Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Someone? Anyone? Pls give me advice or experience

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:01 pm
So my baby bh 10 months old, has been having eczema on and off. I finally took the plunge and gave his prescribed steroid cream of 0.05 percent, my dr isn’t quick to give out meds; but when it wasn’t going away, this was our only alternative. We did it 2x a day for 5 days.. with Hashems help, it worked wonders and we stopped; but I continued to moisturize twice a day...now I don’t know what happened, but my baby has a rash behind his neck and it feels a little bumpy, and I’m also noticing that the eczema looks like it’s trying to come back

This is my first baby so I have no clue about these things and would like someone to help me

I’m generally a very nervous, worried, and anxious person, ( and I’m trying SO hard to fix myself bc I don’t want my children to pick up on it and be this way)
and I can’t stop having anxiety attacks thinking of what it could be. Maybe an allergy reaction? But Bh my baby is so playful and happy he doesn’t even know anything is there.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:05 pm
Eczema is usually from being allergic. Did you have him tested?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:08 pm
Not yet. That’s my next course of action. Any Recommendations? ( OP here)

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:16 pm
1. I wouldn't rush to get a 10 month old allergy tested. They change and adapt quickly.

2. 0.05% cortisone is very mild. My doctor said "it's like water, use it as much as you need."

3. If you want, you can also try using moisturizer on the scaly patches a few times a day.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:19 pm
What moisturizer are you using? A plain one that has no added colorings/dyes that is thick, like aquafor or eucerin creme is best.

Also, you can put a drop of baby oil into his bath to keep the water from drying him out.

Wash his clothes with free and clear types of detergents and softeners, like Tide free and clear, or All free and clear, etc...

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:22 pm
When one of my babies had eczema I took him to a dermatologist who prescribed a cream that the pharmacy mixed. It was a mix of steroids and Aveeno cream. I needed to slather it on him after the bath on a WET body. He told me not to dry him after the bath. The skin needed the water as hydration. I did this for a few months. He’s now 13 and has not had eczema since babyhood.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:27 pm
OP- thank you everyone! I am currently using cerave baby moisturizing cream. I have aquafor so I can use that. I actually used it today on the back of his neck bc I wasn’t sure what it was.

I use Dreft babg detergent and babo bontanicals wash and shampoo, it’s free of everythingggg

His skin is mostly soft, we just have rough patches in certain places.

I didn’t know that about the prescribed steroid to the person that told me that, thank you! Maybe now I won’t be so apprehensive to take it out again and apply it to the certain spots

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:36 pm
First thing to do for excema in a child is allergy testing

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:45 pm
imasinger wrote:
1. I wouldn't rush to get a 10 month old allergy tested. They change and adapt quickly.

2. 0.05% cortisone is very mild. My doctor said "it's like water, use it as much as you need."

3. If you want, you can also try using moisturizer on the scaly patches a few times a day.

With all due respect, my experience has been vastly different. I've had kids tested as newborns and as infants and the allergies were clearly correctly diagnosed at those young ages.

While it's true that 0.05% is considered mildly potent, there are many known risks with long term steroid use. Since the eczema returns and spreads when the steroid is discontinued, it's clearly not a short term solution, and long term use is not considered safe by the medical establishment. I would absolutely try to determine the root cause of the eczema before continuing with steroids. It really doesn't make much sense to keep using creams as band aids instead of figuring out what the body is reacting to.

The most common cause of eczema is an allergy. Either a food allergy, which can be checked with a simple test, or an allergy to something the skin is exposed to, such as laundry detergent.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:14 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
With all due respect, my experience has been vastly different. I've had kids tested as newborns and as infants and the allergies were clearly correctly diagnosed at those young ages.

While it's true that 0.05% is considered mildly potent, there are many known risks with long term steroid use. Since the eczema returns and spreads when the steroid is discontinued, it's clearly not a short term solution, and long term use is not considered safe by the medical establishment. I would absolutely try to determine the root cause of the eczema before continuing with steroids. It really doesn't make much sense to keep using creams as band aids instead of figuring out what the body is reacting to.

The most common cause of eczema is an allergy. Either a food allergy, which can be checked with a simple test, or an allergy to something the skin is exposed to, such as laundry detergent.

OP- Pardon my ignorance; but how do they test for a food allergy? One little test will figure it out? Like do they test certain things first? Also, anyone have an allergist to recommend in the Flatbush/midwood area of Brooklyn
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics