Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Yeshiva week vs winter vacation

What do you call it?
Yeshiva week  
 14%  [ 8 ]
Winter vacation/break  
 80%  [ 45 ]
Say it in a different language altogether  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other, what?  
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 56

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 7:38 am
I think there was a similar thread once, but since it’s starting again, I wanted to do a poll. I don’t remember the thread and didn’t really read it at the time.

When did the phrase yeshiva week come to be? The first place I heard of it was from imamother and only a couple of years ago. Personally, I don’t like it for whatever reason and I still call it winter vacation or break. For that matter, so does my ds’s yeshiva.

A side question, how long do your children’s school give off and elementary or high school? My elementary since we’re here, is always 2 weeks, the last two weeks in July. Public school schedule. My high schoolers, one doesn’t have, but has off a bit for chanukah and the other 10 days and also a bit off for chanukah. I feel bad for the one that doesn’t have and not sure why they don’t.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 9:27 am
We call it yeshiva week because it’s at the end of the zman in late January not the public school winter break at the end of December. It’s a week.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 9:28 am
Which week is yeshiva week btw? Our midwinter vacation does not coincide with yeshiva week.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 9:47 am
yeshiva week is so weird

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:20 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
We call it yeshiva week because it’s at the end of the zman in late January not the public school winter break at the end of December. It’s a week.

The winter zman finishes Rosh Chodesh Nissan. Taking a week off in the winter references the American (or broadly secular) school system, not the traditional yeshiva schedule.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:22 am
Yeshiva week is a very specific week. It's the week most MO schools are off on the east coast. Everyone else uses the term mid winter vacation and that vacation varies by school and is not a specific time.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:24 am
It’s a NY/NJ MO thing. It’s called that because most all of the MO yeshivas here give off the same week in January.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:31 am
What what is yeshiva week? Ok this goes on the alien thread for me...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:33 am
MO -Bergen County here.

It is the week (week and a half) when many of the Yeshiva Day Schools are off in January, in contrast to Winter Vacation, which to the "rest of the world" -coworker's, public school, extra curricular activities, some Yeshiva Day Schools.... are all closed ~12/23-1/2.

Many of the schools have gone back-and-forth trying to determine which is better to give off, as when parents, or siblings who are out-of-the-box learners, are off during winter vacation and the YDS are closed during yeshiva week, it's very complicated to plan a family vacation or even have child-care coverage.

egam

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:34 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
What what is yeshiva week? Ok this goes on the alien thread for me...

It’s a week in the end of January, when it’s highly advisable to stay away from Florida, unless you made all your dinner reservations Rosh Hashona time. 😂

s c

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:45 am
Am in the UK and have never before heard this name used..had to read through to see what you were talking about.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:46 am
egam wrote:
It’s a week in the end of January, when it’s highly advisable to stay away from Florida, unless you made all your dinner reservations Rosh Hashona time. 😂

Thumbs Up
Thanks for the heads up. yikes! I need to cancel my reservations made for the next 2 January’s Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics