Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Cafes and Restaurants in E"Y

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:10 am
I will be coming to E"Y with DD for a family Simcha next month. I'm staying with family but I don't want to burden them with our meals, hence my questions.

I haven't been to E"Y for close to 10 years, and everything has changed, plus my memories are over 20 years old.....

What are some good eateries for breakfasts, lunch, supper that are Yerushalayim, area near Belz, Geulah, and the old city? (so we can go on our way back from the Kotel, or when we are out, or near where we are staying.)

Is it realistic to try to go to Kever Rachel, Har Hamenuchos (my MIL A"H), and maybe even something more in one day? I'm trying to decide if I should go to Mearas Hamachpeilah - I have never been there.

I will be in Bnai Brak one day, what else can I do there? Where are some good places for brunch or lunch, near Visnitz?

Anything I can do on Friday if I will be in Beitar for Shabbos?

(It dawned on me that I should plan an itinerary, but really I just want to chill and walk around and enjoy being there. DD might want a bit more though...)

TIA!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:17 am
Plan an itinerary including time to chill.

Kever rochel and har hamenuchos is and more doable in one day if you hire a driver for sure.

Meoras hamachpeilah is beautiful ❤️, it feels very special. You can get there by armored bus.

Eateries in the geulah area:
Sam's bagels
Cofix
Ketzefet
A delicious bakery in the old city, I don't remember the name

If you will be there over Rosh Chodesh I highly recommend going to the Neitz minyan at the Churvah shul.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:20 am
http://www.israelkosherdining......alem/

gingertop

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:23 am
What hechsherim?
Near the Old City, Green's in Rechavia is great for breakfast or lunch but the seating area is very minimal. They're on Keren Kayemet.

In Geulah, I like Holy Bagel but has similarly limited seating. Sam's has better seating.

In the Belz area there are a few places in Romema for breakfast such as Waffle Bar, Uri's Pizza cafe. For supper, Entrecote in Har Chotzvim is nice for steak lovers. Also in Har Chotzvim is Rodriguez which has a great menu.

About Kever Rochel and Me'aras Hamachpeila- are you renting a car? I would drive to Kever Rochel but not Me'aras Hamachpeila but that's just me. If you can plan a trip with a secure group, I would say go for it. Har Menuchos is not far from Belz. You can probably do all three but it would be an emotionally draining day, IMO.

I don't know BB well. There are some things in nearby Tel Aviv and Ramat Gan.

Fridays are short now so Machane Yehuda or Har Hazeisim and Kosel are probably the limit of what you can do.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:23 am
Was there last winter after 14 years! Yes, things changed. A lot.
There are eateries all over but not Lakewood style. You have to squeeze into a tiny section with people walking past you the whole time.
We went to Kever rochel on erev shabbos with our rented car which had Waze.
Har Hamenuchos is right by har nof and easy to get to.
The only thing I really came here to tell you is that there are hardly any public bathrooms! By the kosel yes, but if you are grabbing a bite there might not be a working bathroom nearby for a mile. Not like here...
one morning I left early to go to dangerous har hazeisim with a group of people. By 2-3pm we were In Geulah starving. Found a place to eat but I needed the bathroom and was going crazy! There were none! I have no idea what the workers in stores do all day... I couldn’t order food because I just needed a bathroom... walked up and down the block.., checked in all the stores- nothing!!!!
Just warning you..,
Enjoy your trip!
Hopefully you’ll get a good list of eateries and bathrooms!

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:24 am
If you want to enjoy strolling, go to the Old City early in the morning (it's beautiful then!) and walk back to Geula through Mamilla. Lots of places to eat, and it kind of cuts the walk in half.

If you have a car, you can do touristy stuff in Gush Etzion on Friday morning and then loop back to Beitar for shabbos. (It can be done with public transportation but if you aren't familiar with the area it might be difficult. )

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:33 am
Wow thanks all! I have to digest all of this.

Not sure yet about car. I'm a little scared (don't make fun of me now) to drive there. But might be easier than buses and taxis....

thanks for the bathroom tip...good point.

gingertop

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:34 am
Your daughter might enjoy Caliber 3- all the teenagers I've sent there were crazy about it. It's a real crazy, Only In Israel kind of place.
http://www.caliber3range.com/
It's in Gush Etzion (a few minutes from Beitar). If you have a car, it might be the perfect thing for Friday.

gingertop

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:36 am
Chayalle wrote:
Wow thanks all! I have to digest all of this.

Not sure yet about car. I'm a little scared (don't make fun of me now) to drive there. But might be easier than buses and taxis....

thanks for the bathroom tip...good point.

Oops. cross posted about the car. Geula doesn't have bathrooms. mamilla, Old City and the shopping centers and eateries in Belz and Romema do.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:40 am
There are bathrooms in geula. I’ve used banks and meuhedet clinics. The storekeepers have sent me across the street... food establishments have, but I like to buy something small.

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:05 pm
I don't know if this is the type of trip you want to have, but if you want to get to Chevron (I'd say it's a must for someone who's never been there) and Kever Rochel and still have time for your other activities, there's a mini-bus that goes early Friday morning, spending about 30 minutes at KR and then 60-90 minutes at MH, and then brings you back to Yerushalayim just as the day is starting.

When we were there earlier this year, we got picked up at 5 am in Har Nof and dropped off there at 9 am. It will cost you a few hours of sleep, but that's what long Friday nights are for. I think you have to make reservations in advance; my Israeli cousins did it for me. If you're interested in the contact info, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to get it for you. Have a wonderful trip - I'm so happy for you and DD!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:09 pm
doctorima wrote:
I don't know if this is the type of trip you want to have, but if you want to get to Chevron (I'd say it's a must for someone who's never been there) and Kever Rochel and still have time for your other activities, there's a mini-bus that goes early Friday morning, spending about 30 minutes at KR and then 60-90 minutes at MH, and then brings you back to Yerushalayim just as the day is starting.

When we were there earlier this year, we got picked up at 5 am in Har Nof and dropped off there at 9 am. It will cost you a few hours of sleep, but that's what long Friday nights are for. I think you have to make reservations in advance; my Israeli cousins did it for me. If you're interested in the contact info, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to get it for you. Have a wonderful trip - I'm so happy for you and DD!

This actually sounds perfect....I doubt I'm going to be on any real schedule anyway, and will probably sleep here and there.....gonna run it by DD, but I think this could really work for us.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:13 pm
Mazal tov. Seems like everyone covered the info you need.
Just wanted to give a shout out to beitar - there are plenty of eateries in beitar for Friday morning or motzai shabbos. Cafes, a bagel place, bakeries and pizza shops galore. If you're there any other time there's fleishig places too with great food.
I wonder if I know whoever's simcha you're going to....

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:14 pm
gingertop wrote:
Your daughter might enjoy Caliber 3- all the teenagers I've sent there were crazy about it. It's a real crazy, Only In Israel kind of place.
http://www.caliber3range.com/
It's in Gush Etzion (a few minutes from Beitar). If you have a car, it might be the perfect thing for Friday.

I was thinking of doing this with my husband for his birthday, which thing do you recommend and what are the prices?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:28 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Mazal tov. Seems like everyone covered the info you need.
Just wanted to give a shout out to beitar - there are plenty of eateries in beitar for Friday morning or motzai shabbos. Cafes, a bagel place, bakeries and pizza shops galore. If you're there any other time there's fleishig places too with great food.
I wonder if I know whoever's simcha you're going to....

Good to know....I will be leaving M"SH, but might be good to pick up some tzeida l'derech on our way out...

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:31 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

one morning I left early to go to dangerous har hazeisim with a group of people. By 2-3pm we were In Geulah starving. Found a place to eat but I needed the bathroom and was going crazy! There were none! I have no idea what the workers in stores do all day... I couldn’t order food because I just needed a bathroom... walked up and down the block.., checked in all the stores- nothing!!!!
Just warning you..,
Enjoy your trip!
Hopefully you’ll get a good list of eateries and bathrooms!

How did you go to Har Hazeisim? Did you hire someone private?

My grandparents are there, and I remember going with my mother, she hired someone to take us.

Now I'm the mother and have to figure everything out myself.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:32 pm
Chayalle wrote:
How did you go to Har Hazeisim? Did you hire someone private?

My grandparents are there, and I remember going with my mother, she hired someone to take us.

Now I'm the mother and have to figure everything out myself.

When my family from America goes, they hire a driver with a gun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions