Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Up to what age would you check your child for pinworms?
Previous  1  2

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 9:27 pm
baked ziti wrote:
Pinworms are generally active from late afternoon. If my child was perfectly happy until those hours, I usually suspect its worms. I have them double check with a wipe just to be sure the discomfort isn't coming from uncleanliness, but sudden onset around that time of day is very telling. My older kids who have had it in the past can usually describe what theyre feeling, so I don't bother checking them.
Important tip: Have your child bathe the morning after treatment to get rid of the eggs that are around the area. Those can still be spread around.

Definately they should clean the next morning and preferable continue like that for a few weeks. But Doc pointed out a shower not a bath, so they don't end up with worm eggs on other parts of their body, or in hair/ mouth.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 9:32 pm
gingertop wrote:
Sorry. I thought you were asking up to what age it would show up and I know that finger to mouth kids get it even when older.

At 3 or 4, a kid can check themselves by taking a wipe that is coated with vaseline or desitin and wiping front to back when they are complaining of itching. Or this can be done by you but without looking if the kid can't mange it. If there is active itching, the vaseline or desitin will probably pick up the worm.
I think under age 3 it's ok to check the surface. Easiest way to spot and remove.

Have you actually been able to see a worm in the vaseline? I might try this trick with my daughter.

I have heard that putting vaseline on the area at night can limit the worms' movements, and so reduce itchiness, as well as catch the eggs so they don't spread. Oy I've been talking about this for too many years....

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 9:34 pm
How do you know when the pinworms are gone? If no one has symptoms anymore, do you think I can assume it’s gone? Thanks

creditcards

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 9:37 pm
I would check at the same age that I still wipe them when they go to the bathroom. Older than that I would be uncomfortable. I caught a lot of them over the years. I treat it anyway if they complain checking is just for catching them.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:06 am
Pinworm remedy:

garlic gels from Solgar. Put vaseline on the area and put in the gel like a suppository.

( bowel movement may come five minutes later, but it
still serves its purpose.)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sol.....oss_1

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 2:10 am
DD is 6 and complained of itchiness tonight and said it's probably worms because it feels like that. Wrapped tape around my finger, closed the light and checked with a flashlight and lo behind there were two worms crawling near the inside of her vaginal opening. I was able to nab one with the tape and the other one escaped back inside. However, there have been times that she complained and I didn't find any worms. DD prefers having the worms removed if I can see them because she claims it's less itchy. Honestly I hate checking my kids privates in general, but I know that those feelings are due to past trauma that I have BH worked through. Now if anyone can give me ideas on how I can prevent these nasty worms, in all ears. My daughter is not a nail biter or thumb sucker and I make her wash her hands all the time. Yet, she gets worms every 4 months like clockwork. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Banging head

gingertop

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 5:21 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Have you actually been able to see a worm in the vaseline? I might try this trick with my daughter.

I have heard that putting vaseline on the area at night can limit the worms' movements, and so reduce itchiness, as well as catch the eggs so they don't spread. Oy I've been talking about this for too many years....

I've caught worms this way several times. When the itchiness is so extreme, there is usually an external worm and I've found that they get caught in desitin.
This is besides for the rest of the treatment. It's just the immediate removal of the visible and painful worm while medicine is given for the rest.

gingertop

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 5:26 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
DD is 6 and complained of itchiness tonight and said it's probably worms because it feels like that. Wrapped tape around my finger, closed the light and checked with a flashlight and lo behind there were two worms crawling near the inside of her vaginal opening. I was able to nab one with the tape and the other one escaped back inside. However, there have been times that she complained and I didn't find any worms. DD prefers having the worms removed if I can see them because she claims it's less itchy. Honestly I hate checking my kids privates in general, but I know that those feelings are due to past trauma that I have BH worked through. Now if anyone can give me ideas on how I can prevent these nasty worms, in all ears. My daughter is not a nail biter or thumb sucker and I make her wash her hands all the time. Yet, she gets worms every 4 months like clockwork. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Banging head

I had one kid like that (although I blamed it on her sucking her thumb). I found giving her Kyolic on a regular basis helpful. It didn't prevent it 100% of the time but did reduce incidences.
I poured 15 drops into a few ounces of grape juice, 2X a day.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 5:55 am
If you have dogs or cats that go outside, even for a few minutes a day, make sure that they are wormed the same time you do the whole family.

Going barefoot can give you get worms, especially at a public park. Gardening stirs up a lot of eggs in the soil. Playing in a sandbox is especially prone to giving worms.

Adults often don't get the private itchiness. It shows up as a general irritable feeling that is out of proportion to the situation, anxiety, and grinding your back teeth. Whenever I feel that way, I take the meds, and it disappears within two days.

In my experience, Vermox is the only way to break the whole lifecycle.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 6:53 am
Don't put stuff inside, don't try your remedies on other people lol. VERMOX and equivalent.

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 7:08 am
I wouldn't check a child for pinworms. If they have symptoms I may look in the toilet after a bowel movement for those under 4 as I still wipe them. Otherwise, if they complain about symptoms I would do the test or contact the pediatrician.

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 7:11 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

I totally dont get this. When you have pinworms, removing one or two wont help. You need to treat with Vermox and then tens/hundreds of them come out in the stool dead. Your daughter is 4 so it is possible she is still catching it at school.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 7:48 am
nchr wrote:
I totally dont get this. When you have pinworms, removing one or two wont help. You need to treat with Vermox and then tens/hundreds of them come out in the stool dead. Your daughter is 4 so it is possible she is still catching it at school.

This is an addition to treating with vermox the morning after I find them, as they're usually found at night.

HelloG

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is what we are dealing with.

I still take out from my four year old's front. she is in dire pain in mid of night and I won't let her stay that way
but I found if she urinates it comes out by itself so you can try to encourage urinating
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics