Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Up to what age would you check your child for pinworms?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:22 am
My DD gets them often and sometimes they get to the front.

gingertop

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:17 am
Any age child who puts fingers in the mouth (thumb sucking, nail biting) will get worms frequently. Finger in mouth kids need to be monitored because if worms go the front, they can cause infections (UTI, vaginal infections) which is an additional aggravation.

prophylactically, make sure nails are short, soap with warm water after the bathroom, try to break any finger in mouth habit including eating with hands, use garlic or Kyolic to prevent outbreak.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:36 am
That wasn't my question.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That wasn't my question.
Because of tznius issues?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:40 am
Not sure but dd is 7 and I would not have a problem checking.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:01 am
We dealt with pinworm for a long time, and I can only remember seeing them once (perhaps the ones we have are particularly elusive?), and not for lack of checking.
I'm saying this because if it starts to get uncomfortable, I'm not sure how nessecary it is to check. Your daughter must know the sensation by now (assuming you have also been dealing with it for a while).
The first time my son had it he was two and I thought there was something terribly wrong with him by the way he was crying. I called the doctor in the middle of the night and he diagnosed it without seeing him, and never even told me to look for them.

There is also a tape test you can do (remember I could never seem to find the pesky things). I'd recommend doing it 3 days in a row, and then sending them in (though it will take a few days to hear back from the lab).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:32 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Because of tznius issues?

Because with today's awareness of body safety, is there any school of thought that would consider it inappropriate?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:37 am
On your own kid? No, I don’t believe there would be an issue. You could say to your child and ask permission if you felt necessary why you are doing it. Once they get close to puberty they would possibly feel uncomfortable but at that age you could rely on what they tell you to know if they had pinworms.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:40 am
Never, ew!! I treat if there are symptoms

gingertop

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because with today's awareness of body safety, is there any school of thought that would consider it inappropriate?

Sorry. I thought you were asking up to what age it would show up and I know that finger to mouth kids get it even when older.

At 3 or 4, a kid can check themselves by taking a wipe that is coated with vaseline or desitin and wiping front to back when they are complaining of itching. Or this can be done by you but without looking if the kid can't mange it. If there is active itching, the vaseline or desitin will probably pick up the worm.
I think under age 3 it's ok to check the surface. Easiest way to spot and remove.

gingertop

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:01 am
In any case, extreme itchiness in the area is most likely pinworms. I've never checked a kid who is verbal enough to explain what they're feeling.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:02 am
At a certain age I would just stop checking and treat if the kid is complaining. Or just deworm regularly every 6 months. If you know the kid is prone and this is a chronic recurring issue, checking doesn't even help much because they're mostly on the inside.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:09 am
I would check my 5 year old but not my 8 year old. So somewhere in between.

Chances are, if the 8 year old has, so does the 5 year old.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:13 am
I don't check. If they have symptoms they get treated regardless of what is visible from the outside. The first time it happened the pediatrician had us to a tape test just to make sure, and it was positive for eggs. So now we know and we treat immediately.

However, it can be very very painful if the worms go to the front for a girl. So I would encourage the child to allow me to check there are remove whatever I see. Or at least let me wipe thoroughly to try and get it out of the vaginal area. Unless the child is old enough to do that well independently.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:26 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

However, it can be very very painful if the worms go to the front for a girl. So I would encourage the child to allow me to check there are remove whatever I see. Or at least let me wipe thoroughly to try and get it out of the vaginal area. Unless the child is old enough to do that well independently.

This is what we are dealing with.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:51 am
My 12 year old asked me to check him so I did, but I wouldn't check an older child unless they specifically ask me to.

For those saying they would treat if there are symptoms, this particular child has had terrible rashes in the past so no, the typical symptoms weren't always pinworms.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:05 pm
There's no way I'm removing by hand. You need to treat hopefully before it gets that bad.

baked ziti

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:00 pm
Pinworms are generally active from late afternoon. If my child was perfectly happy until those hours, I usually suspect its worms. I have them double check with a wipe just to be sure the discomfort isn't coming from uncleanliness, but sudden onset around that time of day is very telling. My older kids who have had it in the past can usually describe what theyre feeling, so I don't bother checking them.
Important tip: Have your child bathe the morning after treatment to get rid of the eggs that are around the area. Those can still be spread around.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:03 pm
I would check until my kid is uncomfortable being checked. My almost 9 year old is still comfortable with it. A parent can always help their child with medical issues, don't let today's nonsense convince you otherwise.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:40 pm
I guess it depends on your child.

I still remember my mom checking me for pinworms when I was four years old and the embarrassed feeling that I had. (I'm a pretty private person)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics