Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Caponata: Eggplant, Tomato, and Raisin Relish

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:01 am
Caponata: Eggplant, Tomato, and Raisin Relish

This was a very good version of a classic dish. I served cold along with some other interesting salads.

Excerpt From: Carla Hall - Carla's Comfort Foods

Serves 4

Caponata is basically an eggplant dish where the sweetness of tomatoes and raisins is balanced by the saltiness of capers and olives. It all comes together with a tart dose of vinegar. There are countless variations, but I make mine with texture, keeping the celery crisp, the raisins chewy, and the nuts crunchy. I once had an absolutely delicious mushy version, but it wasn’t good enough to make me want to change mine.

1 large globe eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks - don't forget to rinse after finishing the salting process. The salting process removes the bitter taste and excess liquid. If you use Japanese eggplants, they are not bitter and don't need to be salted
Kosher salt
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 plum tomatoes, diced
1 sprig fresh oregano
3 large celery ribs, diced
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
2 tablespoons golden raisins
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
5 green olives, pitted and cut into thin slivers
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Toss the eggplant with 1 teaspoon salt and let it sit in a colander to drain while the other vegetables cook, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the onion is a little tender and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and oregano and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until thick and pasty, about 30 minutes.

While the tomatoes simmer, toss the celery with the 1 teaspoon oil. Heat another skillet over high heat. Add the celery and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and spread out in a single layer. Cook, tossing, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and spread out to stop the cooking.

Squeeze the eggplant dry between paper towels, and then toss it with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add some of the eggplant to the same hot skillet in a single layer. Cook, tossing occasionally, until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer it to a plate and repeat with the remaining eggplant, working in batches.

Stir the celery, eggplant, pine nuts, raisins, capers, olives, vinegar, sugar, and parsley into the tomatoes. Discard the oregano sprig. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Serve cold or warm, with fish or crusty Italian bread.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

chefmama

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:04 am
Ooh this sounds yum! I’ll have to try this soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics