Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Male gymnastics instructor for girls
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 12:12 am
Would you send?
Curious to hear different opinions, since my friend and I don't agree on this one.
If you want to, please tell me your background and reasoning why yes or no...
Thanks!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 12:14 am
No I wouldn't. I consider myself just plain frum, I'm careful about halacha but we are open minded in a lot of ways. There are too many horror stories and I feel it's just not appropriate.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 12:20 am
Nope I wouldn't send my girls to a male instructor. I wouldn't go to a male instructor either. Not a frumkeit issue, just a safety issue. There are enough good female instructors.

glowing1

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 12:38 am
No, I wouldn’t.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 12:49 am
Never.
Even if there were no female instructors!

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 1:23 am
No! Its not safe. Forget about halacha.

sub

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 1:31 am
No! Just no!

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:41 am
I don't feel it's appropriate and that has nothing to do with halacha.

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:44 am
I agree with everyone else -- just no. Torani today, raised in a very open BT household and attended BY schools.

Although safety issues are the first thing on my mind, I also don't think a male gymnast really could teach a female gymnast how to be the best she could be. Our bodies are built differently, with different strengths. There is no comparison.

chefmama

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 3:04 am
No I wouldn’t. JPF

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:12 am
Terrible idea.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:24 am
Absolutely not. That would be so unsafe.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:30 am
Lol. I have a business in which I arrange gymnastics classes and most of my instructors are male. I’ve got a lot of clients so I guess a lot of people disagree. I completely trust my instructors and there is always supervision regardless. Of course for over bars mitzvah there are many that would say it’s a Halachic issue.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 8:30 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Lol. I have a business in which I arrange gymnastics classes and most of my instructors are male. I’ve got a lot of clients so I guess a lot of people disagree. I completely trust my instructors and there is always supervision regardless. Of course for over bars mitzvah there are many that would say it’s a Halachic issue.

Do you do official background checks, full disclosure checks?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 8:36 am
I wouldnt.
Having said that - I’ll play devils advocate- if an instructor isnt safe for whatever reason- he shouldnt be around little boys either.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 8:38 am
I have been arranging an all girls gymnastics program for many years and to my knowledge none of my parents would have ever gone for a male instructor even with supervision which I do provide. I don’t think it’s a good idea for frum girls in general. My goal is to provide a program that anyone would feel comfortable sending their daughter to. I have a daughter and personally wouldn’t do it. Even if the male coach has no intentions whatsoever of harming a student but it’s very probable when spotting to accidentally touch the students bottom and I can’t imagine my daughter being comfortable with that even by accident. She would come to me about it. How many girls wouldn’t feel comfortable talking to their moms? Or what about the girls that would talk about it and the moms that overreact to something innocent. I wouldn’t want that additional headache. Just to give a perspective, I’m MO (maybe a little more to the right of the that of that) but many of my students families range from modern yeshivish to very frum and I just don’t see it being ok.

As a side note, I don’t remember who posted that male coaches aren’t as capable but I will say that male coaches are extremely capable of coaching gymnastics and it has nothing to with male vs. female bodies. Gymnastics is a very rigorous and hard sport. It takes a lot of stamina and strength on the part of the gymnast and the coach. My coaches get physically tired of spotting girls that just want to do back handspring or back tucks and they’re backs end up hurting after some point during the day. I feel for them and try to get the students and parents to understand that an entire session can’t be just about spotting but working on conditioning and strengthening of the gymnast building core strength which will ultimately accelerate the learning process.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 8:47 am
Oh H*LL no!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....andal

In order to find this link, I had to Google "abuse gymnastics coach." I was appalled at how many items came up, from all across the country, and around the world.

Coaches have to have their hands on the girl's body in order to show them how to balance and position themselves properly. If a girl is taught not to let men touch them, and then the parent says "let this man touch you", she'll be confused and not sure if something is inappropriate or not. That's how these instructors get away with it for so long. It's easy to grab a quick grope, even when the parents are standing right there!

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 9:07 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh H*LL no!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....andal

In order to find this link, I had to Google "abuse gymnastics coach." I was appalled at how many items came up, from all across the country, and around the world.

Coaches have to have their hands on the girl's body in order to show them how to balance and position themselves properly. If a girl is taught not to let men touch them, and then the parent says "let this man touch you", she'll be confused and not sure if something is inappropriate or not. That's how these instructors get away with it for so long. It's easy to grab a quick grope, even when the parents are standing right there!

You’re so right about the abuse!!! Larry Nassar has been in the news and was convicted of s-xual abuse of many gymnasts. Girls don’t always know how to speak up.

From a religious point of view, you said exactly what I was thinking when I said it’s not ok. So if we’re telling our daughters not to let men touch them and we keep them segregated and yet we allow male coaches to touch our girls, the lines become blurred and confusion sets in.

I wouldn’t want to open the doors to this.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 1:48 pm
4 year old? yeah
primary? no

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:01 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

That’s awesome! You might want to consider bringing on some female instructors too though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics