Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
PANERA BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP IN A BREAD BOWL

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 4:22 pm
This was a very delicious soup. Because of the cheese and cream, it's a rich soup so I only needed a nice tossed salad as a side. I did also make one of my favorite Bundt cakes using butter - there is nothing like baked stuff made with real butter Very Happy

If you want to make it a bit less rich, you can substitute evaporated skimmed milk

Obviously this doesn't need to be served in a bread bowl, but it makes a basic soup that much more special and fun - just like a restaurant. I save the bread kishkes in the freezer and then use for a cheese strata which is a great dish if you need something super easy that is made ahead and just popped in the oven the next day.

PANERA BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP IN A BREAD BOWL

Excerpt From: Taste of Home Copycat Restaurant Favorites.

PREP: 15 min. • COOK: 30 min. • MAKES: 6 servings

¼ cup butter, cubed
½ cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 8 oz.)
1 large carrot, finely chopped
3 cups chicken stock (I sub my vegetable stock)
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 bay leaves
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup water or additional chicken stock - (I sub my vegetable stock)
2½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
6 small round bread loaves (about 8 oz. each), optional

1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in broccoli, carrot, stock, cream and seasonings; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes.

2. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Stir in cheese until melted.

3. If using bread bowls, cut a slice off the top of each bread loaf; hollow out bottoms, leaving ¼-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Fill with soup just before serving.

1 CUP: 422 cal., 32g fat (19g sat. fat), 107mg chol., 904mg sod., 15g carb. (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g pro.

HAVE IT YOUR WAY

Avoid a gritty cheese soup by allowing the liquid mixture to cool slightly before adding the shredded cheese. Stir in a little at a time until all the cheese is melted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics