Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Desperate for a boys hs, please read
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:27 pm
My ds is in Shaarei Arazim now and it’s not a good fit for him. From him being there he knows what he wants or rather doesn’t want. He wants/needs a place where they’re not so strict on the dress code. We’re not yeshivish, but don’t want too modern. Light on academics and help when needed. He has comprehension issues and is not up to par. If possible, not such a long day and sports is a plus, but not a must. I prefer the east coast and a dorm. They have to be supportive because he really needs that. If I can think of more, I’ll add it. I don’t expect to get the perfect school, but is there any out there that’s almost perfect for him. He’s so unhappy! TIA

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:38 pm
Would Waterbury or Englewood work for him? It may be hard to get into any place in the middle of the year. I would suggest calling Rabbi Binyamin Strauss in Lakewood for advice.

nicole81

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:40 pm
MTA/Ptach?

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:53 pm
Darchei in Far Rockaway has a fantastic vocational high school program. Not sure if there is a dorm though

amother
White

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:56 pm
MTA's Ptach program sounds perfect, but that may depend on what you mean by "not too modern". Its worth a phone call to them either way.

esuss

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 7:33 pm
Englewood

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 8:46 pm
What about Breuer's in Washington Heights?

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 8:56 pm
Yam HaTorah in Bayswater might be a good fit.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 8:59 pm
Rabbi Szendro in Baltimore? Would likely need to board. https://www.toraschaim.org/about

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 9:42 pm
Two of my nephews were in Degel Torah. Not sure if that’s too frum or academic bit they loved it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:00 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Would Waterbury or Englewood work for him? It may be hard to get into any place in the middle of the year. I would suggest calling Rabbi Binyamin Strauss in Lakewood for advice.

What school is in Englewood?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:01 am
nicole81 wrote:
MTA/Ptach?

I checked it online and they are soooo expensive!! Do you know if they’re good with financial aid? If not, there’s no point in even finding out more information.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:06 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
What about Breuer's in Washington Heights?

It looks like a very yeshivish yeshiva. Is there anything about it that looks like it might be a good fit?

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I checked it online and they are soooo expensive!! Do you know if they’re good with financial aid? If not, there’s no point in even finding out more information.

I would also them point blank. They're very forthright there, and will tell you this, and whether they think it's a fit.

I don't know a lot about the other schools suggested, but this program has an organized, very real program specifically designed for learning issues. If you were planning on using tutoring along with any other school, you might be able to factor that money into this tuition.

esuss

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What school is in Englewood?

Yeshiva ohr Simcha of englewood. They have a website.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:43 am
Thank you very much everyone and I will be looking into them.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:13 pm
Would Waterbury or Englewood work for him?

OP I hope you don't mind if I semi-hijack to ask the women who mentioned Englewood a question.. I was wondering if it could be good for my son for next year for 9th grade and so far haven't found updated info about it. Our cousin went there but it was a number of years ago.

My main first question is about the type of boys who go there now. I am very familiar with Waterbury and am looking for something different. A place that is like Waterbury in that the rebbeim are super positive and warm, with a culture of boys treating each other kindly, but without the exposure he would get in Waterbury that he doesn't need. He is BH a wholesome boy, he doesn't have a problem dressing yeshivish, and he doesn't even have ADHD or any LD's (he's been tested) but he is behind in gemara and can't stand immature nastiness (his class is known for being extremely immature and there is a lot of negativity/ borderline bullying). There are a couple of boys with good middos in his class, who are also top learners and solidly yeshivish, and he wants to be like them. The problem is they will probably go to Riverdale, Long Beach, Philly or Slanger's, and my son's learning is not on the level for any of those places, and they would not accept him anyway (for sure not the first three-- not even close). But my point is that that is the type of boy that he wants to go to mesivta with Sad. I also want him to have rebbeim, who in addition to being warm, have the skills to help him catch up in his gemara skills, and are focused on doing that. (Not just being accepting as in, it's fine if you can't learn/aren't so into learning-- you are still a worthy human being and a valuable member of klal yisrael, so we are not going to emphasize gemara too much--not knocking this for boys who need this approach! My son is smart-- and loves science because he had a great science teacher a few years ago, and he feels bad about his lack of gemara skills. But he got very turned off to learning because of a terrible experience with a rebbe in 6th grade, and it took a while just to help him get over it and get back on track with school in general. Now he is in a much better place over all BH but he is still behind in gemara. He is great at following shakla v'tarya etc. in English "outside", but his Hebrew and Aramaic teitching is weak.) He would also appreciate if the secular studies were decent, especially science. He is also good at sports-- he doesn't require a sports program but some time to play football/basketball and get some healthy exercise would be great! Smile

So I was wondering if Englewood might fit the description. Another place that's been suggested is Mekor HaTorah in Lakewood. Any current info would be really appreciated!

And hatzlacha OP-- this is so hard Sad I've been through this a lot with a couple of my other children. If you want me to start a new thread please let me know. And if you think Waterbury might be good for your son you are welcome to PM for more info/questions. I was going to go anon for this but will post under my screen name just in case you want to be in touch. Hug

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:59 pm
Odelyah - I have a DS who sounds like your DS in many ways, and one of the places we looked into and heard great things about is Ohr Naftoli in New Windsor. I'd suggest looking into it for your DS.

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 3:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They do give financial aid, and you might be able to fight your local school district for reimbursement. If you're in NYC, it's not a difficult process. Not sure about elsewhere though.

I have a dd in Central Ptach (YUHSG) so feel free to pm me for more specific information.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:56 pm
Odelyah - I have a DS who sounds like your DS in many ways, and one of the places we looked into and heard great things about is Ohr Naftoli in New Windsor. I'd suggest looking into it for your DS.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the suggestion!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics