Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Nutritionist for 10 year old boy with adhd

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 3:34 pm
Our doctor has told us that carbs (not gluten, but carbs in general) are very bad for my son With adhd. But I have tried over the years and he is resistant. I need help with meal and snack ideas that he won’t fight me on and try to argue and trade etc. I tried someone a year ago that just wanted him off gluten, which is not the issue. I need someone work with us. Located near Lakewood but willing to do phone or Skype sessions. Thanks!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 3:48 pm
I'm in this (nutrition) field and Im not sure that I agree with that, that all carbs are bad. I definitely think that gluten isn't good, but he needs his fill of healthy carbs. Im assuming here that his general diet and lifestyle habits need to be cleaned up, and possibly some targeted supplements would help.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 4:09 pm
I don't know if they specifically deal with ADHD but Dina Cohen and Aliza Abish both specialize in pediatrics. You may want to look into them.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 4:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Our doctor has told us that carbs (not gluten, but carbs in general) are very bad for my son With adhd. But I have tried over the years and he is resistant. I need help with meal and snack ideas that he won’t fight me on and try to argue and trade etc. I tried someone a year ago that just wanted him off gluten, which is not the issue. I need someone work with us. Located near Lakewood but willing to do phone or Skype sessions. Thanks!
I think parents in the trenches will have more to offer you than a nutritionist. Is it a specific program or diet you're following? There may be a fb page for moms like you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:54 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I think parents in the trenches will have more to offer you than a nutritionist. Is it a specific program or diet you're following? There may be a fb page for moms like you.

Not a specific anything yet. Doctor wants him off carbs to see if it works as a non medicinal approach

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 9:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not a specific anything yet. Doctor wants him off carbs to see if it works as a non medicinal approach
So cool, I'm totally a fan of that, cool that a dr is wanting to try non-med approaches and even cooler that he thinks diet will make a difference. Very progressive. What I'm saying is that you said you were looking for food ideas and behavioral tips on how to best make this work for your child, and all I'm saying is that I think other moms who have kids your kids age on low carb diets may know more about that than a nutritionist. Just my 2 cents.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)