Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Google home/Alexa

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:04 pm
Can someone explain to me what they DO? How do they help you? I feel so dumb I just don't get it.

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:22 pm
Let's say you're cooking or washing dishes and you suddenly teenager you need to call the doctor you say "Alexa, remind me to call the doctor in ten minutes" then ten minutes later Alexa will say "reminder, call doctor"

If you have her hooked up to your phone, she could even call for you.

We use it to remind us to check on food in the oven
And when candles is. It's especially helpful in those Fridays where everything is happening all at once.

If you are baking and have no idea how many cups are in a liter you can ask Alexa and she will do the conversions for you.

You can keep a grocery list, or a task list. She can play music while you are doing your chores. You can have her remind you to do your chores.

Probably more that I can't think of

hmmm123

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:08 pm
I have an echo dot with Alexa and I love it. Plays music for my kids including radio. I set alarms and timers which are then announced AND come up on my phone. I add things to my shopping list app by telling Alexa to add it to my list. I ask it for conversions while cooking in the kitchen. It also works as a regular speaker to connect your phone etc to it. I'm talking about the echo dot which doesn't have a screen. Hope that helps:)

Ima4therecord

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:15 pm
I like to use it for mostly music (also btw I have Spotify which has a ton of Jewish music so that's good Smile. My two year old knows how to use it lol. She says Alexa, play baby shark! Or Alexa play happy birthday! People say about it that the government is spying on you and it's dangerous... But I don't really care if that's true cause my Fam doesn't have anything to hide lol

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 5:56 am
Instead of googling everything, you just yell it at Alexa. Or if you wanna play music "Alexa, play _____". Or setting timers, alarms, reminders... Checking the weather, the time, finding your phone. We have her connected to our living room lightbulbs, so "Alexa, turn on/off the lughts"

Gulabi

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 6:22 am
My friend argues and shouts at her alexa a lot it's hilarious! Some of the results are a riot, especially with regional and strong accents

little neshamala

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 7:30 am
Love my alexa so much! We play music all day long, I tell her to remimd me things in 20 minutes all the time, she's always reminding me to "check on the chicken" "kids its your bedtime" and other things. We also set her to remind us things automatically every single weekday like "dovid your bus is coming soon".I ask for the weather, facts etc

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:17 am
We also mostly use ours to play music or listen to stories. We also use it to set timers and reminders pretty often. Like when a child has to practice kriah for x number of minutes, or when I tell my dd she can read for five more minutes while I nurse the baby and then she has to go brush her teeth. We keep the microphone off on ours most of the time because of privacy concerns. Which takes away from the convenience somewhat, but no one seems to mind much.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:22 am
so basically its used to set reminders, play music and google things?

Stuff that can all be done on your phone?
Not to be a party pooper lol we just hear from friends how its so amazing and I told DH we should get one, and he's like find me one thing it can do that your phone can't.....

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not to be a party pooper lol we just hear from friends how its so amazing and I told DH we should get one, and he's like find me one thing it can do that your phone can't.....

It's a speaker that plays great sound. Not in any way comparable to a phone in that sense. And the kids have access to it, whereas I don't allow them to use my phone. A phone can also handle all of the basic functionalities of a computer, but a computer is often more user friendly. So in a similar way, we have a computer even though we have smart phones.

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:04 am
The speakers are more powerful than a phones speakers

little neshamala

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The reason I love it so much is because its totally hands free. Things always pop up when my hands are full, and ordinarily I would have just made a mental note to do xyz in a few minutes-and I wouldnt always remember.

Like this, I can be washing dishes, doing homework with my kids, kneading challa dough, whipping a dessert, making my daughter's hair and all I have to do is talk and say "alexa remind me in 5 minutes to check on the sweet potatos, set an alarm for 22 minutes, remind me in a half hour to call the insurance company back, set a reminder for 9:15 to run the dishwasher" etc etc.

It literally takes 4 seconds, and is done while you continue whatever you were doing. No stopping to go over to your phone to type in a reminder.
I would never type in a million small reminders in my phone, its so tedious and interrupts the activity .

I was a huge cynic myself, and never would have bought it until someone gave it to me...now I can say it has improved the quality of my life Very Happy

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:12 am
little neshamala wrote:
The reason I love it so much is because its totally hands free. Things always pop up when my hands are full, and ordinarily I would have just made a mental note to do xyz in a few minutes-and I wouldnt always remember.

Like this, I can be washing dishes, doing homework with my kids, kneading challa dough, whipping a dessert, making my daughter's hair and all I have to do is talk and say "alexa remind me in 5 minutes to check on the sweet potatos, set an alarm for 22 minutes, remind me in a half hour to call the insurance company back, set a reminder for 9:15 to run the dishwasher" etc etc.

It literally takes 4 seconds, and is done while you continue whatever you were doing. No stopping to go over to your phone to type in a reminder.
I would never type in a million small reminders in my phone, its so tedious and interrupts the activity .

I was a huge cynic myself, and never would have bought it until someone gave it to me...now I can say it has improved the quality of my life Very Happy

Yes. The fact that it's hands free it awesome. I use my Google phone in my office to ask really stupid math questions. And my coworkers make fun of me, but it's so much easier to say "hey Google" then to pull up the calculator especially when I don't want to lose my place
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics