Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary questions
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:09 pm
My dd is currently in Seminar and I must correct what people are saying about it being chilled and less academic. (They revamped things a couple of years ago.) My dd, who is a strong student, says the work is VERY intense, very difficult tests, long and detailed reports to write. That being said, the environment is very warm, teachers/administrators/everyone else who works there are really nice. Mix of in-town and OOT girls, relatively little social/material pressure. She is very happy.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:45 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
My dd is currently in Seminar and I must correct what people are saying about it being chilled and less academic. (They revamped things a couple of years ago.) My dd, who is a strong student, says the work is VERY intense, very difficult tests, long and detailed reports to write. That being said, the environment is very warm, teachers/administrators/everyone else who works there are really nice. Mix of in-town and OOT girls, relatively little social/material pressure. She is very happy.

My dd was told that Seminar has a more yeshivish crowd. Do you know if that's true?

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:49 pm
From what I'm reading here it sounds like academically Machon Raaya would be the best first for my dd. But I don't think she would fit in in on the gashmius side. I'd there a seminary that's similar to Machon Raaya academically but the girls are simpler in terms of clothing and "stuff"?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:00 am
My daughter is in Darchei Binah this year. Were were considering Machon Raya for while. DB might not be considered a BY seminary by everyone, they are allowed smart phones and dont have a uniform.

The class load can be as much as you want
There is a minimum of classes you must go to, you have to sign in and out. My daughter signed up to the max classes (she took every extra class in high school)

There are many girls from the tristate area this year. I went to visit and all the girls I met were really nice. My daughter loves school.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:20 am
Quote:
My dd was told that Seminar has a more yeshivish crowd. Do you know if that's true?

More yeshivish than what? It's pretty subjective.... (but if you mean more yeshivish than it used to be, I think yes)

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:37 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
From what I'm reading here it sounds like academically Machon Raaya would be the best first for my dd. But I don't think she would fit in in on the gashmius side. I'd there a seminary that's similar to Machon Raaya academically but the girls are simpler in terms of clothing and "stuff"?

Just want to point out here that even if some ppl are “into gashmiyus” in a seminary doesn’t mean everyone is... I went to machon raaya. Yes, there were some girls who were more materialistic, but there were also many really normal, really nice girls I became friends with. I loved seminary even though there were many in town girls or whatever... I felt the teachers and friends I made were important, and there were so many girls that I got to choose who I was friends with.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:20 am
Does anyone know anything about Bnos Chava and Meohr?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:44 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

Look into Bnos Sara

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 8:29 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Quote:

More yeshivish than what? It's pretty subjective.... (but if you mean more yeshivish than it used to be, I think yes)

You're right, I should have been more clear 😀

More yeshivish than it used to be works......so I'm afraid it will be too yeshivish for her.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 8:33 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Just want to point out here that even if some ppl are “into gashmiyus” in a seminary doesn’t mean everyone is... I went to machon raaya. Yes, there were some girls who were more materialistic, but there were also many really normal, really nice girls I became friends with. I loved seminary even though there were many in town girls or whatever... I felt the teachers and friends I made were important, and there were so many girls that I got to choose who I was friends with.

This makes a lot of sense, im going to check into it more. Thanks

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 8:34 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Look into Bnos Sara

Thanks for the suggestion, I dont know anything it. I'm going to find out.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 9:16 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

And it is possible for girls to like their gashmiyus yet not create an environment of competition, and be really good friends with girls who aren't so much into gashmiyus.
Also, when people talk about seminaries being in towny and OOTy, the reality is, the NY/Lakewood girls are going to be a high proportion of any seminary due to the sheer numbers.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:54 pm
Still trying to differentiate between Machon Raaya and Bnos Avigayil. is Bnos Avigayil for an academic type of girl? And when people say it’s for OOT girls are there no New York girls there, I’m confused? And is it true that Machon Raaya the work is overrated and not too much? Are the girls (for the most part) nice, friendly girls or jappy and snobby?
In general, is a more with it, put together girl going to Bnos Avigayil or Machon Raaya? Really appreciate any helpful responses

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:00 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Look into Bnos Sara

If Seminar is too Yeshivish, then Bnos Sara is definitely out.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 10:50 pm
Tehillas is more of a heimish crowd like Hadar

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 10:54 pm
I would consider Machon Raaya more the type that the girls are from Flatbush, cedarhurst, Manhattan.... Might not be actually from there its just that type

About 10 years ago girls in camp who went to machon raaya that previous year made fun of me that I (somewhat chassidish) should look away because they were getting dressed and how ch"vsh I cant look at them while theyre changing in the bunkhouse (not in a bathroom).
Not putting down machon raaya but when I think of machon raaya I think of that story and how belittled I felt

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:05 pm
I’m really sorry to hear that, so painful.
Thank you for explaining what in town means. I really didn’t understand! So if those are in town places, is monsey, Passaic etc not? Is that where NY Bnos Avigayil girls are from?

Buzby

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 9:04 am
I just went to see Bnos Avigail and spoke to the girls, reb Heller and Rabbi Kass. It's an out the box BY girl that goes. A nice mix of different types, coming from very different types of homes (all nice frum BY homes) OOT, not so into clothes, motivated to grow and learn. Learning is rigorous and girls seemed pretty intelligent (I sat in on a class). On the website the program is described, I think it's an excellent learning program. I did speak to an in town girl who specifically said she was looking for an OOT place where girls would be friendly and indeed that's what they appeared to be to me. Hope that's helpful. If you want to know anything specific you can pm

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 8:18 pm
DD1 was in Machon Raaya 2 yrs ago. Loved it. She was never taught that elbows do not have to be covered as was written above. It is very much a BY school, but yes, less “yeshivish.” I visited the school while DD was there. There are many, many types of girls there. It does attract wealthier girls but not exclusively. As was said above, some of the wealthy girls are the absolute nicest girls and DD did not even know some were wealthy until she visited their homes back in America. Some are more obvious about their wealth, family came to Israel for Sukkos and Pesach, or Sukkos and winter vacation....they wear brand names and have lots of spending money... But there are many girls there from families that are not wealthy they at all, and it is not known to be a “snobby” school. DD1 found many like minded friends there. DD1 was a top student in high school and felt challenged/appropriately stimulated at Machon Raaya. My understanding is that fewer girls from Manhattan High School are there than in the past.
DD2 went to Bnos Sarah. It is more yeshivish, more OOT than Machon Raaya. Most of the girls are from chinuch homes with many children. DD2 loves Bnos Sarah. It is for the very top academically, very strong textual skills are needed. Many of the girls there applied to BJJ as well. Lots and lots of work, but very enjoyable.
My sense of Bnos Avigayil is that it is also for very good, bright girls, OOT, girls who are a little out of the box, they may have interests/talents that typical yeshivish girls may not have, things like history, politics, literature, arts, etc. It is in the newer side and still forming its identity.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 8:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Still trying to differentiate between Machon Raaya and Bnos Avigayil. is Bnos Avigayil for an academic type of girl? And when people say it’s for OOT girls are there no New York girls there, I’m confused? And is it true that Machon Raaya the work is overrated and not too much? Are the girls (for the most part) nice, friendly girls or jappy and snobby?
In general, is a more with it, put together girl going to Bnos Avigayil or Machon Raaya? Really appreciate any helpful responses

Bnos a Avigayil is for an academic girl. There are girls from NY there. There are girls from NY in every school, it’s just the girls that go there are more OOT type.
My sense from DD is that the work in Machon Raaya is not overrated. There is plenty of work. Just like anything else, a girl can put her all into it or not. Also, the girls can choose some of their classes, and many choose to take more than the minimum. It’s not as much work as Bnos Sarah, but many people think that Bnos Sarah has an unreasonable amount of work. My sense from DDs experience and the girls I met in Machon Raaya is that most are not snobby or jappy.
I would say a more with it, put together girl would go to Machon Raaya over Bnos Avigayil.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics