Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Burnt out from Succoth.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:20 pm
Im still exhausted from yom tov. All the guests and cooking. Need a vacation. Who feels with me??

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:26 pm
Still? I’m beginning to get overwhelmed about Pesach already!!! Every time I find food my toddler shmeared or dropped somewhere , Pesach panic comes to mind.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:29 pm
I hear ya!!!
But I agree with thunderstorm... I'm already wondering when is the best time to have my car professionally cleaned!

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:31 pm
Thank you OP. I feel the same. My kids were talking about Thanksgiving today and I just don't have what it takes to do it now.

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:48 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Thank you OP. I feel the same. My kids were talking about Thanksgiving today and I just don't have what it takes to do it now.

Thanksgiving is one day with one meal. Succot is 9 days with multiple meals. OP, were the guests non negotiable ie parents, inlaws? If not. Why u have them?

rowo

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:19 pm
Me too!
Struggling to get back to myself and normal life.
Could really use a break.

There’s lots of ‘but everyone else seems to be managing’ going on in my head and getting me down, so thanks for the reassurance that it’s not just me Smile

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:29 pm
I always say the Succos laundry lasts until Chanukah. I still have one large basket of my 2 teen daughters' 16 Shabbos outfits that need to washed on cold delicates, and then carefully hung or later out to dry. B"H I got everyone else's finished, which is a miracle with all the regular clothes, uniforms, towels and linens that are part of the weekly laundry ...

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:42 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Still? I’m beginning to get overwhelmed about Pesach already!!! Every time I find food my toddler shmeared or dropped somewhere , Pesach panic comes to mind.

Same here. And its a 3 day first days and motzei is thursday night. No family to rely on ever here. Burnt out is an understatement .

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 9:06 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Thanksgiving is one day with one meal. Succot is 9 days with multiple meals. OP, were the guests non negotiable ie parents, inlaws? If not. Why u have them?

9 days of Succos definitely trumps one day of Thanksgiving, especially factoring in not having the challenges of halacha (juggling one burner and a crockpot, issues with adjusting temps, etc.).
BUT
I have no idea how Blush's family does Thanksgiving, and how many people she's cooking for, and what her work schedule is, but I get the impression that there are certain expectations for Thanksgiving to pull out ALL the stops. You can't get by with soup, main course of protein, side dish, veg., and dessert. You need a few alternatives for each, besides the turkey.
To Blush I say, is there any way to make this potluck? Even if - for all we know - you're single-handedly hosting the whole family of 39 because you want to make sure that everything is kosher. You might still be able to delegate or outsource some of the meal.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 9:13 pm
Yep. Got sick toward the beginning of Succos and pushed through without slowing down, chol hamoed trips and hosting meals and all. Still paying for it, especially since I walked straight into full-on school work with all the kids, including first tests and projects. And there are three sets of parent teacher conferences before Thanksgiving. Which b"H I don't have to make.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:23 pm
In reagard to Thanksgiving, I meant that after making Yom Tov, (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kipur, Sucot and all Shabat meals in between, minimum of 12 people each meal, lots of people sleeping over) the very thought of making Thanksgiving made me realize today that I am so not over Succot. I wasn't comparing Succot at all to Thanksgiving.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:25 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I always say the Succos laundry lasts until Chanukah. I still have one large basket of my 2 teen daughters' 16 Shabbos outfits that need to washed on cold delicates, and then carefully hung or later out to dry. B"H I got everyone else's finished, which is a miracle with all the regular clothes, uniforms, towels and linens that are part of the weekly laundry ...

I hope you're exaggerating... 16 shabbos outfits.

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:26 pm
I can totally relate, many years when Pesach is over I avoid the kitchen until Shavuos.

But my teenagers (boys and girls!) were taught to do their own laundry. Some people are overwhelmed because they feel like they need to do everything themselves?

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:25 am
penguin wrote:
I can totally relate, many years when Pesach is over I avoid the kitchen until Shavuos.

But my teenagers (boys and girls!) were taught to do their own laundry. Some people are overwhelmed because they feel like they need to do everything themselves?

My ten year olds sometimes do their own laundry.

Also, I learned that yomtov is meat and potatoes, chicken and potatoes, meat and potatoes,
chicken and potatoes. Sometimes I replace the potatos with quinoa.

Dessert is compote from the freezer.

(Once in a while there is vegetable or chicken soup from the freezer.) Keeep it simple.

If someone doesnt like it there is the stove, the pot, frozen veggies and they can take over.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 6:49 am
I do everything minimum now
It's just been too much!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics