Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How does one go off sugar & white flour?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 9:47 am
I know people do this all the time but I don't understand how. how does one go off sugar? just about everything has sugar in it.
what can I eat if I want to try it?

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:15 am
Get the food list from people on OA or the likes. That'll give you something to work with. People also use date spread or other to sweeten things and so on. There's a ton of info on this out there. Some use honey instead of sugar. The white flour part is easier, just substitute for whole wheat or whole spelt. Visit the healthfood store and you'll never be hungry again! Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:28 am
I want to do this as a diet so idk that eating WW muffins honey muffins will help me reach my goal.
like eating WW bread or matza is that considered being off white flour?

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to do this as a diet so idk that eating WW muffins honey muffins will help me reach my goal.
if it's only whole wheat and doesn't have white flour you're in good shape.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know people do this all the time but I don't understand how. how does one go off sugar? just about everything has sugar in it.
what can I eat if I want to try it?
Ive been doing this for about 6 months. I am not so strict that I dont use condiments or a piece of challah on shabbos, but I have no sweets, meaning no cookies, cakes, breads, things like that and that has actually helped my sugar levels go down and I have lost 10 kilos in that half a year.
How did I do it? I literally told myself that sugar is poison for me. I kept on telling myself that, over and over again. That if I put it in my body it will kill me. And it worked. I tried to do this so often, but it never worked. But this really did work for me.
(I am prediabetic and very overweight and want to be healthy. It is going very slowly, but it is helping a lot. And when I see things that I used to eat all of the time, I inhale and then remind myself that it is literal poison for me. And so far it has worked. I know this will not work for everyone, but it works for me.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Look up the keto diet. It will give you lots of options and ideas. Best part is it kills cravings!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 12:01 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Look up the keto diet. It will give you lots of options and ideas. Best part is it kills cravings!

I've tried keto but it didn't really work. I need my fruits and veggies and keto doesn't allow them.
going off sugar includes fruits or are they okay?

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 12:32 pm
You don’t have to eliminate all sugar. Just go by the obvious: avoid sweets, cookies, cake, muffins, white bread, white pasta, most cold breakfast cereals, flavored hot cereals, commercially prepared kugels and the like. Use sweet potatoes in lieu of white, bake with whole wheat flour, switch to whole-wheat pasta. Avoid or make your own ketchup and salad dressings.

This is fine if your motive is weight loss. If you’re asking for someone who must avoid ALL white sugar and white flour for some other reason like a metabolic disorder, you’ll need to read labels and avoid almost all commercially prepared foods aside from things labeled “no sugar added”. I assume you’re not interested in artificially sweetened foods, which are an option.

Don’t get scared by nitro labels that say “sugars”. All you need to look at is “added sugars”. Naturally-occurring sugars include lactose in milk and fructose in fruits, which are not the white sugar you’re avoiding.

Brown sugar can be a big bluff. It’s often nothing more than white sugar to which molasses is added to reconstitute it to approximate unrefined sugar. A good thing to avoid. Substitute pure molasses if you must sweeten.

agreer

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 1:48 pm
How? You just do it. Stop eating foods with sugar and white flour. Watch for hidden sugars. Don't eat anything honey-roasted, carmelized, etc. Don't eat anything breaded.

You really should avoid all sugar. Maybe not in condiments, pickles, but definitely where sugar is in the first 5 ingredients. But if you know yourself and tend to abuse ketchup, then yeah... limit that or avoid it.

Honey is sugar; don't fool yourself. Molasses too. Don't do it. Learn to consume things sugar-free or don't consume them. Eat fruit, veggies, ww bread, meat/poultry, cheese/milk, nuts and seeds etc.

Don't eat sugar-free cakes, cookies, muffins, etc. Don't eat sugar-free ice cream.

Diet soda is fine.

pg

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 4:49 pm
I'm off white flour and sugar plus another million things cuz of my baby's eczema. It's totally doable you just need to plan your meals in advance. I stock up on healthy snacks like finger veg which I just grab when I need a filler. Good luck!

SingALong

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 5:05 pm
I did paleo diet for a year, lost 30 lb and the cravings for sugar and sweet things! I found it easier than keto. Plus unlimited vegetables and proteins, moderate amount of fruit (natural sugar is ok, just 2-3 per day at most). Google it see if that’s something you can do.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 5:06 pm
agreer wrote:

Diet soda is fine.

I would avoid it in the beginning...its helpful to stop reminding the brain about what super sweet stuff tastes like - makes it easier to pass on candies.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 6:59 pm
I can't say I never let a molecule pass through my lips. Definitely sugar, I have a small amount of chocolate daily. But I'm doing so much better, in so many ways, by radically cutting it out.
I like ww, noodles, homemade muffins. I use honey. Applesauce. Bananas. It is doable.

Refine

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 8:12 pm
I did it. I barely make the Brocha Mezonos.
The first two weeks were the hardest, I had the worst cravings! It got WAY easier after that.
Once you "detox" you start appreciating other flavors (such as the tang in unflavored greek yogurt, coffee etc.)
Snack on vegetables and nuts. Try to minimize fruits as they can also cause cravings if you eat too much of them.
I started washing for breakfast (whole wheat pita with cheese, ww bagel and cottage cheese with a veggie. Would love eggs, but no time to prepare that.).
I feel like I gain back the time that I lost when eating breakfast by being soo much more productive due to having had a good meal.
I have so much more energy now.
BTW if you can, a nutritionist is a great help. Sometimes insurance will cover it if you can get the doctor to show that it's medically beneficial.
There's ww pita, bagels, bread.
Tuna, greek yogurt, cheeses, eggs- fried and boiled.
Rice, sweet potato, quinoa, butternut squash
Fresh veggies, broiled zuchinni, salads galore, steamed green beans.
Pea soup, zuchinni leek soup, onion soup.

dankbar

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 8:55 pm
Aim for protein & veggies mainly to fill you up

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 9:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've tried keto but it didn't really work. I need my fruits and veggies and keto doesn't allow them.

Yes. And you’ll feel much better for It

https://I.imgur.com/MD6EKaO.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/Wbc9jxt.jpg

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 12:42 pm
If you need to sweeten something go for stevia. A little bit goes a long way, and you can feel really satisfied.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 12:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes it does if you only count net carbs.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:18 am
Very Happy

Last edited by amother on Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:21 am
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes are about equally healthy. Also, while added sugars are something you want to avoid, natural sugars are also not great. Dehydrated fruit juice technically has no added sugar, but it's still basically just sugar.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise