Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Disturbed by this incident in school-WWYD?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:27 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Sorry, Op. This situation sounds like it was handled 100% correctly by the nurse and the teacher. It may feel uncomfortable to you but they did the right thing for your daughter and for her class. If your daughter has eczema that is bothering her so much in school maybe moisturize her in the morning and have the nurse help her moisturize midday as well. She must be uncomfortable.
And mollescum is definitely contagious and needs to be covered for the rest of the kids in the class. Hatzlacha healing your daughter’s eczema.

With all due respect, an experienced and competent dermatologist signed a note stating it is not contagious.
You and other posters here are not more knowledgeable than him.
And she doesn’t scratch all day, only occasionally.
If she would have been that uncomfortable, the teacher would have noticed her scratching a long time ago.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:36 pm
Molluscum is definitely contagious . But kiss are typically not expected to stay home with it because it can last year's.
I think you are overreacting . If this was a 15 year old I would get upset. To check a preschool age kid who is itching is totally normal

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:37 pm
The risks of checking are low, so it's not comparable to antibiotics.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s not a trigger.
I bh do not have a history of abuse or molestation.
I believe it was inappropriate, and I’ve told the nurse so.
Thanks for your concern!

But what exactly do you believe was inappropriate? You were told she did NOT do an exam. Was it inappropriate of her to follow the school policy in requiring a note from the doctor?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:46 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
A doctor or nurse is required by law to have the parent in the room during a physical exam of a private area. This is what a PA told me yesterday when she checked my daughters privates during a physical exam. She said she can only check while a parent is in the room by law
So, I’m assuming the nurse should’ve had you there during the private area check

But again, the nurse said she didn’t do an exam, and for whatever reason, the OP doesn’t believe that to be true.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:49 pm
It’s called Molluscum Contagiosum. It’s is contagious and scratching can spread the disease. It sounds like OP is a little embarrassed that the school found out about the molluscum. But as others said, it’s common and kids usually do not stay home from school with it.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:50 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
But again, the nurse said she didn’t do an exam, and for whatever reason, the OP doesn’t believe that to be true.

OP is determined that she is 100% right, and nobody is going to convince her otherwise.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 2:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
With all due respect, an experienced and competent dermatologist signed a note stating it is not contagious.
If she would have been that uncomfortable, the teacher would have noticed her scratching a long time ago.

With all due respect to your dermatologist, it’s own name states that it is contagious! I’m not sure how or why any doctor would claim otherwise.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:02 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
It’s called Molluscum Contagiosum. It’s is contagious and scratching can spread the disease. It sounds like OP is a little embarrassed that the school found out about the molluscum. But as others said, it’s common and kids usually do not stay home from school with it.

There’s nothing embarrassing about molluscum.
And for the last time the doctor said it’s not contagious.
Thanks for your opinion though.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:02 pm
I get OP.

I don't know why everyone is attacking her. I would not want a nurse to remove my child's underwear without consent. And she's saying she doesn't believe the nurse bec the only way to see the rash was by removing her underwear.

OP I think the only thing you can do now, is tell them for the future to please call you first before they check out your child's private parts.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:04 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I get OP.

I don't know why everyone is attacking her. I would not want a nurse to remove my child's underwear without consent. And she's saying she doesn't believe the nurse bec the only way to see the rash was by removing her underwear.

OP I think the only thing you can do now, is tell them for the future to please call you first before they check out your child's private parts.

Thanks for the validation.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:06 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I get OP.

Nobody said anything about removing underwear. The rash was clearly visible at the pantyline, on her upper thigh aread, as per OP's own description.

OP seem to think that a full strip search was going on, and there's no proof that that's what happened. She's probably made it a big deal to her poor DD, when the kid was happy and had moved on from the incident.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There’s nothing embarrassing about molluscum.
And for the last time the doctor said it’s not contagious.
Thanks for your opinion though.

It’s contagious if the kid is scratching and it’s open! I work in Lakewood public schools and our policy is that if molluscum is open then it must be covered with a bandage.
Seriously OP, ur kid is scratching her private parts during school- any teacher would’ve sent her to the nurse.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:10 pm
I commend the teacher and nurse for their actions. It's comforting to know that they look out for the health and safety of all students and teachers, even if it means inconveniencing one parent.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Should I escalate the complaint, or am I making too big of a deal out of this?
TIA

amother [ OP ] wrote:
I may take your advice and speak to the nurse’s supervisor.

Sounds like you already planned to make a stink but started this thread to justify it.

In that case, why stop at the supervisor? Call the Board of Nursing and Board of Education. Heck, call the governor and have this dangerous program shut down.

I agree with the poster that said you may be embarrassed about the contagious rash (doctor's wrong here, he should also be shut down while we're at it). Making a stink will only spread the info and make all the teachers hesitate before helping your DD.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:15 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I commend the teacher and nurse for their actions. It's comforting to know that they look out for the health and safety of all students and teachers, even if it means inconveniencing one parent.

Sounds like you already planned to make a stink but started this thread to justify it.

In that case, why stop at the supervisor? Call the Board of Nursing and Board of Education. Heck, call the governor and have this dangerous program shut down.

I agree with the poster that said you may be embarrassed about the contagious rash (doctor's wrong here, he should also be shut down while we're at it). Making a stink will only spread the info and make all the teachers hesitate before helping your DD.

It sounds like the mollescum is confined to her upper thigh, and is covered at all times by her tights, so it would be deemed safe.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:15 pm
Teachers and nurses are also mandatory reporters. If they think something is wrong down there, they have to have a doctor investigate it.

I've heard horror stories about very young children coming down with STDs, and if the illness hadn't been discovered the abuse could have gone on for years. Crying

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:31 pm
Sorry , Op but it’s pretty basic that mollescum is contagious. No MD required. If it’s covered there is no reason why your daughter shouldn’t be in school as it takes a very long time to go away. Honestly you would be helping your daughter by diverting your energies into helping heal her eczema as it must be quite uncomfortable for her to have. Much hatzlacha to you for figuring this out.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 3:34 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
It sounds like the mollescum is confined to her upper thigh, and is covered at all times by her tights, so it would be deemed safe.

Safe for her to go to school with is not the same thing as not contagious.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:04 pm
FTR I think OP u should not dwell on this if your daughter is fine, just let them know your stance.

I just dont even like the idea that a child should be examined at school (if that's what happened)
And giving what used to be parental authority to the ever expanding medical system.
When I was in elementary school in the 90s I dont even remember there being a school nurse. There is a balance and they r certainly good for some thing. But mostly now schools need medical staff to dole out meds that half the kids are on. And to deal with allergies because so many more kids are experiencing immune dysfunction.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OP, you said you have a signed note that its not contagious & using that to validate your arguments, and yet in the same breath you're complaining about the nurse asking you to get that signed note from the doctor.

And if a kid has any medical condition, be it eczema or anything that may set off any warning bells in classroom, it is your duty and responsibility to let the teacher or school nurse know. It doesn't matter if it hardly flares up, but if it flares up anytime during school & your daughter shows symptoms that can be related to anything worrisome, it is incumbent upon the school nurse & teacher to have it looked into.

OP, I'm going to be harsh here (on the account of protecting all of our kids). It sounds like you wanted to hide your daughter's eczema & molluscum and what's bothering you now is that you didn't get away with it. And now you're looking to cast blame. All you needed to do was get a doctors note at the beginning of the year and give it to the school nurse. Failure to do that, is on you.

I'm personally cheering on the school nurse & teachers for doing what's right - protecting all of our kids. The large majority disagrees with you here, & that is very telling.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics