Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Wool tzitzis turned rough after washing SOS!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 9:16 am
What did I do wrong?
It became a “bubbly”, creased texture instead of the flat, new look.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:55 am
Did you machine wash, use hot water, rub a lot or wring the fabric? Wool must be washed in cold water with minimal handling, just squeezing suds gently through the fabric, otherwise the fibers may together and you get what you got. Oh, and air dry!

You may be able to rescue the fabric somewhat by wetting it, rolling in a towel, pulling it straight and then air- drying flat on a rack or towel-covered surface.

You could also press it using a clean white cloth between the iron and the fabric and pressing the iron up and down, not sliding it. If pressing dry fabric, use a damp press cloth and steam iron. If pressing damp fabric, use dry cloth and dry iron. Use the coolest setting that works.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:00 am
zaq wrote:
Did you machine wash, use hot water, rub a lot or wring the fabric? Wool must be washed in cold water with minimal handling, just squeezing suds gently through the fabric, otherwise the fibers may together and you get what you got. Oh, and air dry!

You may be able to rescue the fabric somewhat by wetting it, rolling in a towel, pulling it straight and then air- drying flat on a rack or towel-covered surface.

You could also press it using a clean white cloth between the iron and the fabric and pressing the iron up and down, not sliding it. If pressing dry fabric, use a damp press cloth and steam iron. If pressing damp fabric, use dry cloth and dry iron. Use the coolest setting that works.

All this! I wash wool in cold water in a mesh laundry bag. ALWAYS air dry. If the problem is that it shrunk a bit from heat, you might be able to stretch it by re-dampening and ironing (on the lowest heat!) while stretching. If the problem is just that it is rough, a 1/4c. of vinegar in the rinse cycle acts as a natural conditioner and softener. You can also use diluted vinegar to hand wash post laundering. Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:13 am
I believe I washed it in a warm cycle.
Is it salvageable if I rehash in cold water, with vinegar?
And how do I iron it so it comes out nicely?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics