Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you pay your in house babysitter?
Previous  1  2

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 3:50 am
In Australia babysitters are pretty unaffordable. 8 years ago I paid $18 per hour, 1 child.
Now the rate is $23-$26 p/h. Off the books of course.
I’m reading $600 per week & I can’t believe it.
Granted I only employed Jewish ladies & so do most others but one still needs to earn about $40 per hour just to cover babysitting.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:27 am
I live in Brooklyn and pay $20 an hour for a frum woman. No cleaning included.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:36 am
My non Jewish live in gets $950 gross a week, plus health insurance and then a car, room, board and food. She also cleans. Upstate NY. I know some people have live in for $500 but I assume that is not on payroll.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:44 am
I pay $13/hr + car fare ($5.50) in Brooklyn. Frum woman. Its just taking care of the kids no housework at all. But to me having a frum woman is very important.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 9:42 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I pay $13/hr + car fare ($5.50) in Brooklyn. Frum woman. Its just taking care of the kids no housework at all. But to me having a frum woman is very important.

I’m surprised you found a frum lady willing to work for $13/hour. Also, I’m guessing you don’t work on Friday or erev yontiff. I tried to do frum babysitter but it’s never worked for me. You are lucky to have that.

frumPA

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m surprised you found a frum lady willing to work for $13/hour. Also, I’m guessing you don’t work on Friday or erev yontiff. I tried to do frum babysitter but it’s never worked for me. You are lucky to have that.

Right that does not work. I am a PA and work in a hospital long shifts so its only Monday and Tuesday though 11-11.5 hrs each day. I never work erev yom tov, chol hamoed. I take off for those so its not an issue for me. But yes I do appreciate it. And because its a long day I really want someone frum because my older kids are home with her 2.5 hrs too and I dont want to be worried about what the babysitter talks to them about or what they ask her..:

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 3:47 pm

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 25 2020, 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 4:17 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
How is anyone supposed to live on $2,000 a month? Even if off the books...

FYI, I make slightly more than I pay for babysitting. 2/3rds of my paycheck go to babysitting.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 6:45 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Really? Your children are not important enough? Babysitters are taking care of your precious children (so that you may earn your salary)And yes some of them cook supper and do light housework.
People spend money on clothing, extra curricular, takeout and so many other things and yet babysitters are treated like they are worth less than others.

In case you’re wondering:
No I am not a babysitter.

Ummm... we dont overly spend on clothing and we dont buy takeout. If you start overpricing babysitting, many people will not be able to work.
They are also paid cash which probably evens out to minimum wage.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:21 am
I pay $14 and hour, but she's paid by the week for any day she comes. It comes out to $528 a week. I couldn't afford it on my own, so I'm sharing with 2 other families. Baltimore.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics