Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Not PANDAS but strange behavior related to strep infection
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:12 am
My daughter doesn’t get fever or complain of sore throat etc. her behavior gets out of hand we know to test her- & usually it’s caused by strep... it’s crazy because by then it’s like after a week or so of kuku behavior.
HELP!
Anyone else kid like that?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter doesn’t get fever or complain of sore throat etc. her behavior gets ur of hand we know to test her- & usually it’s caused by strep... it’s crazy because by then it’s like after a week or so of kuku behavior.
HELP!
Anyone else kid like that?

My 5 yr old daughter since she is toilet trained has wet accidents when she has strept. I test her when she has an accident and its always strept (4x so far) she has no other symptoms

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:19 am
I had a student who would suddenly start behaving awfully (rude, unfocused, impulsive) and inevitably would be out the next day with a fever that they later found to be strep.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:32 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
My 5 yr old daughter since she is toilet trained has wet accidents when she has strept. I test her when she has an accident and its always strept (4x so far) she has no other symptoms

(So interesting. I took my daughter in 3 weeks ago because she was having weird accidents. Dr tested for strep - said it could be a sign. Test was negative. But it was positive 2 weeks later)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:39 am
Tonsils out ASAP. It's the only thing that worked for us, as DD and I kept passing it back and forth to each other, and she kept bringing it home from school.

Once the tonsils came out, neither of us ever got strep again.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:11 am
Any behavioral or neurological changes that happen in connjuction with any infections or immune activation technically fall under the pans/pandas umbrella.

It is extremely common for kids with pandas/pans to not have typical sick symptoms and just behavioral symptoms as signs of illness, because of the misdirected immune response. It's like all the antibodies go to their brains, instead of to their throats etc to cause swelling.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:11 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Any behavioral or neurological changes that happen in connjuction with any infections or immune activation technically fall under the pans/pandas umbrella.

It is extremely common for kids with pandas/pans to not have typical sick symptoms and just behavioral symptoms as signs of illness, because of the misdirected immune response. It's like all the antibodies go to their brains, instead of to their throats etc to cause swelling.

So does this get treated differently than a regular strep infection?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So does this get treated differently than a regular strep infection?
Does your child go back to baseline with regular strep treatment?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:19 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Does your child go back to baseline with regular strep treatment?

Pretty much

mlc

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:26 am
My niece is like that. Whenever her behavior gets out of hand , especially with outburst and aggression, they test and it’s strep. They treat with regular antibiotics and she gets back to herself.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:27 pm
I know this is an old thread but trying to get some advice, decided to try here first before creating a new thread.
My daughter had strep and these exact symptoms, just acting loopy and so out of control. shes been on antibiotics for 3 days and her behavior hasn't improved-does it take until the course of amoxicillin is done?

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:42 pm
Yes give it a week.
My son has this. We know he has strep when he becomes very aggressive and angry. No other symptoms. Usually after a week of antibiotics he's good.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:43 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
I know this is an old thread but trying to get some advice, decided to try here first before creating a new thread.
My daughter had strep and these exact symptoms, just acting loopy and so out of control. shes been on antibiotics for 3 days and her behavior hasn't improved-does it take until the course of amoxicillin is done?
If this is the first time this happened, I would ask for a 30 day course of augmentin or azithromycin. I would also give motrin and benadryl for 2 weeks around the clock.
If this has been happening for a while, I would look into deeper healing

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:48 pm
amother Blush wrote:
If this is the first time this happened, I would ask for a 30 day course of augmentin or azithromycin. I would also give motrin and benadryl for 2 weeks around the clock.
If this has been happening for a while, I would look into deeper healing

Yes this is the first time shes ever had strep, shes only 2. I'm not so knowledgeable about PANDAS but how is it diagnosed? could this be just a one time thing or happen occasionally when she gets strep throat but clear with just amoxicillin after we finish the entire course?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:50 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Yes this is the first time shes ever had strep, shes only 2. I'm not so knowledgeable about PANDAS but how is it diagnosed? could this be just a one time thing or happen occasionally when she gets strep throat but clear with just amoxicillin after we finish the entire course?
I would want stronger abx and a longer course. You want to nip this in the bud

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:53 pm
amother Blush wrote:
I would want stronger abx and a longer course. You want to nip this in the bud

Is that the case whenever a kid had behavioral symptoms with strep?
meaning the infection is effecting the brain and needs a stronger antibiotic?

giftedmom

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:53 pm
I have/had several kids like this. Never went the pandas route. The behavior always cleared once they were on abx for a few days.
Once they hit the tween years it stopped and instead they started having the classic symptoms.

ETA the ones with ADHD had it become worse in those days. There are studies that say strept can make adhd symptoms worse.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:55 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I have/had several kids like this. Never went the pandas route. The behavior always cleared once they were on abx for a few days.
Once they hit the tween years it stopped and instead they started having the classic symptoms.

ETA the ones with ADHD had it become worse in those days. There are studies that say strept can make adhd symptoms worse.

Did they take amoxicillin usually?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:55 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Is that the case whenever a kid had behavioral symptoms with strep?
meaning the infection is effecting the brain and needs a stronger behavior?
I would say yes.
(It's not strep affecting the brain, it's the immune system attacking the brain instead of the infection)

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:02 pm
amother Blush wrote:
I would say yes.
(It's not strep affecting the brain, it's the immune system attacking the brain instead of the infection)

Ah, interesting!
This seems to be a lot more common than expected.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics