Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
SWEET POTATO–MANGO CAKE (Pareve)

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:35 am
This is a nice type of spice cake - similar to the dense pumpkin bread if you've had that. I used to make a mango quick bread but I lost the recipe and this is similar to that.

It's a simple one bowl - one pan cake. It freezes well.

I used frozen mango which I drained carefully after defrosting.

SWEET POTATO–MANGO CAKE (Pareve)

Excerpt From: Toni Tipton-Martin. “Jubilee.”

This sweet potato cake, also known as yam cake, will remind you of the iced pumpkin bread that is so popular in coffee shops, served with the afternoon brew. The crumb is more airy than the pumpkin loaf, but it tastes just as sweet, thanks to studs of mango and the light orange-bourbon glaze that sinks into the cake’s crust. The idea for including diced mango comes from chef Pierre Thiam’s yam cake in Senegal: Modern Senegalese Recipes from the Source to the Bowl. The addition of orange flavor salutes Aunt Jessie.

Butter or shortening, for the pan
2¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the pan
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes, at room temperature
1 cup finely diced mango
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice or whiskey, or half of each

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Generously coat a 10-inch tube pan with butter or shortening. Dust with flour, tapping out the excess.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt.

In a separate large bowl, use a wooden spoon to beat together the oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until well mixed. Stir in the sweet potatoes, mango, and orange zest, stirring for 1 minute, until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour-spice mixture and the vanilla, mixing just until blended.

Pour the batter into the tube pan. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn the cake out on the rack to cool completely.
In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice (or whiskey). Drizzle over the cooled cake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins