Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bathroom on a budget

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 4:05 pm
In the process of doing some construction and attempting to stick to budget somewhat.

What plumbing fixtures are worth investing in an upgrade vs using the very standard options and why?

What I have on my list:
standard tub has big slope and does not provide much space
Trip drains are less likely to clog

What else is not a huge upgrade that's worthwhile?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:12 pm
Spend on Handshower with thermostatic valve. Radiant heat in the floor.

Where to save money- tiles, brand of sink, toilet etc. American standard is just fine. Vanity.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:59 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Spend on Handshower with thermostatic valve. Radiant heat in the floor.

Where to save money- tiles, brand of sink, toilet etc. American standard is just fine. Vanity.

Wow, totally not what I would do, so interesting to see your opinion. Appreciate the response though.

Heat in the floor...I would think is a luxury and a significant upgrade. How much extra did it cost?

Can you explain what a thermostatic valve is?

Vanity: I've seen real cheap looking vanities that crumbled from water. Also I would think spending a little bit more on vanity style makes a difference.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:44 am
I work for a contractor and do a lot of the sourcing & purchasing and when needed will help client with the design process.
I would definitely not skimp on the vanity. It shouldn’t be that cheaply particle board because eventually over time it will look awful.
Invest in good quality plumbing fixtures. I like to think of the fixtures as the shoes to the dress. Visit a store like Ferguson Or Atlantic Plumbing Supply. They have beautiful fixtures for every style and range of prices
Tiles- I’ve seen many designers choose high end tiles from places like Porcelanosa but if the client is already over budget and needs to save somewhere this is where we source it out. You can get something just as gorgeous from a different store.
Lighting- look online. Visit a showroom to see IRL but then purchase online if you can find it.

Good luck

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 10:46 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I work for a contractor and do a lot of the sourcing & purchasing and when needed will help client with the design process.
I would definitely not skimp on the vanity. It shouldn’t be that cheaply particle board because eventually over time it will look awful.
Invest in good quality plumbing fixtures. I like to think of the fixtures as the shoes to the dress. Visit a store like Ferguson Or Atlantic Plumbing Supply. They have beautiful fixtures for every style and range of prices
Tiles- I’ve seen many designers choose high end tiles from places like Porcelanosa but if the client is already over budget and needs to save somewhere this is where we source it out. You can get something just as gorgeous from a different store.
Lighting- look online. Visit a showroom to see IRL but then purchase online if you can find it.

Good luck

Wow thanks for the info

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 9:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow thanks for the info

My pleasure!
If you’re in the NY/NJ area, I’ll post some place to go for tiles and lighting fixtures. Ive worked with designers who will choose a particular tile or light fixture but they cost a fortune and the client really likes it. One example was the time she chose a light fixture made of Swarovski crystals for a bathroom. We got something similar and you can’t tell the difference all for a great price! Somethings we saw in person and found online. There’s a place in the bowery that will make custom light fixtures for a fraction of the price. Lots of options designers won’t tell you because some will choose from stores that will give them a commission. I’ve seen plenty of invoices that have the real price and then the one the client sees. If you’re on a budget and up for choosing the finishes then these suggestions should be helpful. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics