Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady putting laundry in drawers

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 11:26 pm
I just got more cleaning help and I’m debating having her put the laundry away. Right now after it comes out of the dryer I immediately sort it one basket per child. She folds it and I put it away. I don’t like putting it away. It would be amazing if that chore was done for me. The thing is Im imagining lots of mistakes like pjs ending up in the shirt drawer etc making it more trouble then it’s worth. Thoughts?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 11:28 pm
It's worth trying out. Show her how to match up the PJ sets and see how it goes.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 11:40 pm
My cleaning lady of 6 years has been putting away the laundry for years, and she still mixes things up sometimes. I have kids with similar sizes, my teen dd is almost my size
But for the most part she gets it right. Only once in awhile do things need to be searched for. Still worth it. I say go for it, just show her where Things go the first couple of weeks

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 11:58 pm
I’ve had a few babysitters and cleaning ladies who could not figure this task out for me. But you could try.

banana123

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:24 am
Can you get your kids to put away their own piles?

heidi

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:31 am
Part of the reason I have a housekeeper is exactly for this reason. I don't mind doing laundry, I hate folding and putting away.
There are always mistakes. But I would much rather spend a few minutes switching things around than tackling the whole task alone.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:48 am
I've never actually done this, but I had an idea of taking photos of the drawers with the stuff in them (would be a but hard with piles of shirts but I am sure there is a way to adapt) and sticking them in the bottom of the drawer to show what goes in it. Not foolproof but I reckon it would help .

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:49 am
banana123 wrote:

This is what we do. The cleaning lady makes the stupidest mistakes all the time. She puts my long skirts on the short skirt side on my closet, so they sit on the floor. Workout tops go in the workout bottoms drawer. It's frustrating.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 7:12 am
I try to show her the sizes
Big girl wears size 12
Little girl size 8
Big boy and little boy are 7 years apart so it’s hard to mix up their clothing

But... mix ups happen.. socks, shells- even my girls white Rosh Chodesh shirts have ended up in the boys closet!
I figure it takes me less time to fix the mistake then it would to put everything away myself.

Also if you are training her where things go... start slowly. For example tell her, “Maria, today I would like you to put away girls clothing in drawers “. Then show her the drawers. It might be easier if the first 2-3 times she only does the same few drawers.

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 7:26 am
banana123 wrote:

This was my job as a kid. Everything will be folded on the couch and we had to take our pile up

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 7:32 am
I knew a women that color coded every piece of clothing. Each child would have a different color puff paint and everything would get a small stripe including socks. When she passed down clothing she put the new color over the old one.
She had a lot of children close in age and lots of cleaning help and this system worked for her.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 7:51 am
Take pictures with her cell phone.
This is definitely something I give my cleaning help to do.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 8:06 am
https://label-land.com/

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 10:05 am
I already sort it per kid as if comes out of the dryer so no mistakes possible there. My issue is the wrong things in the wrong place. Im not sure what will take me more time to just put the folded stuff away myself in the right place or have her do it but then fix the mistakes - which will surely happen at annoying times!

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 10:10 am
nanny: I'm not sure where things go. Me: Its not particularly well organized - make a good system for us, and we'll use it.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 10:16 am
My cleaning Lady would put everything in the wrong places, I always had to rearrange. And I got lazy to rearrange and the closets were one big mess. No matter how many times I showed her it was never done right. So I just tell her to put everything. On the beds and I put it away myself.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 11:05 am
I'd be happy if my cleaning help can divide the laundry properly. Try sorting laundry that's already folded and the labels are hard to see.

At this point, I have some more time, so I just fold the laundry myself. I put them in the correct piles as I'm folding. As for putting away.... that's another story! I would love to implement a system where the kids come and get their piles and put it away on their own. Didn't happen yet as I usually fold laundry late at night.

I'm sure if I'd have less time I'd let her fold and just deal with the mess later. I have this paranoia about cleaning help being comfortable opening bedroom drawers. So even if she'd fold I wouldn't have her put it away.

If you're looking for a way how to have her sort the kids clothing by proper age, someone I know used a dot system. Oldest one's clothes has 1 dot (marker for light color clothing, white out for dark color clothing). Second has 2 dots and so on.
The good part about this system is when you hand it down you just add another dot.
Now if only I'd take my own advice and do a dot system...

kollel wife

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:24 pm
I did this when I had a lot of small kids, but I didn't have the cleaning put away all of the laundry, just a lot of it.

She learned that socks, tights, certain things were just too hard to know which was which, so she left that for me. Also a few boys ages (close in age) were able to wear the same sizes mostly. Towels, shmattas, cloth diapers are easy.

But if you figure out what she could learn, and what's too hard. Maybe she won't put away all, but most.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry