Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Quick ways to get a B.A.?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:17 pm
I have a daughter in 11th grade who wants to get a B.A. and then go on to grad school. I myself went to a regular 4-year college and regular grad school, but I'm interested in learning more about the Jewish options for getting a B.A. quickly, which I know nothing about. How do you use seminary credits? What are the different options for getting a quick degree? If she takes community college credits during 12th grade (offered for free in our state to high schoolers), will most of the Jewish programs accept those credits?

Really appreciate any help you can give me! Thanks.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:02 pm
Maalot in baltimore!!! They recently changed their name, though I don't remember the new name.
They have many degree options. And the degree can be earned in a short time.

tilot37354

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:08 pm
Max out AP in high school, seminary credits, CLEP or the equivalent offered, and intensive maxed out schedule should take 6-8 months to get a BA post seminary. Depending on what she wants to specialize in/what grad school she wants to do, it may take longer due to prerequisite requirements.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a daughter in 11th grade who wants to get a B.A. and then go on to grad school. I myself went to a regular 4-year college and regular grad school, but I'm interested in learning more about the Jewish options for getting a B.A. quickly, which I know nothing about. How do you use seminary credits? What are the different options for getting a quick degree? If she takes community college credits during 12th grade (offered for free in our state to high schoolers), will most of the Jewish programs accept those credits?

Really appreciate any help you can give me! Thanks.

Tti

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:13 pm
WGU online

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:06 pm
I did a combo of CLEP and AP in high school (about 30 credits altogether; CLEPs are pretty easy and not a big investment so just do as many as you can as early as you can; you choose which institutions you want to send your grades to, so I chose Excelsior) and got credits from my year in seminary (another 30ish) and then took a year to finish the remaining 60 off through TTI/Excelsior, taking more tests, mostly Judaic subjects, and a couple online courses. I finished my bachelors in liberal arts and began my master's program (40 credits, in-state but online, very reputable institution) which I finished in five semesters, and I was working the whole time. I don't think the bachelors means as much these days, so it doesn't matter if it's from a non-chashuv place. For me at least it was just a stepping stone to get my master's which I took much more seriously.
I'd recommend calling up an advisor at TTI and seeing what your options are. Excelsior takes just about anything so probably the community college would be fine.
Hatzlacha to your daughter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics