Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Here’s how I did it (tonight) with 6+

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:16 pm
For those of you who’ve been wondering how
those of us with 6+ manage , here’s how it went down tonight ..
3:00 - 2 yr old and 4 yr old home- snack together and play while I put up supper
4:00 - 7 and 9 year old home
Supper shift #1 for 4 little ones - breaded tilapia sticks ( premade, just had to fry them ) rewarmed mac & cheese , cucumbers .
4:45 - 11 and 14 yr old home
Supper shift #2 - veg soup, salmon and broccoli . This included hub and I . He was working from home today .

Some (many ?) kids didn’t like any supper and made themselves grilled cheese. I think my 4 year old ended up eating two granola bars . No one went to sleep hungry .

Only the 9 year old took a bath. The others took last night and seemed pretty clean. Otherwise we listened to music , downloaded some new songs , danced, and ate up my delicious 2 year old . Bedtime was staggered , starting at 7. Did homework with older ones as the younger ones were falling asleep .. on the 2nd floor hallway to guard the bedroom doors. It really wasn’t hectic or crazy at all.

If you’re wondering about the + in 6+, I am due any day Smile

Anyone else wanna share how you did it tonight ??

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:28 pm
Sounds pretty good! Here's how I did.

Home all day with newborn, 11/2 yr old and 2 1/2 yr old. (Day one of potty training)

3pm- the 4 yr old comes home - after school snack for everyone chocolate leben's and cheese sticks all around

5:20 pm - the 10 yr old comes home. Everyone has their first dinner- falafel, chummus, salad, roasted eggplant

Everyone poops, does HW (even the 4 yr old had 4 pages of HW from morah), changes

The toddlers bathed - they looked like they had a tan - it was just leben

Everyone else bathed last night

7ish maybe 8ish I lost count - second dinner all around - cereal and milk

Brush teeth- PJs

Desperately need a shower. Everyone already in PJs. DH in kitchen scrolling on phone.

Hear toooons of banging and screaming while I'm shower. Ignore it.

Come out of shower. 3 kids in diapers/underwear only. No one in PJs anymore ...

DH falls asleep with 2 yr old. I sit with 4 yr old while I take a call for a project. 1 yr old falls asleep last while rolling around in living room floor.

10 yr old still up "just let me finish this chapter"

Here I am sitting in the dark eating cold chicken wings...

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:32 pm
Yep I work full time and I have a 2 month old and 3 year old. My husband works more than full time (doesnt come home till 930-10). And I have no family anywhere nearby. So I cheat and pay a young girl in my community to be my mother's helper.
Put up load of laundry before work. Bounce baby in bouncer while I fold and put away, and girl feeds 3 year old dinner.
Sheet pan dinner/crockpot dinner/ one pot dinner.
3 year old and girl put away toys while I nurse baby.
Girl hangs out with baby while I bathe 3 year old and do bedtime routine.
Girl leaves. I take 15 min to clean (different thing every day. One day bathrooms, one day dusting, one day vacuuming, one day mopping, etc) and bathe baby, pack 3 year old school bag, make my and hubby's lunch.
Hubby comes home, I take a 2 second shower, we both eat dinner while passing cranky pants baby around and bouncing in bouncer.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:35 pm
4 kids.
2 pm- 4 year old comes home.
We make supper and then pick up my 7 year old and bring him to OT.
5:30- 11 year old and 9 year old come home same time as I come home from therapy. We eat supper - grilled chicken sandwiches with sweet potatoes.
6:30- homework together with crying and yelling.
7- 4 year old put to bed.
7:30- older kids beg for a video and I give in because otherwise they will just fight
9- take it away. Hear some banging and yelling .
10- it’s all quiet in the house

shanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 1:13 am
Love this thread. It’s so real and human

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 1:26 am
Im a night shift nurse so I woke up at 3 showered and started dinner
4pm picked up 2 yo
415 11yo and 7yo come home, snacks, hmwk, finish making dinner
530 pack myself up and get dressed to get out the door at 6
545 13yo comes home, brief hello. How was your day
6 - 7 commute to start my shift
At home dh train arrived at 615, picked up coat we forgot at pediatrician then came home to serve dinner and
700/730 start baths, play/read/bedtime with younger kids before overseeing hmwk for 13yo. He carpooled to mishmar (by then 3 younger kids settled in bed asleep or reading)

I'm at work until 730

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 1:45 am
Here’s a little rundown from our day Smile
2:45 playgrouper comes home- today was straight away therapy
3:15 preschooler 1 comes home (while I was still finishing up with the therapist)
3:55 preschooler 2 comes home
We have snacks and talk and kids find toys to play
I’m stuck on the phone trying to figure out a complicated out of state multiple appointments scheduling
4:30 7yo comes home and joins her sibs.
I remember that I have to reorder meds and once again get stuck on the phone for over an hr!! with a rep who had to report adverse effects. Luckily, kids are pretty much occupying themselves while I reheat dinner (leftovers)
Take a quick bathroom break & email Dr filling her in to expect a call from Pfizer
6:00 sit down to eat (kids complaining they don’t want so gotta make it exciting)
6:15 PT arrives so that pretty much finishes toddlers appetite
6:45 therapist leaves
We resume supper and start serving soup and sides
7:00 yay! Daddy is home. I let him take over while I escape the crowded kitchen and serve myself in the dining room.
Nurse leaves for the day (for 4 hrs she was sitting staring at the wall or her phone whatever)
7:30 daddy starts baths/bedtime for 3 big ones while I do the medical stuff
8:15 I quickly bathe toddler and get her ready for bed & run to log on & sign into work. Nurse baby while checking/responding to work emails. shush the kids who don’t fall asleep till after 9:30...

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 3:39 am
rough times and stuff, but you can get the picture!
all day - 3 younger kids home. constant interruptions for cups of water, diaper changes, more food, baby doing non-age-appropriate activities.
2:30 - school over for most kids. encourage homework, deal with "I'm bored", nurse baby, change diapers, mediate disagreements, try to finish up work
5:00 - calls for supper begin. we are out of everything because there wasn't time to go shopping. procrastinate.
5:30 - give up on procrastination because getting nudged too much. realize that you can't start supper without clearing the counter. clear counter. put in a load of dishes.
5:45 - start making pasta for supper and cutting vegetables.
5:50 - child complains that we aren't following the menu. agree happily to their alternative suggestion for supper (which is easier than yours).
6:00 - go get a tablecloth. can't find tablecloth. get flat sheet. daughter informs you that the tablecloths are on your bed where she put them while sorting some of the laundry. thank her and use the sheet anyhow since you are already holding it. it gets some laughter points.
6:05 - all kids served. baby keeps needing seconds and thirds of pasta.
6:30 - vegetables ready. remind kids not to take all for themselves because there is never a way to make enough of these to make everyone happy.
6:40 - tray of vegetables completely empty in kitchen. start reminding kids to finish up eating, take showers and clean up their places. (the latter does not happen.)
6:45 - last child back from school.
6:50 - cousin calls from overseas to speak to one of the children. child leaves table to speak.
7:30 - baby starting to show signs of tiredness. nurse baby to sleep. baby sits up and decides to go back for another round of playing. decide to try to finish the project while baby is happy.
7:35 - toddler needs someone to sit near her in bed. know that she won't stay in bed but come anyhow.
7:45 - convince toilet-training toddler that after accident #x it's a good idea to sleep with a diaper.
8:00 - turn on story tapes to convince everyone that it is actually bedtime. turn off lights downstairs to remind everyone that it is actually night. child complains that she can't find pajamas. put in another load of laundry and convince her that the ones she has are good enough.
8:05 - hear hysterical laughter from one of the bedrooms. baby (under 18 months) has apparently learned how to climb the ladder of the bunkbed. the kids try to block the ladder with pillows. baby picks up pillows and gives them to another child to allow access to the ladder.
8:30 - child complains that baby needs a bath (had one yesterday). tell child they are welcome to give bath even though it is late. (child decides it isn't that important after all.)
9:00 - baby put back to sleep for the nth time. notice kids reading in hallway and decide not to intervene.
9:15 - complaints that the story is not good. switch stories.
9:25 - put baby back to sleep again. this time baby stays asleep.
10:00 - all stories are over. most kids are asleep. remember that I didn't have supper. now seize the uninterrupted moments to finish the work, or not.

Aylat

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 4:07 am
6 kids bH. Yesterday:

Kids 8-14 home since 12.45/1.30 because of security situation here in Israel. Everyone complains they are starving and there is no food in the house. They're not wrong, we have run down our stocks and need to do a big shop. I go out to the local store to but some staples, older kid watches sleeping baby. Everyone makes the lunch they feel like eating- pitta or pasta and snack on vegetables.

Afternoon passes by, kids entertain themselves on the computer, writing a book with friends, playing with neighbours, magic tricks. I try and do some chores but can't settle to anything because of the rockets (not in our area then bH). Feed baby and put to sleep.

4pm 14 yo picks up 5yo, taking baby with her in the buggy (she loves parading around with her new brother). Afternoon activities continue. Just after 5 I go to retrieve DS5 from park where he has gone without permission.

I make supper around 6, macaroni and sauce. Kids eat. Baby won't settle. Have a guest for the night who is like family and she takes the baby so I can eat. DD14 goes out to youth group activity. DH comes home at 7 with supermarket shop, kids help bring it in from car. I start putting away shopping but am really tired. Don't start kids on their chores til 8, so they are tired too and don't finish them, house is a mess. (We were doing really well with kids' chores this past month, will have to get back into it.)

DH takes nap and goes to the gym. 8.30 I hustle the kids into pyjamas and teeth-brushing, feed the baby and sit with DS8 in bed. 9.30pm our guest offers to babysit so I can go swimming, I gratefully accept.

DS12, 10 and 5 go to sleep while I am out, guest holds fussy baby. 10pm DD14 comes home with friends, they leave by 11.

I get home 11.30pm, feed baby, and feed some more. Put him to sleep. Go to sleep at 1am.

Siren at 6.30 this morning.

Some days are smoother, some less. Yesterday I was stressed and tired. But I think I only yelled once, so achievement!

Dina2018

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 5:30 am
shanarishona wrote:
Love this thread. It’s so real and human
me too, love love live this thread!

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 5:48 am
get home at 4 with everyone in tow.
take a quick snack - nuts and coffee- everyone joins in., also fruit and crackers with cheese
peel and cut up potatoes and sweet potatoes and stick it in the oven.

4:30 - take dd to a friend
run errands with three kids (short errands- drop off sheitel, etc)
older kids at home reading/on the computer
pick dd up from friend

5:45 - take out fish from the freezer, pour on sauce and into the oven.
veggie soup from freezer into a pot

6:00- baths for 2 youngest. I cut nails!
6:30 set the table, dh comes home

7 - 7:30 supper. 4 year old falls asleep after 1 bite. 2 year old throws her sweet potatoes everywhere...

dh does cleanup, I get middle kids into the bath, some skip if they had the day before , older kids homework and phone calls with friends

house is quiet by 9:30

Thank G-D for minimal homework policy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nicole81

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 7:36 am
My sitter leaves at 5 when my 13, 9, and 3yo come home. 9yo does her hw indepently while 13yo babysits the 3 and 1yo. I had a late night at work and came home at 630. Dh had just gotten home and put up fish sticks and slice cucumbers, which is what the youngest 3 ate at 700. Plus ketchup. A lot of ketchup.

At that point 13yo did her hw on the main floor, stopping to argue with the little ones or talk to us over the next hour. I'm not sure what she ate for dinner, but she definitely ate something.

My 14yo dd came home at 645. We chatted a bit, she washed out her lunch container, and then sat down to do hw for the next 3 hours. She made herself some leftovers in the meantime.

I sat down with the little ones for dinner at 7. But I didn't eat. After dinner, 1, 3, and 9yo ran around playing and making a mess lol for a half hour while dh and I intermittently helped them lay out clothing for tomorrow, get changed, and had them brush their teeth.

15yo ds came home at 815, washed out lunch container, packed his own lunch for the next day while taking extras out of the freezer for 14yos lunch, touched base with dh, and then went to his room to do hw.

We started bedtime for the 3 and 9yo at 820. I then nursed the 1yo while 13yo dd soaked her foot in the bathroom next door (?) and she chatted on and off with me. 13yo then got to bed before I brought the baby back at 9pm. When I got to the room, 3 and 9yo were still up so I said goodnight again and BH they went to sleep.

I came down from this second bedtime at 915 and found dh finishing up his own dinner of leftovers. We talked for 10 min and then he headed down to learn with 15yo ds and support him in writing a dvar Torah for a school brunch. (Also not sure what and when this kid ate, but he definitely did).

14yo dd wrapped up her hw at 927 we talked for 10 min while I scared down a pastry before she headed into the shower.

At that point I got ready for bed. Dh came up about 950, bearing leftover pad thai noodles. I ate some, left the container on his side of the bed, and then fell asleep while he was showering. 15yo ds also showered at some point before bed.

I confirmed in the morning that he cleaned up the pad thai before turning in for the night 😊

Rinse and repeat... Except that today I will get home 2 hours earlier bh, which means earlier dinner and bedtime for the little ones, showers for them, and more time for the teens.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:52 am
Thank you to all who posted, giving me encouragement to spend more down time with my kids. I need to work it into my schedule and be more organized I think.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:02 am
Currently have 5 kids but pregnant with #6 I"yh do figured I could still answer. This was last night:
4pm get home from work and go straight to pick up 2 1/2 year old from playgroup.
4:15 walk in the door
4:15-4:45 finish up dinner prep (made a pot of spaghetti, meatballs were premade and taken from the freezer) and put away dry breakfast dishes. Give 2 yr old a snack/drink etc.
4:45- 5, 7, 9, and 10 year old come home. Get them started and help with homework.
5:20 serve dinner to kids.
6:00 bathe 2 year old and get older kids to start showering.
6:20-7:15- prep kids snack and lunches for the next day, continue helping older kids with homework, make sure each kid gets in the shower as previous one gets out, clean up from kids dinner.
7:15 put youngest to bed then collapse for 15 minutes because I'm exhausted and back and feet hurt.
7:30 DH gets home with grocery order (I had placed the order earlier in the day but it wasn't easy before I left work so DH picked it up on his way home).
7:30-7:45 put away perishables from grocery order. Sent 5 and 7 year old to bed.
7:45 ate dinner
8:15 put away remaining groceries with dh
8:30 finish cleaning up with dh, sent 9 and 10 year old to bed.
8:50 begin dinner prep for the next day.
9:15 sit down to relax for a few minutes while checking email, answering some missed texts, etc.
10:00 shower
10:35 in bed

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 12:07 pm
Wow... with only 3 kids my schedule is a lot lighter and somehow still completely exhausting...
Work till 3:15.
Pick up babies and arrive home on time for the bus at 3:30 (the bus arrives 3:28 so, pick up preschooler from neighbor amid many apologies) and meet babies' therapist at the front door.
3:50 Stick chicken rice veggies into oven, and container soup into microwave (from freezer), then sit on couch and watch therapist play with kids, and schmooze with preschooler.
4:50 Therapist leaves. Stick babies into hichairs and preschooler by the table and serve soup.
5:00 Kids onto floor to play for 20 minutes till supper is ready (usually I have supper ready for 5:00, but was speaking to therapist and schedule got messed up)
5:20 serve supper to kids
6:00 all kids upstairs and into bath, bathe babies.
6:20 husband home, gratefully have him bathe preschooler. And give bottles to babies.
6:30 Babies into bed
6:45 Preschooler into bed (and out of bed, bathroom visit...)
7:00 Sit down to supper with husband
7:20ish Husband goes up to settle everyone down again and at last peace reigns.
7:30 I'm collapsed on the couch
8:00 Husband calls me upstairs to help him organize the "important papers drawer" because he just realized that he doesn't know where his passport is. That drawer is a mess and gives me nightmares. I realize that now is as good time as ever, and head to slay my dragon.
9:00 Back on the couch, husband out to get some groceries and to shul
10:00 Shower
Into bed with magazine

I'm ultra impressed with those of you who have so many kids. You are my hero.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 1:09 pm
Great thread! I have 3+ (expecting my 4th iyh)

3:15 Leave work, pick up 2 year old. Run errand for fundraiser for son’s school. Get home, put up supper (spaghetti and meatballs, lots of veggies for hubby who is on a diet.) Play with 2 year old.
4:20 5 year old gets home, give snack of healthy muffins from the freezer and do homework
4:50 8 year old gets home, give snack (muffins), do some housework while the big kids entertain 2 year old
5:15 Supper for everyone, talk about our day, when everyone is done play time
6:15 Bathe 2 year old, bedtime
6:30 5 year old takes shower, help with bedtime routine
7:00 8 year old takes shower, do homework with him when he comes out and all is quiet
8:00 Husband comes home, supper with him
9:00 Back to work on my laptop Smile
10:00 Straighten up kitchen, prepare kids clothing and briefcases for the next day
11:00 Shower and bed

Bh I feel like I have my schedule down pat, but the only thing missing is downtime for me. One day...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 8:38 pm
OP here and I am now being punished for patting myself on the back last night. My 2 yr old is refusing to go sleep and is currently in the hallway throwing whatever she can down the steps. My 7 year old is gleefully watching the show and my 5 year old is listening from his bed and cheering her on. I’m too tired to discipline and my husbands at work . This is gonna be a looong night.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 8:46 pm
Don't worry. No one is in bed here. They just finished a jar of pickle juice and have again taken off their pajamas for the second night in the row. It's freezing and they are naked and refuse clothing and refuse sleep ...

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:19 am
6 kids +38 weeks pregnant. Dropped off 2 little ones at 2 different schools around 9am, did some errands, hospital appointment. Ran back home to change because my shirt was no longer covering my belly as I walked. Took care of some messages I had to send, proofread/edited an email for DH, tried to call to make blood test appointment for DS1. Drove an hour to where I teach, stopped in at the library, and taught 12th grade girls class. Picked up DD1 from school and a colleague I was giving a ride home to. Drove round the corner to pick up DS3 from his school. Hear about their day. Half hour drive to drop off colleague and pick up DS2. Spoke to DS2 headteacher, heard about DS2 terrible day. Came home at 5pm, DH had picked up 2 little ones - that's Wednesday's schedule (but I need to remind him of.timing every single week). Crashed on the couch and directed DH how to make supper (lentil soup and roast potatoes) but ended up standing up to do some of it. Grabbed a sandwich cuz I was starving, then left DH to serve supper and do bed for the 2 little ones while I took a nap. Woke up at 7.15pm, did bedtime for 2 middle ones. Private tutoring student forgot and didnt show up, messaged mother to find out, rescheduled. DH went back out for work. Sent DD1 back up to bed 3 times, and DS3 back up 4 times. DS2 still in a bad mood, played a game with him and tried to jolly him along. DS1 sleeps at my parents once a week because he has a longer day and they live closer to school, spoke to him at 8.45pm to convince him to take a shower and go to sleep before 10.30pm.
9.15pm make spaghetti for DH supper and DS2 school lunch.
More work, 11pm get up, make school lunches and snacks for 4 kids, leave dishes piled in the sink. Midnight, upstairs, make uniform piles for 5 kids. 12.45am Whatsapp conversation with overseas mother in law. Last scroll through facebook, 1am sleep, alarm rings at 6.05am.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics