Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
If you buy takeout for supper (sometimes)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:57 pm
A few people on the anonymous supper thread said takeout. If you get takeout, what do you get? Is it always pizza or do you have more creative takeout ideas?

Asking out of curiosity. Smile

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:59 pm
We don't like takeout but do use convenience foods from the supermarket when needed.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:09 pm
My kids would rather eat a peanut butter sandwich or cereal and milk than fleushig takeout.
And for them frozen pizza is same as fresh....

For adults, it depends. Sometimes a chicken sandwich. Sometimes a chicken salad. Beans n liver (not sure how it's called. Lol). Chinese. Shnitzel, all different kids of sides. Usually a veggy soup. Different kinds of cutlets (we don't really like chicken leg.)
Sometimes dairy or Falafel.
I go with the kids to the pizza shop once in 2 months maybe. If I need to be out that time and they will get hungry....
Although sometimes I'll pack a sandwich with some cut up veggies in a baggy for each kid.

We dont do takeout often at all.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:11 pm
why pizza

banana123

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:11 pm
We only do pizza because that's the only takeout here that's our kashrut and not horrendously expensive....
But the pizza places have salads and pastas so sometimes we get those too...

Last edited by banana123 on Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:12 pm
I live OOT, so my options are limited. We get takeout every Thursday, either from the meat restaurant or the dairy restaurant. The meat place has American/Medditeranean food: burgers, shwarma, schnitzel, fries, kebabs. The dairy place is South Indian.

The kids eat chicken fingers and french fries on meat takeout days. The baby gets shwarma. On dairy takeout days, they eat some combination of chana masala (chickpeas), white rice, deep fried cauliflower, paneer dosas (rice pancake filled with potato and cheese filling), and vegetable noodles.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:15 pm
Sometimes Chinese, sometimes Middle Eastern, sometimes things from the deli counter of a kosher supermarket. Sometimes the takeout isn't the full meal--like getting a rotisserie chicken and serving homemade rice and roasted veg, or sometimes we order and have leftovers the next day with some supplements.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:19 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I live OOT, so my options are limited. We get takeout every Thursday, either from the meat restaurant or the dairy restaurant. The meat place has American/Medditeranean food: burgers, shwarma, schnitzel, fries, kebabs. The dairy place is South Indian.

hi neighbor Smile

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:20 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
hi neighbor Smile

LOL, hello! Hi

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:32 pm
We rarely get takeout, but sometimes my parents will come over on Sunday for lunch or dinner, to spend time with us and the kids, and will pay for it (they can afford it - we can't!). They pick a restaurant and everyone figures out what they want and we place an order for pick-up, charged to their credit card. Can be milchig sandwiches from the bagel place, burgers/deli subs/wraps from a fleishig restaurant, chinese if they are being extra generous...

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:39 pm
I live in a large OOT community we have a fair amount of restaurants and grocery stores with take out counters. The take out counters are very $$$ so I try to avoid them at all costs.

If I dont want to make dinner I either 1) order a pizza and fries or we go to the local grocery store that grills meat and fish to order and I make a bag of tater tots or frozen fries or 2) Raid the freezer aisle for fish sticks, frozen pizza, franks in blanks. Whatever looks appealing.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:40 pm
We get takeout basically every Sunday, almost never pizza. We get fleishigs. Sandwich, schnitzel, hot dogs, burgurs, nuggets n fries & all types of sides.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A few people on the anonymous supper thread said takeout. If you get takeout, what do you get? Is it always pizza or do you have more creative takeout ideas?

Asking out of curiosity. Smile

We do takeout once every week or two, and almost never do pizza.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:49 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
hi neighbor Smile

I'm also your neighbor!👋

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:36 pm
Pizza
Falafel
Schnitzel
Schwarma

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:49 pm
We go out for:

1. Pizza and sushi (dh doesn't eat the sushi)
2. Better quality pizza with no sushi option
3. Chinese
4. Vegan Asian fusion type food
5. (rarely) fancy dairy dinner
6. (rarely) burgers

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 8:10 pm
We almost never get pizza because if we're in the mood for that then DH makes delicious homemade pizza for a fraction of the cost.

We occasionally get takeout on Sunday nights when neither of us can be bothered to cook. Usually we get fleishigs from a fast food type place so the little kids can get chicken fingers and fries and the rest of us can get burgers or burritos or interesting sandwiches or salads. Sometimes we'll get falafel instead.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 9:13 pm
Very rarely. Kids don't like things from fleishig place and I don't eat milchigs. Dh gets much more often like tonight,- I didn't feel.sonwell.do make kids hash browns, eggs, pita, and tofu store fry....and each kid ate either a fresh fruit or veggy that's what they asked for but she wasn't home and wasn't gonna eat it so he bought something.
Once in a while I go to the pizza ship with the kids.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 7:56 am
We don’t buy takeout for supper often, but maybe more for lunch, but still not often. We’ve bought, pizza, pasta, sushi, baguettes, lachmagine, kibbe, shwarma.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:13 am
We have pizza once a week on the sale day in my local pizza store, just so I have a little break from the endless cooking and food prep. I usually make a salad or vegetable side dish to go with it. Besides that, the other takeout options in my city are pricey. So we order out only for special occasions like a birthday or a siyum.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics