Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toilet training help needed!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 6:56 pm
DD is 2.5. She is totally ready to be toilet trained. A while back I had her go on the toilet and she actually peed. I made such a big deal over it that now she’s scared off. She won’t hear of going on the toilet and tells me she only wants a diaper. We talk about it all the time but nothing doing. I don’t want to push her but she IS ready (tells me when she’s going and needs to be changed) How do I get her to get over her fear?

Edited below with medical information.

precious

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 7:53 pm
I don't know how big of a deal you made, but I think it is common to do it once and then not want to continue.
You can get her a potty, it may be less threatening. You can try offering a treat each time she goes on the toilet, in the beginning even just for sitting there. You can wait a week, leave it alone for a bit, then start again.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 8:17 pm
Let it go completely and try again in afew months. Don't talk about it at all till then.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:28 am
You can start by sitting her on while still wearing her diaper so she gets used to just sitting on it. Have you got a seat and step so she feels secure on the toilet?
You can sit her on, read her a book, just building up her confidence in sitting on the toilet. Don't push her-2.5 is still young, you have time. Also don't make too much fuss about it-offer her to go before and/or after bath-time, and then leave it if she says no.
Hatzlocha

sazn75

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:21 pm
Just my two sense...I still have not gotten over how I pushed my children to train and I think it was my anxiety getting the better of me and not being able to put things into perspective, like really, what was I afraid of? That they'd end up as adults in diapers- but anyway anxiety will do that to you.
So my free advice is...respect the child and let them guide you. When your child is ready, he/she will signal their readiness. You send your support and make them feel secure and loved and they will respond by doing their job- which is concentrating on what their body tells them it's ready to do. Also, once they go one or two times, then the fear is usually gotten over because they see it is not such a big deal after all. Most of all though is your attitude - one of respect and love for your child. Wish I could turn the clock back for a redo, but at least I can pass on what I learned. Good luck!

raich

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:13 pm
Is this your oldest child?

I agree with the posters who say hold off for now. Training should be a pleasant (overall) process and should be about her being a big girl and ready and happy to transition to the toilet. I never regretted waiting until the kid was ready (even well over age 3) and those kids were so much easier to train than those I tried pushing for when I thought the time was "right." Generally the more you push before they're ready means more stress for both of you. So not worth it in my opinion.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:35 pm
Thanks all! Not my oldest. My older one was trained at 3.5. However, this child has kidney problems and we won’t know the extent of the damage to her kidney and weather or not she’ll need surgery until she’s toilet trained and we can see how she holds herself in. I guess that’s whats making me anxious to at least start the process. I wonder if she picks up on it even though I in no way make it obvious to her. On the contrary I’m calm and I let her take the lead but at the rate we’re going she won’t even sit on the toilet till 5 years old .....

Bins

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:29 pm
Wow that’s an important bit of information you left out. Please consult with your doctor. I Bh know nothing about kidney problems , but 2.5 is young and fear is age appropriate, please please don’t push her. She knows what to do but is not emotionally ready. It doesn’t sound like a good idea for her to be holding in pee and poop. Try again in a few months; it shouldn’t be a huge struggle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics