Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Repeated Strep- what should we do?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:04 am
Start with ENT? Infectious diseases? What should we be ruling out first?
Thanks!

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:08 am
I’m dealing with the same right now. DD was home again from school today with strep - for the third time since sukkos! My doctor mentioned that maybe we should look into removing her tonsils. I’m not rushing to do that just yet.... (did it with a different child for a different reason and was NOT fun) but if we deal with constant strep for much longer that may be an option we will explore.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:16 am
Get everyone new toothbrushes.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:51 am
Probiotics

kakky

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:54 am
we went thru this, and some of the kids caught it from one another. now it is much better but still some kids are more susceptible than others.

do a strep test when your kid is healthy to make sure it is really gone?

maybe your kid is exposed to a carrier of strep, ask to have him switch seats in school.

is he sick once a month, maybe its PFAPA, ask your doctor?

good luck.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 3:47 am
This is going to be controversial, but speaking as a nurse I have seen it work in a number of cases of repeat infections.

Stop giving antibiotics. Keep in close touch with your doctor if anything unusual happens. Let the disease work it's way through his system. Give his immune system a chance to react and develop his own immunity. Give something for pain/fever as necessary. It's scary, but I've seen this help so many times.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 3:50 am
I had that with my son; was just ridiculous.
it lead from one thing to another & we had no choice but to change his diet.
no dairy, gluten free (as much as possible), & reduced meat/chicken products. & try to give him fruits/veg.
he hasnt been on antibiotics for 2 years now, yay!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:38 am
Tonsils out ASAP. It's the only thing that worked for us, as DD and I kept passing it back and forth to each other, and she kept bringing it home from school.

Once the tonsils came out, neither of us ever got strep again.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:41 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Probiotics

Yes, things of that nature. Many years ago (about 25) when I had the same situation (frequent strep and ear infections) I went to the original Mrs Zahler who recommended a few things and I had a different child.

thanks

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:50 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
This is going to be controversial, but speaking as a nurse I have seen it work in a number of cases of repeat infections.

Stop giving antibiotics. Keep in close touch with your doctor if anything unusual happens. Let the disease work it's way through his system. Give his immune system a chance to react and develop his own immunity. Give something for pain/fever as necessary. It's scary, but I've seen this help so many times.

This worked for me with repeated ear infections. I stopped giving antibiotics, and it was the last ear infection my son ever had.

It's actually scientific. If the body fights the bacteria, the results are a proper balance of good and bad bacteria. (it's the good bacteria that keeps the bad bacteria away.)
Taking antibiotics, kills all the bacteria, good and bad. That's why, the strep can grow right back. Probiotics will help the good bacteria grow. This should be taken during and after taking antibiotics.

INSPIREME

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:10 am
Strep is an infection that can have dire consequences if not treated properly. For my son, we were on 5 antibiotics back to back to try to get it under control. The thing that worked was amoxil for 30 days. Also, make sure you are changing linens and toothbrushes.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:16 am
How many times a year does the child get strep? If this is chronic start with an ENT. If it's an infection that won't go away, go to an infectious disease doctor.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:24 am
Im not at all in the medical field, but I would not withhold antibiotics for strep. Ear infection is so different. I had this with one child. I think she caught strep in the double digits that year. You better believe we went to an ENT. We had tonsils and adenoids removed.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:31 am
We also treated for 30 days a while back which helped tremendously.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:43 am
I had strep repeated as a kid. I have a friend with rheumatic fever because her parents withheld antibiotics. Do not go that route if you wish to have a relationship with your children as adults.

Go to ENT. My tonsils had a strep infection in them and as soon as my tonsils were removed, I never got strep again.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:43 am
ectomorph wrote:
I had strep repeated as a kid. I have a friend with rheumatic fever because her parents withheld antibiotics. Do not go that route if you wish to have a relationship with your children as adults.

Go to ENT. My tonsils had a strep infection in them and as soon as my tonsils were removed, I never got strep again.

I developed rheumatic fever. Strep destroyed my heart. A nurse should know better than to withhold antibiotics. Dr told me that another strep could kill me.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:22 am
You can go to an ENT, and based on the amount of strep infections your child has had over the past x amount of months, they will either tell you yes to take out tonsils or not to. But they will not have any other advice for how to prevent recurrent strep.

Strep is dangerous if untreated, but antibiotics just make it more resistant. Use herbal antibiotics instead. Elderberry, astragulus, echinacea, goldenseal, cryptolepsis, alchornea, sida, bidens pilosa are what we use here.

Also, look at the terrain to figure out why the strep keeps coming back. Boost the immune system with vit a, c, and d, take care of any underlying infections, allergies or intolerances or other sources of toxins or inflammation that may be bogging down the immune system (mold, lyme, food allergies, ebv), cut out dairy, gluten and sugar to improve gut health and immune health, take down inflammation and help lymph drainage so that there isn't so much fluid sitting around for the strep bacteria to grow in, us blis k12 probiotics to crowd out pathogenic strep and replace with friendly strep bacteria.

monkeys

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:41 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

I don’t understand this. Untreated strep can cause rheumatic fever!!!!!!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:09 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

I would do this with ear infections. But strep in children can be really dangerous. My son got rheumatic fever from strep and it caused damage to his heart. If he c”v gets another strep there will be more heart damage. He will now be on Penicillin daily for at least 12 years . Please don’t play with Strep. I see what damage strep can do.

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:12 am
Dr Hadad in Manhattan is terrific! They take a lot of insurances. He was affiliated with a big hospital prior to going private. 212-600-9411
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics