.

Certainly Bnos Sara and Bnos Avigayil is very typical.

I meant Seminar, Bnos Sara, and BYA.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I heard it’s more intown than Bnos Avigayil didn’t realize it’s considered more materialistic etc. do you know which ny high schools the girls are coming from? Is it as fancy for example as a place like nachlas? Just trying to figure out whether it’s a place for her to consider.

My DD is currently in seminary. The girls in her grade in Machon Raaya are the fanciest as well as the most academic. Super super fancy and also very hard-working, top students.

She has a friend in Bnos Avigayil from OOT. Spunky, friendly, smart nice girl.

Seminar is more chilled, not as academic.

Bnos Sarah is academic/intellectual but more yeshivish.

BYA is yeshivish but not super-academic.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:52 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
My DD is currently in seminary. The girls in her grade in Machon Raaya are the fanciest as well as the most academic. Super super fancy and also very hard-working, top students.

She has a friend in Bnos Avigayil from OOT. Spunky, friendly, smart nice girl.

Seminar is more chilled, not as academic.

Bnos Sarah is academic/intellectual but more yeshivish.

BYA is yeshivish but not super-academic.

All of this seems to be pretty accurate.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My sister was there two years ago. This is what she said:

"For very intelligent girls, but more the intellectual type than necessarily just the study hard and memorize everything type (so different from BJJ in that way). For girls who are into dressing very nicely.

1/3 of Manhattan High School was in Machon Raaya."

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:56 pm
Can anyone tell me the difference between Seminar and Bnos Sarah? Or between Tehilas, Nachlas and Seminar?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 12:05 am
What about Bnos Batsheva?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 12:06 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I meant Seminar, Bnos Sara, and BYA.

I know many who applied to those 3. They do attract a similar crowd.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 9:07 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I know many who applied to those 3. They do attract a similar crowd.

That's interesting. I had girls who went to two of those seminaries and there didn't seem to be much overlap. That's going to be make it really confusing for OP.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 9:37 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Can anyone tell me the difference between Seminar and Bnos Sarah? Or between Tehilas, Nachlas and Seminar?

From the girls in my DD's grade who are there now - Bnos Sarah is way more academic than Seminar, the girls who went are top students. Your regular, happy-go-lucky well-adjusted average student is in Seminar.

Nachlas girls are a bit more in-towny Jappy than the Seminar girls.

I don't know anything about Tehillas.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 6:43 pm
Does anyone know about tehilas? Also, which schools are very in town and which schools are very out of town? Tehillas, Bnos Sarah, BYA, Seminar, Nachlas?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:28 pm
What can you tell me about Bnos Chava and Meohr?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:49 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Does anyone know about tehilas? Also, which schools are very in town and which schools are very out of town? Tehillas, Bnos Sarah, BYA, Seminar, Nachlas?

Bnos sarah is the most out of town, nachlas is the most in town. Seminar and BYA are in between- a lot of in town girls but not necessarily the fanciest type, plenty of out of town girls.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:56 pm
And where does machon raaya and Bnos Avigail fall in?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:00 pm
And bnos chava and meohr?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:00 pm
And just so I’m clear, when you write in town does that mean simply that the girls are from ny or they’re from ny and fancy?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics