Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Don't have a school?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 1:58 pm
What do the parents of boys who want to move to Toms River or Lakewood do if their kids aren’t accepted anywhere ?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:09 pm
groisamomma wrote:

Hashem knows that every single administrator in Lakewood will have to give din v'cheshbon after 120. I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear the defense.

My child's principal said that her school accepted a bunch of ateres tzipora girls, even though they weren't a good fit. I know a few of those parents, and they truly don't fit in the school, but the school took them because they wanted to help. She said every school took in a few. You can't have 400 girls suddenly without a school and then badmouth all administrators for not taking all those girls. Heck, a school even opened another class to accommodate them even better.
Please stop spreading motzi shem ra on all admins
Thanks

chestnut

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:10 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
For elementary school by of ocean county opened. It’s still very small. I know ppl sending there who are very happy. Warm. Small. Good education. Nice mix of families. Less rules.

Oh, is this in a shul('s basement?), with mostly girls from Ateres Tzipporah? Then, I guess, it was opened this summer. Good for them

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:16 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
What do the parents of boys who want to move to Toms River or Lakewood do if their kids aren’t accepted anywhere ?

They go to Kol Torah...
Enough said.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:18 pm
Another jade can you please explain.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:29 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
My child's principal said that her school accepted a bunch of ateres tzipora girls, even though they weren't a good fit. I know a few of those parents, and they truly don't fit in the school, but the school took them because they wanted to help. She said every school took in a few. You can't have 400 girls suddenly without a school and then badmouth all administrators for not taking all those girls. Heck, a school even opened another class to accommodate them even better.
Please stop spreading motzi shem ra on all admins
Thanks

That's my daughter's school.
She has a few new girls in her class now. They are literally way over capacity. There are nearly 30 girls in my daughter's class, and I don't think anybody's happy about that, but we're glad that a few more little girls aren't suffering.
Some administrators, however, are evil. There are some schools that refuse to take a single AT girl. It's horrible, and THOSE are the admins that will have to give a serious din v'cheshbon one day.

small bean

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 2:32 pm
I dont thing the schools are in the wrong here. They are a business. We dont have a community school here. Private schools do not have to take anyone. Bais yakov ocean county open all area tzipotah girls can go. No school has or had an obligation to take them.

I think they will get judged like the rest of us. For being Adam lechaveor. This not having anything to do with whether you are in the school or out.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:08 am
It's not so simple. I heard that BY of Ocean County does not have enough girls for every grade. I know someone who initially sent their daughter, but she was lumped in a class with girls who aren't her age or grade level because there weren't enough girls to make a class for them....that's not really getting her an education they want, it's basically like babysitting. That's not what they want to pay tuition for - they want her in a class of girls her own age, not lumped with the grade beneath her. In the end they kept her home, and I heard they got her into a different school B"H.

It's not so simple to say, there's a school open for them, let them just go there.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:34 am
Chayalle wrote:
It's not so simple. I heard that BY of Ocean County does not have enough girls for every grade. I know someone who initially sent their daughter, but she was lumped in a class with girls who aren't her age or grade level because there weren't enough girls to make a class for them....that's not really getting her an education they want, it's basically like babysitting. That's not what they want to pay tuition for - they want her in a class of girls her own age, not lumped with the grade beneath her. In the end they kept her home, and I heard they got her into a different school B"H.

It's not so simple to say, there's a school open for them, let them just go there.

The truth is, it’s not so easy from either side. From the school side, you have classes that are way too big, girls who are not an appropriate fit for the school (socially, academically, religiously, etc.) and all of that makes it even harder on the teachers. And don’t forget, the existing parents may not be happy with the influx and all it brings along.
Then you have the parents, who may not feel that the school is right for their kid. Then you have the parents who ONLY want their kid to go to certain schools. Combine all three, and you have a serious disaster.
As a partial outsider (my whole in law family lives in Lakewood, and I have numerous in laws who work in schools, and have had many conversations with them about this) what I don’t understand is why administrators take their summer vacation before all kids are placed. I don’t understand why, come September, there are still kids with no school. Applications go out after succos, and by December/January, everyone has gotten their letters, right? So they have from let’s say February until June to work on it, plus July and August. I just don’t understand how this happens every year, and why it’s not taken care of earlier.
Maybe someone in Lakewood can explain it to me....

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:46 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
The truth is, it’s not so easy from either side. From the school side, you have classes that are way too big, girls who are not an appropriate fit for the school (socially, academically, religiously, etc.) and all of that makes it even harder on the teachers. And don’t forget, the existing parents may not be happy with the influx and all it brings along.
Then you have the parents, who may not feel that the school is right for their kid. Then you have the parents who ONLY want their kid to go to certain schools. Combine all three, and you have a serious disaster.
As a partial outsider (my whole in law family lives in Lakewood, and I have numerous in laws who work in schools, and have had many conversations with them about this) what I don’t understand is why administrators take their summer vacation before all kids are placed. I don’t understand why, come September, there are still kids with no school. Applications go out after succos, and by December/January, everyone has gotten their letters, right? So they have from let’s say February until June to work on it, plus July and August. I just don’t understand how this happens every year, and why it’s not taken care of earlier.

Slots do open up in the summer.
I got into a school last minute when parents decided to push forward or hold back. This was a very small school. I’d imagine in a bigger school there would be even more openings.
Many classes in Lakewood at this point are bursting at 28+ students (primary age). It’s not like class sizes are being kept small to exclude kids.

A friend of mine has kids in by of ocean county and she sounds happy. Class sizes are small but that is how schools grow.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:48 am
I don't get it either. I have no explanation. Maybe someone else does.

I think it's a game of pass the present...with every administrator hoping a different school lands with the present.....

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:50 am
I got into a school last minute when parents decided to push forward or hold back. This was a very small school. I’d imagine in a bigger school there would be even more openings.
Many classes in Lakewood at this point are bursting at 28+ students (primary age). It’s not like class sizes are being kept small to exclude kids.

A friend of mine has kids in by of ocean county and she sounds happy. Class sizes are small but that is how schools grow.

Yes, my niece got into Primary when another child went back to kindergarten. This was after school already started.

The classes have 30 girls each. Ten classes of each grade. You can't really push them to take more kids.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:52 am
Which school do your daughters go to? Which schools took in thr A.T girls.
My girls are in schools Jewish I could switch but I know since Lakewood already has bo place my option is limited. There would be maybe one new school that would maybe accept my daughters but I know that once I leave my child seat in the classroom will be gone and there is no turning back so right no I'm in a hard to get into school and suffering-hugs not welcome

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:00 pm

I understand slots open up in the summer, but why are there still so many children without schools at the start of the school year? I’m saying why is that not taken care of before? Let’s say they start working on it in February.....that’s 6 or 7 months!!!! It doesn’t make sense to me that after all that time, there are STILL kids who don’t have schools.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:58 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I understand slots open up in the summer, but why are there still so many children without schools at the start of the school year? I’m saying why is that not taken care of before? Let’s say they start working on it in February.....that’s 6 or 7 months!!!! It doesn’t make sense to me that after all that time, there are STILL kids who don’t have schools.

Because no one wants to go to the new schools.

Every year there are more and more children needing slots....so new schools open up, but it's like the losers in musical chairs...because people are wary sending to a new school. And I don't blame them.

So even if they work on it in February by opening a new school....there are people holding out for existing schools when school starts.

This is, of course, for primary girls or 9th graders...not talking about girls in other grades who need a school.

Flip Flops

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 12:39 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

This was my original question:
Do these kids not have any school or do they have a school, just not the school of their choice?
I feel like nobody has a straight answer for me.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 12:50 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
This was my original question:
Do these kids not have any school or do they have a school, just not the school of their choice?
I feel like nobody has a straight answer for me.

I think there is a school for everyone, just maybe not exactly what or where they want.

My daughter's high school just got a few girls from Lakewood. We live hours from there and they are boarding. They came about 2 weeks ago and everyone was so excited to welcome them. They did not come into the school as girls who were rejected or who had no place, they are seen as just new potential friends to be made.

There is a whole country of schools in the States. Yes, that may mean a family may have to pick up and move or send their girls packing. And yes, I realize that not everyone WANTS to do that. But do we have the luxury of doing what we want to do all the time?

On this board and in life, I am someone who is vocal about not being stuck where you are. Moving is hard! Leaving family and jobs... its hard!! But sometimes its the only way to get the change you need. If Lakewood is not sustainable and not meant for what has become of it, then what other options are there? There are simply not enough chairs for all of the children and not enough money to create more places for more chairs. And seeing as (BH BH!) so many babies are born every year, no one can keep up with the demand.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 12:56 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
That's my daughter's school.
She has a few new girls in her class now. They are literally way over capacity. There are nearly 30 girls in my daughter's class, and I don't think anybody's happy about that, but we're glad that a few more little girls aren't suffering.
Some administrators, however, are evil. There are some schools that refuse to take a single AT girl. It's horrible, and THOSE are the admins that will have to give a serious din v'cheshbon one day.

So curious to know which school if u don't mind sharing. Thanks.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:00 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

This year, the no-school issue is at epic proportions because Ateres Tziporah closed a couple of weeks before school started. The majority of girls currently without schools are AT girls.
Some families have gotten a slot for one daughter but not for their other(s) because the schools just don't have enough space in most grades... Sad

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:03 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
This year, the no-school issue is at epic proportions because Ateres Tziporah closed a couple of weeks before school started. The majority of girls currently without schools are AT girls.
Some families have gotten a slot for one daughter but not for their other(s) because the schools just don't have enough space in most grades... Sad

But by of ocean county has tons of slots.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries