Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bedroom interior design rules

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 3:17 pm
So I am sure that there aren’t any rules but I mean what mistakes do I want to avoid in doing up our bedroom? On a budget.

We just have cupboards, beds, bedside tables and nice blinds and carpet, but I want to get a headboard and also add a bit of colour to one (or more?) walls.

Do I add colour to the wall which the beds are up against? And that’s obviously where the headboard will be too. I want to get one big one fixed to the wall.

I’m going to go with the greys as that will match what is already there.

SingALong

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 8:01 pm
Personally I like neutral coloring for things you don’t change often like floor, walls and furniture. Then I add color with linen or cute throw pillows. I happen to have 2 purple slipper chairs since I got them dirt cheap so I didn’t care but there’s only grey and cream in my room besides so it doesn’t clash. And some purple in my linen so it works. I’d stick with neutral for the headboards since you don’t change that often. You can add color with a lamp or accessories On your dresser or nightstand, a throw blanket, etc. I also think simple neutral colors add to relaxation of the room

Window

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 8:02 pm
According to Halacha, two separate beds with one shared headboard is not okay for Nidda times

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 8:05 pm
Do whatever floats your boat. No one will see your room but you and dh, one hopes, but even if they did, it’s YOUR room and needs to please no one but the two people who sleep there.

As for painting one wall, paint the one to which you want to call attention. That may be the one behind your bed but it may be the one with windows or the one with the dresser or mirror. Or you could add color by leaving the walls as they are but painting all or some of the woodwork a contrasting color. Or you could hang curtains or buy new bedspreads or comforters for a less permanent and less labor-intensive way to add color.

Just avoid anything too loud and wild as it supposedly interferes with sleep. How this is possible if it’s dark and your eyes are closed I cannot fathom, but that’s what the sleep experts claim.

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 8:11 pm
qwertyqwerty wrote:
According to Halacha, two separate beds with one shared headboard is not okay for Nidda times
even if the headboard is attached the wall and not mounted on the beds and the beds are separated?

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 8:36 pm
Do a darker gray on the accent wall, and it should be the headboard wall.
And get white linen curtains! Gorgeous!!! If you're on a budget, watch YouTube tutorials on how to make curtains out of walmart flatsheets. I have in my bedroom and it's really beautiful. So airy and luxurious looking!
Get a bench to put at the foot of the beds (maybe match it to the headboards).

tweety1

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 8:50 pm
I got upholstered headboards. They're gorgeous!

Kinor Dovid

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 1:28 am
qwertyqwerty wrote:

If the beds are not attached to the headboard it’s ok. (Basically, The headboard is nailed in to the wall, not the beds).
Then it’s no problem.
Greys sound beautiful and neutral and will go nice with almost any set of linen and silver metallics (silver telephone, lamp base, makeup tray..)
Happy Decorating!!

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 4:42 am
qwertyqwerty wrote:

If t's just a piece of wood bolted to the wall and not attached to the beds, why should it matter? How is it any different from an oil painting or a window?

(FWIW, I don't even understand why it would matter if it were attached to one of the beds. It seems like the part where yo actually sleep should make the difference. It's not like you are going to accidentally crawl along the headboard into your DH's bed.)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:29 am
qwertyqwerty wrote:

If there is a heker between the beds (nightstand) and the beds are not attached it's fine.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 11:14 am
DrMom wrote:
It's not like you are going to accidentally crawl along the headboard into your DH's bed.)

Rolling Laughter LOL LOL LOL

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 11:21 am
Just answer OP question. If she had wanted halachik advice she’d have asked for it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 5:02 am
Thank you all! Such helpful suggestions.

As for headboard- it will be attached to the wall, not the beds. Think just an extension of the wall! My parents have always had a wooden one like that- mine will be upholstered.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:04 am
Maybe not everybody's thing, but what about choosing a specific type of style or topic?
I somehow started liking classic Japanese interior design. Our bedroom used to be just drab and blank. But since, I've added a huge bamboo stem as a curtain rod, a kind of grid above the window and a dark rattan portable wall. I've tried to emphasize black-white-orange contrasts. Small changes overall, but they get the message accross and I like it much better since.
There are many other options - think Italian bedroom, French bedroom, baroque bedroom, countryside bedroom, beach design - and many more. Maybe go googling different bedroom designs for ideas. (Hope no American comes up with the idea that it is all "cultural appropriation"...)

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:37 am
For great visuals check out Houzz.com
I get a lot of design ideas from this sight
I have a dark grey wall and a white upholstery headboard and love the contrast. I kept everything in the neutral family but my dresser has some gold accents in it and so does the duvet. It works beautifully
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics