Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Repeated Strep- what should we do?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:15 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
You can go to an ENT, and based on the amount of strep infections your child has had over the past x amount of months, they will either tell you yes to take out tonsils or not to. But they will not have any other advice for how to prevent recurrent strep.

Strep is dangerous if untreated, but antibiotics just make it more resistant. Use herbal antibiotics instead. Elderberry, astragulus, echinacea, goldenseal, cryptolepsis, alchornea, sida, bidens pilosa are what we use here.

Also, look at the terrain to figure out why the strep keeps coming back. Boost the immune system with vit a, c, and d, take care of any underlying infections, allergies or intolerances or other sources of toxins or inflammation that may be bogging down the immune system (mold, lyme, food allergies, ebv), cut out dairy, gluten and sugar to improve gut health and immune health, take down inflammation and help lymph drainage so that there isn't so much fluid sitting around for the strep bacteria to grow in, us blis k12 probiotics to crowd out pathogenic strep and replace with friendly strep bacteria.

Thanks so much. We actually already have ENT appointments. We’ve tried immune boosting supplements & probiotics- but I guess we need to do more intense.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:17 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
This is going to be controversial, but speaking as a nurse I have seen it work in a number of cases of repeat infections.

Stop giving antibiotics. Keep in close touch with your doctor if anything unusual happens. Let the disease work it's way through his system. Give his immune system a chance to react and develop his own immunity. Give something for pain/fever as necessary. It's scary, but I've seen this help so many times.

I would not withhold abx for strep...
Ds Therapist lost 1 kidney from a strep infection that went to her kidneys at 2 yo.

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much. We actually already have ENT appointments. We’ve tried immune boosting supplements & probiotics- but I guess we need to do more intense.

Hadad is a super diagnostician and he has a terrific personality. He doesn't panic parents and he works cautiously. I can't recommend him enough. People come from all over to make an appointment with him. A second opinion or just look into him, might be a huge help.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:27 am
Although not as dangerous as rheumatic fever, Scarlet fever is still excruciating and very, very not fun.

First of all, you are on a 2 to 3 week quarantine. You need to get a friend to do all your grocery shopping, pick up your prescriptions, and then drop them off at your front door. No schmoozing allowed.

Then there's the two weeks or more of feeling like you have razor blades and broken glass lodged in your throat.

The rash in only somewhat itchy, but afterward your skin will peel like a sunburn. What is especially weird is that the worst peeling will be on your hands and feet. When a full layer of skin comes off of your fingertips it hurts like heck to touch anything. You just feel raw all over (because you are.) It can take a full month or more for your skin to heal completely.

You will also be highly prone to getting strep again. Yay. Confused

I'm all for eating clean, taking your herbs and vitamins, but I'm also in favor of knowing when that is not enough. You can help the antibiotics do it's job with the least amount of damage, by maintaining a healthy gut biome and doing everything you can to support your immune system. It shouldn't be just one or the other, you have to do both.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:04 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]Thanks so much. We actually already have ENT appointments. We’ve tried immune boosting supplements & probiotics- but I guess we need to do more intense.[/quo

We just went through this with my kids.....is really draining and frustrating! My Dr recommend go to a store in health food store in Lakewood who can help.... Speak to Menachem Dancour in nature's warehouse 732-942-8600. He give us combo of herbs, vitamin d, Probiotic and vitamin c. I am BH seeing improvement.... One dc didn't have strep since we started almost 2 months ago bh!

We starting the herbs ( can't take them with meds) after we finished a round of meds for 20 days and prior months of on and off strep.

Hatzlacha!

Unique

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:12 am
My son had this..10 times in one year.. ended up being he had Celiac disease..once we removed the gluten he didn't get strep for years. A typical ENT will not connect the dots between food causing immunity issues. Think outside the box..why is your child's immunity low..

happyness

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:14 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
This is going to be controversial, but speaking as a nurse I have seen it work in a number of cases of repeat infections.

Stop giving antibiotics. Keep in close touch with your doctor if anything unusual happens. Let the disease work it's way through his system. Give his immune system a chance to react and develop his own immunity. Give something for pain/fever as necessary. It's scary, but I've seen this help so many times.

Dr David Rosenfeld, PA , in Brooklyn, lost his mother to untreated strept and resultant rheumatic fever complications.

There is one strain of strept, I don't know if it's Group A or B, that if left neglected, can lead to rheumatic fever, which leads to lifelong heart problems.

It's no joke.

My advice would be to send a culture swab to the lab as opposed to the overnight petri dish. These results would indicate if the strept was from the harmful group of bacteria. It may take 2-3 days for the results to come back, and in that timing your child is developing antibodies to strept. Risk for rheumatic fever is 10 days after getting sick, so it's not dangerous to wait those few days.

This is what I did for a period of time with one of my boys.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:38 pm
A family member had strep all the time and she took maxi biotic (echinacea) and kyolic. No more strep. I’ll also repeat whah another poster said and that is to see if it happens approximately once a month along with fever as that may be PFAPA.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:02 pm
I had one child when he was younger had a lot of strep infections. We didn’t do anything and he outgrew it. He does get it occasionally but Not like he used to .

mammala120

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 2:28 pm
Hello ladies. I have the strep issue with my son now. He will need abx for 3rd time in 8 months. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
OP if you found solutions please come back on here and tell. I am desperate.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics