Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
ALL the things I should know about doing the sleeve
Previous  1  2

Cheiny

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 5:56 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I did the gastric bypass / RNY about six months ago. I lost 94 lbs so far and need to lose 40 more lbs to get to my goal weight. It’s a much bigger (more effective) surgery but in terms of recovery it’s pretty much the same. I got discharged from the hospital a day after surgery and was back that night for excessive vomiting. Needed 3 days on IV before even getting down ice chips. It is NOT a cure, it is a tool. You still need to be disciplined otherwise it won’t work. If you are committed to changing your lifestyle, you will see results. I work out twice a day (morning and night) I won’t go to sleep unless I’ve worked out. I’m very careful with what I eat and I see a nutritionist once a week. I am worried about pregnancy but with my excess weight I couldn’t even GET pregnant. At this point, I’m thrilled that I did it.

So happy for you!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 7:04 pm
https://lindabacon.org/health-.....oads/

Read some of her stuff. I think its important to read even if you don't change your mind about the actual surgery.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 7:53 pm
Cheiny wrote:
If he was doing all the above BEFORE he did the sleeve, he wouldn’t have needed the sleeve!

But the sleeve helps him stick with it. There's a reason why this surgery was invented.

happyone

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 8:25 pm
game changer for most I know that didn it as long as they recognize it's a tool and not a cure!

nicole81

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 8:54 pm
Cheiny wrote:
If he was doing all the above BEFORE he did the sleeve, he wouldn’t have needed the sleeve!

This is one of the reasons people should stick to the bariatric forum; it's pure ignorance.

Stomachs stretch over a lifetime of overeating, and don't go back. If you have a stomach that has tripled or quadrupled in size, if you keep to a low calorie diet, even of all the "right" foods, you will be perpetually hungry due to the unfilled space in your stomach and the fat cells natural mechanism of trying to expand. If you've ever been super hungry, just imagine going years and years like that; it's pure torture.

After the surgery, with 75% of your stomach removed, you can now eat that same lower calorie diet but the stomach will be full instead of perpetually empty. Additionally, the severe caloric restriction in the first few weeks and months allows the fat cells to shrink drastically in a way that could never be accomplished without ongoing starvation or a "Biggest Loser" type of lifestyle-- which no one who has a job, kids, or a desire to keep their mental stability in tact would, or should, undertake when surgery is a viable option.

One other consideration is that after years of attempted dieting, many people have trashed their metabolism. I haven't looked into the science behind it, but for some reason the drastic shift after bariatric surgery often jumpstarts metabolism.

Someone asked about a forum for band patients... FYI there are some banders in Kosher Sleevers on fb.

I'm one of those people who could and would gladly eat a 1200 calorie diet filled with protein, veggies, and complex carbs, and still suffer from perpetual hunger. Worse for me was that even with that hunger, sometimes for years on end, my metabolism was so shot that I could never get below around 200 lbs no matter how low I went with calories or how active I was. And the type of lifestyle I had to live just to maintain 200 lbs was completely untenable that I usually couldn't stick to it for more than a year and regained... thus perpetuating the cycle and further depleting my metabolic rate I reached a point where I had enough. I did the surgery over 5 years ago, lost 130+ pounds, and have maintained. I've also had 2 babies since. And I haven't ever felt the torturous hunger that I would put myself through in the past just to maintain a 50-pound weight loss.

Anyone with questions can feel free to PM me here or on fb. I'm happy to talk to anyone interested in the surgery, but I'm not going to respond to any further ignorant comments.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 9:43 pm
nicole81 wrote:
This is one of the reasons people should stick to the bariatric forum; it's pure ignorance.

Most of the time, the people making comments like the one you quoted have absolutely no idea what it's like to battle a lifetime of obesity.

MOST of the time.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise