Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby on stomach
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:27 pm
Am I the only one that puts my baby on his/her stomach?
It is so much more comfortable and healthy for them that way, yet
every doctor says to put them on their back...??!

paperflowers

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:36 pm
It’s good for babies to spend time on their stomachs to build muscle strength (and keep their heads round). Lots of babies don’t like “tummy time” so it’s great that yours is comfortable in that position. But they should sleep only on their backs until they can roll over. It drastically reduces the risk of suffocating in their sleep.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:41 pm
Yes my babies sleep in their stomach as soon as they can lift their head

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:27 pm
I'd love for my baby to sleep on his stomach but he hates it. He screams hysterically every time he's put on his stomach.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:35 pm
My baby is 2 1/2 months and sleeps best on his stomach

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 6:47 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I'd love for my baby to sleep on his stomach but he hates it. He screams hysterically every time he's put on his stomach.

so why do it?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 7:22 am
Ruchal, Because he doesn't sleep well. My other babies didn't sleep well till I put them on their stomach. I was scared at first but it's the only way anyone got sleep.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 7:32 am
My oldest two were tummy sleepers.
As long as they could lift their head ok and the mattress was firm with nothing around them they slept in their tummies.

My 3rd hated sleeping on his tummy. He just wouldn't sleep. He'd wake up as soon as I put him down on his tummy. He liked swaddled on his back elevated. Now at 5 months old he stated sleeping in his side and sometimes on his tummy.

There is more to it than just tummy sleeping re sids.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 8:06 am
Try propping him in his side with a blanket.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 8:13 am
I also put my baby on her stomach and then feel guilty when the doctor asks if she sleeps on her back and I say yes (justifying it with well sometimes she sleeps on her back like in the car seat or maybe the babysitter...?) For all of you who put your babies on their stomachs, are you honest with the doctor about it? What does the doctor say if you are?

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 8:36 am
I am/was.
The ped in the cits told me to make sure my newborn has some neck control and that the mattress she's sleeping in is firm.... he was totally ok with it.

The ped were I live now, he'll say I should try putting them on their backs. And that "back to sleep" and so on. And I'd shake my head and agree that it's a good idea to put baby on its back.....

And then put baby to sleep the way it would actually sleep....

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 8:45 am
My pediatrician doesn't have a problem with stomach sleeping.
Of all the SIDS deaths I know of, NONE were stomach sleepers.

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 8:56 am
Yes I put my newborns on their stomach
My youngest was the only one who started rolling over to his back and still sleeps only on his back.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:01 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I also put my baby on her stomach and then feel guilty when the doctor asks if she sleeps on her back and I say yes (justifying it with well sometimes she sleeps on her back like in the car seat or maybe the babysitter...?) For all of you who put your babies on their stomachs, are you honest with the doctor about it? What does the doctor say if you are?
I was honest with my doctor and she said that back to sleep needs to be re evaluated if your baby doesn't actually SLEEP. She also said that SIDS is complicated and not well understood, and she's fine with stomach sleeping with no other known risk factors.

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:07 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I was honest with my doctor and she said that back to sleep needs to be re evaluated if your baby doesn't actually SLEEP. She also said that SIDS is complicated and not well understood, and she's fine with stomach sleeping with no other known risk factors.

My doctors are too afraid to say that out loud, they can probably lose their license or something. but I did the research, realized how it makes no logical sense.
So I tell them, and they give me the party line, and we all move on.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:22 am
All 6 of mine slept on their stomachs. I won't lie. They started off on their sides and backs and after a couple days of constant waking I put them on their stomach where they slept for a couple hours. I won't lie. The first 2 weeks so was nervous and every time they moved so checked on them. You need a tight fitting sheet. After 2 weeks, they developed such strong neck muscles, I was no longer worried. bH their writing and skills are great and they are all active smart children. As an OT, I have a job because of all the back sleepers who don't get enough tummy time.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:57 am
SuperWify wrote:
Try propping him in his side with a blanket.

Please don’t do that.

For those saying their babies don’t sleep well on their backs, did you try swaddling? And absolutely do give plenty of tummy time during the day.

pizzapie

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:00 am
My babies all slept on their stomachs. All started out on their backs and once I put them to sleep on their bellies they actually slept! SIDS is really not well understood. Although the back to sleep campaign has reduced the incidence of SIDS drastically, a lot of the deaths were actually due to suffocation. I have also heard that there has been some research showing that increased temperatures (hyperthermia) is linked to SIDS.
Per my pediatrician (yes, I told her, I don't lie) if you put your baby to sleep on his or her belly make sure there is a tight fitted sheet and nothing else in the crib. No blankets.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:06 am
Dancingqueen, what's wrong with propping a baby on the side with a blanket?

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:08 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Please don’t do that.

For those saying their babies don’t sleep well on their backs, did you try swaddling? And absolutely do give plenty of tummy time during the day.

Of course I tried swaddling. All of my babies are swaddled and put on their backs from day one. And every one of them stopped sleeping at around four weeks. After a week of NO normal daytime or nighttime sleep, I stopped swaddling and put them on their stomach, and they sleep well again.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics