Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Best mixer for making challah?
1  2  Next

muffinsmommy

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 4:50 pm
Would appreciate recommendations for your favorite mixer for challah. I've been making it by hand for years because my kitchen aid is too small.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 5:31 pm
How big are you making?
Yes, my Kitchen Aid's too small so I make it by hand. I personally like it that way ;-D

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 5:32 pm
I have my Bosch running right now. Smile I like using it for a 5 pound flour dough buy my MIL uses 6 pounds and she doesn't mind that the dough comes up so high.

Zeleze

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:14 pm
I Use a Bosch and happy with it

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:17 pm
Used my magic mill last night to bake Challah. Been using it for 22 years B"H.

imanonymous

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:19 pm
Bosch. The motor is very strong.

(Chayalle - old Magic Mills are much better than the newer models.)

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:21 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Used my magic mill last night to bake Challah. Been using it for 22 years B"H.
Same here, do I sound like a copycat if mine is about the same age? lol

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:22 pm
imanonymous wrote:
Bosch. The motor is very strong.

(Chayalle - old Magic Mills are much better than the newer models.)

Thanks for the tip - will keep it in mind......and I hope the new Bosch machines are better than the old models.

When my friend taught me how to bake Challah in her mother's old Bosch, she had to put the dry ingredients in first and then the wet, so they wouldn't leak out of the center of the bowl - which is why I chose the MM over the Bosch Smile.

rivkam

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:22 pm
I have heard Bosch is very good. Personally I have a kenwood which I'm very happy with. My recipe is with 2kg flour and when I put in the ingredients, it fills up until the top of the bowl but once it starts mixing it takes maybe half of bowl. I then let the dough rise in the bowl

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:25 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Same here, do I sound like a copycat if mine is about the same age? lol

Smile

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:32 pm
The honest truth is that the old magic mills, do a great job on kneading the dough but you have to help it. Ever heard of such a crazy thing? It doesn't have a lid and it overflows very often over the rim. You have to help the machine by 'kvetching' the dough back into the metal bowl so it doesn't fly off the handle and all over the kitchen. lol The motor though is super strong and like I said I have mine for 22 years approx., and it's been used and abused.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:50 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Thanks for the tip - will keep it in mind......and I hope the new Bosch machines are better than the old models.

When my friend taught me how to bake Challah in her mother's old Bosch, she had to put the dry ingredients in first and then the wet, so they wouldn't leak out of the center of the bowl - which is why I chose the MM over the Bosch Smile.

The old machines (25 years ago) would bounce off the counter if not held down. New ones (ok 14 years old lol) do not do that. You can let the dough kneed for 15 minutes while you do other things. No leaking BH.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

ddmom

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:52 pm
I have a bosh. Already replaced the motor for $140.
Just bought a new stick for the middle, mone cracked in half.
I have it for a at least 15 years. heavy use!!

123Smile

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:55 pm
Chayalle wrote:

The new Bosch doesn’t leak and doesn’t roll off the counter. Smile

esther36

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:13 pm
Have my Bosch for 17+ years and it's going strong despite being heavily used and abused.... Love it for challah and everything else! And no it doesn't jump on the counter or leak out unless the gasket needs to be replaced every now and then;)

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:15 pm
I have a Bosch for 15 years. I must not have a good model because often I have to hold the cover down so it doesn’t pop off while mixing and yes, it has taken a ride around my counter and I can’t leave it alone to mix. My hand has to hold it in place the whole time. It does a good job on the dough though which is why I use it almost every week. If it’s true that the newer models “behave” better than I think you should go for it!

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:19 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I have a Bosch for 15 years. I must not have a good model because often I have to hold the cover down so it doesn’t pop off while mixing and yes, it has taken a ride around my counter and I can’t leave it alone to mix. My hand has to hold it in place the whole time. It does a good job on the dough though which is why I use it almost every week. If it’s true that the newer models “behave” better than I think you should go for it!
This post really got me shaking with laughter. My mother had one and boy was it a power struggle to get the Bosch to stay in one place on the counter! I think that's why she wanted us to try the Magic Mill.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:28 pm
lkwdlady wrote:

15 years ago they still sold 2 models, one with a lighter base that still danced.

esther36

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:36 pm
I have the stainless steel model. I'm not sure they still make it. Its called Bosch comfort plus.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:40 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
The honest truth is that the old magic mills, do a great job on kneading the dough but you have to help it. Ever heard of such a crazy thing? It doesn't have a lid and it overflows very often over the rim. You have to help the machine by 'kvetching' the dough back into the metal bowl so it doesn't fly off the handle and all over the kitchen. lol The motor though is super strong and like I said I have mine for 22 years approx., and it's been used and abused.

Do you have the funny shaped dough hook? I often use it on a slow speed without connection the arm to the top for a few seconds (with the scraper attached to the side) till the flour is sort of incorporated - and then I attach the arm and turn up the speed a bit. I then let that go for a good couple of minutes...it works.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads