Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Keep him in a playgroup?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 6:06 pm
I have a son turning 2 the end of this December. I'm very happy with his playgroup this year and because he's so young I was given the option to keep him there for next year (where he'll be the oldest). Most kids here are out of home playgroups by 3. I feel like there are so many benefits to being a small playgroup with a warm Morah than an official "school". Is a classroom setting important before UPK? I wish I can wait a year to send him to UPK but then he won't be the right age and the schools won't take him...

Any 4 year old Morahs here that can weigh in? Do you notice significant differences based on where your students were the year before?

Anyone else have experience with this?

bsy

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 6:30 pm
Some schools only start in kindergarten and many kids come from play groups. Last year my daughter had 2 kids repeating playgroup instead of nursery and went straight to kindergarten

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 6:36 pm
I think that our children, especially the boys, have so many years of big institution ahead of them that I try to keep them in small playgroups and small day camps as long as I can.

So I would say let him repeat the playgroup.

SingALong

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 6:42 pm
Are there no 3yr old playgroup morahs where you live? When my done turned 2 in he winter he went to a Morah that catered to that age. He following year he went to a different Morah that started to kids the year older. I think had I kept him with younger kids he would’ve been bored. They were still napping and in pampers, he was trained and got a haircut.

Stars

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 6:59 pm
My son got extremely bored when I kept him in playgroup an extra 2-3 months. You have to know you child. Is he a bright kid who loves learning? Mine hated toys and loved books and cd's. Or is your kid more of a relaxed type who can spend hours building with magnatiles?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:11 pm
I'm a 2yr old morah, I think that 3 yr old playgroup do so much more than 2's. The difference of one yr is such a big jump from 2 to 3. (More than from 3 to 4!)
Like another poster mentionned diapers and nap time for one, expressive language is so much more advanced in 3yrs old, arts and crafts are more elaborate(fine motor skills!)...and so much more!!
Can you find another playgroup that caters to 3yr olds instead of putting him in school? Then you have the option of sending to 4yr old group or repeating 3yr old if you find he needs it next year!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:14 pm
SingALong wrote:
Are there no 3yr old playgroup morahs where you live? When my done turned 2 in he winter he went to a Morah that catered to that age. He following year he went to a different Morah that started to kids the year older. I think had I kept him with younger kids he would’ve been bored. They were still napping and in pampers, he was trained and got a haircut.

Going to do some research and see if I can find any. A bunch of places closed in the past few years.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:18 pm
Stars wrote:
My son got extremely bored when I kept him in playgroup an extra 2-3 months. You have to know you child. Is he a bright kid who loves learning? Mine hated toys and loved books and cd's. Or is your kid more of a relaxed type who can spend hours building with magnatiles?

So hard to know if he's going to be bored!! He loves the social aspect so I dont think he'll actually be bored day to day (then again he's the youngest not oldest now) but he is very bright and will only get smarter with age iyH. I guess he'll probably need more stimulation though then where he is now...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 7:21 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I'm a 2yr old morah, I think that 3 yr old playgroup do so much more than 2's. The difference of one yr is such a big jump from 2 to 3. (More than from 3 to 4!)
Like another poster mentionned diapers and nap time for one, expressive language is so much more advanced in 3yrs old, arts and crafts are more elaborate(fine motor skills!)...and so much more!!
Can you find another playgroup that caters to 3yr olds instead of putting him in school? Then you have the option of sending to 4yr old group or repeating 3yr old if you find he needs it next year!

Lets say it's an older 2s group? Do you think that makes a difference? Or he'll just be lacking skills in some areas if he "skips" 3s?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 9:24 am
Who else will he be with? Are there any other children his age and will they be continuing with him?
I think it depends a lot on the other children as well-if they're all his age, they'll be doing the same things and be on similar levels. If he's going to be a whole year older than the other children I would be very hesitant to continue.
I have mine in a small private daycare where she's the oldest. I'm going to move her now because all the other children are much younger. She's also the type to need lots of stimulation etc. My other dd I only moved her later as all the other kids with her were her age and the teachers were planning for that age.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 9:36 am
I don't have a boy, but from what I understand when a boy turns 3 he is expected to start cheder. Is that not the case where you live?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics