Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Primary in lakewood
Previous  1  2

imatomsrivermom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:26 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
We don't have any pull and got interviews at 3 out of the 5 schools we applied to without following up. I think if you apply to schools that you fit into, theyll consider you seriously. They do research about you before deciding if they want to interview you. One school told us straight out they have 7 people doing research on each person and they don't give an interview unless all the info checks out, so they don't waste time.
The other two schools which we did not get interviews yet (not yet at least), we called twice to follow up but still didn't hear back so we are assuming we are just not getting an interview.

So curious, do you mind saying which school told u about the research with the 7 ppl?

imatomsrivermom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:27 pm
We got a bit off topic but my main question is, if they reject you, when will you kmow? Do they drag it out or tell you right away.

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:45 pm
imatomsrivermom wrote:
We got a bit off topic but my main question is, if they reject you, when will you kmow? Do they drag it out or tell you right away.

Usually drag it out unless ur accepted.

imatomsrivermom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:46 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Usually drag it out unless ur accepted.

Wow that’s terrible, so if I don’t hear back in a week then I probably wasn’t accepted?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:54 pm
I dont know how different the boys and girls systems are in lkwd but I got my dd into school last year in lkwd and I would totally follow up if I was in your position. Call the secretary and tell her you were interviewed last week and youre following up..

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:57 pm
imatomsrivermom wrote:
Wow that’s terrible, so if I don’t hear back in a week then I probably wasn’t accepted?

Usually they send out their first wave of acceptance letters and wait to see who confirms. If they still have empty slots (some people get accepted to more than one school and choose to attend the other one) then they will go on to the next wave. So not being accepted now doesn't mean you won't be in the future.

My kids got into school in February (boy) and March (girl).

dak11

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:03 pm
We don't have any pull and got interviews at 3 out of the 5 schools we applied to without following up. I think if you apply to schools that you fit into, theyll consider you seriously. They do research about you before deciding if they want to interview you. One school told us straight out they have 7 people doing research on each person and they don't give an interview unless all the info checks out, so they don't waste time.
The other two schools which we did not get interviews yet (not yet at least), we called twice to follow up but still didn't hear back so we are assuming we are just not getting an interview.

But isn't it a waste of time to have seven people doing research? I mean an interview is one hour at most.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:44 pm
imatomsrivermom wrote:
So two called me and 1 I called

I suggest calling to follow up, or have your pull call for you

What if you have no pull anywhere ?

imatomsrivermom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:57 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
What if you have no pull anywhere ?

When I say pull, I don’t necessarily mean someone connected to the school

But I’ve heard people ask their rebeyim call (your rabbi might know the menahels)

Family members who might know people in the administration. Bosses etc

I don’t know where you applied but what made you pick those schools? Do you know someone that goes there, they maybe can help you.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:58 pm
imatomsrivermom wrote:

Sometimes they will wait to see if a spot opens.

imatomsrivermom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:00 pm
Still curious about which school has the 7 researchers lol

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:30 pm

This is not the case with every school. I know that we are applying to a few schools and when we had pull call them to find out why we never got called for an interview they said that to be honest they only have 6 slots and more than 60 applicants so they really didn’t look into everyone. This was with 3 of the schools they each said the same idea. If they don’t know who you are off the bat they may just skim over your name. My point is that if you don’t get called for an interview it may not be because they already looked into you and don’t want you it may be because they just don’t know who you are and if you have a Rav or someone who would have an impact call they might take a look at you. But whatever it is it has to be done NOW schools are filling up.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:46 pm
If you haven't received a call for an interview yet, consider it as if they school has completely overlooked you and you are not in. Most schools have sent out their first round of acceptances and will only send final rejects around mid December. I got a phone call reject from one school that I applied to, I got an interview with major pull in my second school - with an acceptance letter two days after my interview, and I am still waiting for an interview at my #1 school.

Definitely call the school and follow up with them. Have everyone and your brother call the school on your behalf. Certainly if you have "pull" in a school that you are interested in have them call, but seriously have your Rav, your husband's Chavrusa, your neighbor who sends to the school, the school nurse that your acquainted with, your grandmother's neighbor - literally anyone who may have a connection to the school call on your behalf. I am not exaggerating. I had over 30 people call on my behalf for one school.

It is a ridiculous system, but the longer you wait the harder it becomes.

I really wish you the best of luck!

imatomsrivermom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:03 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
If you haven't received a call for an interview yet, consider it as if they school has completely overlooked you and you are not in. Most schools have sent out their first round of acceptances and will only send final rejects around mid December. I got a phone call reject from one school that I applied to, I got an interview with major pull in my second school - with an acceptance letter two days after my interview, and I am still waiting for an interview at my #1 school.

Definitely call the school and follow up with them. Have everyone and your brother call the school on your behalf. Certainly if you have "pull" in a school that you are interested in have them call, but seriously have your Rav, your husband's Chavrusa, your neighbor who sends to the school, the school nurse that your acquainted with, your grandmother's neighbor - literally anyone who may have a connection to the school call on your behalf. I am not exaggerating. I had over 30 people call on my behalf for one school.

It is a ridiculous system, but the longer you wait the harder it becomes.

I really wish you the best of luck!

Thank you for your reply, do you mind disclosing the school that rejected over the phone? I thought it’s by letter?

imatomsrivermom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:06 pm
Also I got interviews, I just wanna know how long till I know if I’m accepted

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:09 pm
imatomsrivermom wrote:
Also I got interviews, I just wanna know how long till I know if I’m accepted

Although officially acceptances don't go out until mid December, I find that if you had an interview, and they accepted you, you usually get your acceptance letter within a couple of days.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:19 am
It's true that some schools really only consider you if you call them. When I didn't hear from a girls school a couple of years ago, after our interview, I called to ask what happened! (A real newby at this...). The secretary kept me on hold for close to an hr, then told me that, ok, you're in. I really didn't know what to make of that, not realizing that if I wouldn't have called, I'd still be waiting for a response now!
It happens to be, we didn't end up sending to that school, but I learned the hard way that there is no limit to the phonecalls and nagging you must do!

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:38 am
I also learned the hard way. Was not gonna be the one to have 100 people call for me.. My application was totally overlooked at the school I wanted, and by the time I had pull call of course school was full and I didn't understand I needed to push for my choice. So just chose a diff school that accepted us right away and it's for the best and everything worked out, but I do wish I had someone tell me really how the system works and I probably would have sent my daughter to a diff school...
It's hard and don't take offense if ur not accepted.. Your just overlooked compared to the many people who have the whole world call for them.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:43 am
I applied a few weeks ago and know they called my sons school and teacher but still haven’t heard from them .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics