Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Wow....Boruch Shelo Asani....
1  2  Next

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 11:45 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost......html

just this summer a very sick baby , 2 million was raised in a week

A Lakewood lady that lost 10k raised it in 2 days

There are countless people on this website that are helped

Whenever we get angry at the flaws in our community

Read this article...

Einikel

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 11:58 pm
So sad. Hope they find way to help the baby. And yes, mi kiamcha yisroel

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:13 am
Thank you for posting! Mi kamcha yisroel!!!
I hope the parents are able to raise the money soon.

tilot37354

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:21 am
I'm not putting down the chesed in our circles, which is incredible, but to be fair, non jews aren't monsters. This was one animal, and there was an outcry that came to this families support. This family actually did hit their fundraising target. Non Jews have a tzelem elokim too, which to my understanding to a degree means that we humans are endowed with illogical anti Darwin altruistic tendencies and desires to help and alleviate the plight of those in need and suffering. Go to GoFundMe and browse their campaigns... There's plenty of money being raised. (Hope I'm not being over lo sechanem.)

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:52 am
Im not sure what your point is OP. Jews and non Jews alike help those that need help. Helping others monetarily is not only the Jewish way.

momaleh

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:10 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im not sure what your point is OP. Jews and non Jews alike help those that need help. Helping others monetarily is not only the Jewish way.

There is a marked difference.

Of course there are plenty of non-Jews who are compassionate, wonderful people and give lot of charity. But the Jewish commitment is different.

I took a course on the fundamentals of fundraising in a top University for my Masters program. I was SHOCKED at the attitude of the people in the class. This was a diverse group of highly educated people. Very few admitted to giving any sort of charity, and if they did, it was a small amount. It was clearly not a "given" that you help others financially. My eyes just bugged out as I thought to myself, "I give 10%, because it says that in the torah, and everyone else I know does that, too." I did not announce this in the class because it didn't need to become a religious discussion or an argument.

Yes, feel proud that you are Jewish and this is our way of life.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:26 am
Great article, but I was very turned off by the thread title.

Can't we celebrate a kiddush HaShem without denigrating non-Jews?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:46 am
momaleh wrote:
There is a marked difference.

Of course there are plenty of non-Jews who are compassionate, wonderful people and give lot of charity. But the Jewish commitment is different.

I took a course on the fundamentals of fundraising in a top University for my Masters program. I was SHOCKED at the attitude of the people in the class. This was a diverse group of highly educated people. Very few admitted to giving any sort of charity, and if they did, it was a small amount. It was clearly not a "given" that you help others financially. My eyes just bugged out as I thought to myself, "I give 10%, because it says that in the torah, and everyone else I know does that, too." I did not announce this in the class because it didn't need to become a religious discussion or an argument.

Yes, feel proud that you are Jewish and this is our way of life.
So its going to be different BECAUSE its a commandment for jews. Thats all. God people in this world help others, full stop.

I hate how on this site, in order to lift up the jews, people feel like they have to put down non jews. Nope nope nope. Not how it should be at all.

momaleh

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 3:01 am
Not sure why this gives you a beef....I'm not putting anyone down, but I AM saying that because we have the Torah, we have a commitment to being better people. Obviously it's because of the Torah, why else would we be different or Jews? Would you prefer to say we're just stam better people because of racial profiling? That would be way more denigrating to non-Jews, and that's obviously not the case.
Yes, living the Torah makes us better people. That doesn't mean non-Jews can't also do good things or be good people, but if we follow the Torah, we will live better lives. Why does that bother you?

slushiemom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:04 am
I don't think pointing out something that the Jewish community excels at is putting down non-Jews. It's something to be very proud of, and while I'm sure there are other tight knit communities built around a shared religion and shared values who also help their own to a commendable degree, we feel it strongly in our community, bc, well- that's where we operate.

I'm grateful to have been born into this religion and I don't think it's "anti-non-Jews" to say so.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:39 am
OP, thanks for sharing the article!

[Personal attack removed] how to phrase berachos than the tzaddikim that composed the words "Shelo Asani [non jew]." Since you feel so strongly about it, I hope you skip that beracha every morning. Otherwise that's just hypocritical. (Incidentally, are these the same posters that wanted to revamp Megillas Esther last February?)

I proudly sing "Shelo Asani [non jew]" every morning in the car on the top of my lungs. Yes, I'm proud to be a Yid. I'm proud to be different than them. (You heard right...them. Non-Jews. People that will turn around and stab you in the back no matter how much you kiss up and try to blend in.) Most importantly, I hope my children grow up with that same pride, and they don't feel the need to find rabbis that condone certain clothing and behaviors in order to fit in with the non-Jews around us.

ETA: Despite the autocorrect feature on this site I do not say Shelo Asani Gentile. I don't profess to know better than the rabbanim that wrote Shelo Asani G.O.Y.

simcha2

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:06 am
groisamomma wrote:
OP, thanks for sharing the article. how to phrase berachos than the tzaddikim that composed the words "Shelo Asani [non jew]." Since you feel so strongly about it, I hope you skip that beracha every morning. Otherwise that's just hypocritical. (Incidentally, are these the same posters that wanted to revamp Megillas Esther last February?)

I proudly sing "Shelo Asani [non jew]" every morning in the car on the top of my lungs. Yes, I'm proud to be a Yid. I'm proud to be different than them. (You heard right...them. Non-Jews. People that will turn around and stab you in the back no matter how much you kiss up and try to blend in.) Most importantly, I hope my children grow up with that same pride, and they don't feel the need to find rabbis that condone certain clothing and behaviors in order to fit in with the non-Jews around us.

ETA: Despite the autocorrect feature on this site I do not say Shelo Asani Gentile. I don't profess to know better than the rabbanim that wrote Shelo Asani G.O.Y.

You may want to ask a sheila about this. The halacha is that you are not allowed to be doing anything else while reciting the brachot.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:13 am
tilot37354 wrote:
I'm not putting down the chesed in our circles, which is incredible, but to be fair, non jews aren't monsters. This was one animal, and there was an outcry that came to this families support. This family actually did hit their fundraising target. Non Jews have a tzelem elokim too, which to my understanding to a degree means that we humans are endowed with illogical anti Darwin altruistic tendencies and desires to help and alleviate the plight of those in need and suffering. Go to GoFundMe and browse their campaigns... There's plenty of money being raised. (Hope I'm not being over lo sechanem.)

What I thought tzelem Elokim means is that we have a point that gravitates to chesed, just as Hashem is fully chesed. I don't talk Darwin in discussing the human psyche.

leah233

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:40 am
I used to wonder how in ancient Sparta they would kill babies born with deformities. I thought they were an historical aberration and clearly evil people.

Today with the increasing support for very late-term abortion and even infanticide among the more liberal Americans (eg. Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam) I understand what their mindset was.

It is almost identical to the mindset of the more liberal Americans today.

When Virginia Gov. Northam was asked for a specific reason that justifies committing this sort of murder he gave the exact same justification as ancient Sparta:

“Severe Deformities”

Even so on the outside these people still come/came across as very nice people who feel/felt very strongly about the morals they have/had that don't/didn't inconvenience themselves.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:47 am
DrMom wrote:
Great article, but I was very turned off by the thread title.

Can't we celebrate a kiddush HaShem without denigrating non-Jews?

This. And also what Shabbatiscoming said. It’s not a mitzvah to put down an entire class of people. Which is better: to say “I’m so glad to be me” or “So glad I’m not you”?

soap suds

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:58 am
zaq wrote:
This. And also what Shabbatiscoming said. It’s not a mitzvah to put down an entire class of people. Which is better: to say “I’m so glad to be me” or “So glad I’m not you”?

OP wasn't putting anyone down. All she said was how glad she is to be part of our wonderful community.
Is your issue with the thread title? Take that up with chazal!

simcha2

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:29 am
soap suds wrote:
OP wasn't putting anyone down. All she said was how glad she is to be part of our wonderful community.
Is your issue with the thread title? Take that up with chazal!

The bracha is to do with the number of mitzvos for which you are responsible, much like, שלא עשני אישה and should therefore lead to proper adherence of said mitzvos (including kavod habriut)

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:14 am
soap suds wrote:
OP wasn't putting anyone down. !

You think not? Then why didn’t she call it “Mi keamcha” like all other imas who have posted kiddush Hashem or chessed stories instead of “shelo asani”?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:21 am
I realize that we need to be very sensitive. And yeah, going forward you all can be sure that people will post mi keamcha instead of shelo asani.

But I hope that you all can say that bracha, and Aleinu (shelo asanu k'goyei ha'aratzos) with a full heart, and gratitude that we are so much closer, under the direct aegis of Hashem, vs. a sar, with the rich and pure spiritual DNA we have all been bequeathed.

ProudMommie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:28 am
groisamomma wrote:
OP, thanks for sharing the article!

[Personal attack removed] how to phrase berachos than the tzaddikim that composed the words "Shelo Asani [non jew]." Since you feel so strongly about it, I hope you skip that beracha every morning. Otherwise that's just hypocritical. (Incidentally, are these the same posters that wanted to revamp Megillas Esther last February?)

thank you for saying the truth...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics