Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Help a mom of a preteen! Thanks
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:25 pm
My daughter just turned 9 and is just barely starting to develop on top. I am clueless as to what she should wear. An undershirt still? Or something with more support? She hates undershirts as she says she is uncomfortable and currently is just wearing a uniform shirt. I grew up in a family of boys and my mom didn’t know how to raise a girl so I don’t want to repeat her mistakes. Also when do girls start wearing deodorant and which type do they buy? Thanks in advance for all advice!

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:29 pm
They sell starter bras - I think they have a name but I don't know what. Some come attached to an undershirt and some come alone, but doesn't have the shape and support of a bra. Perfect for this stage.
I wish I had more info to help you! Maybe call a hosiery store to see if they have such a thing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:30 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
They sell starter bras - I think they have a name but I don't know what. Some come attached to an undershirt and some come alone, but doesn't have the shape and support of a bra. Perfect for this stage.
I wish I had more info to help you! Maybe call a hosiery store to see if they have such a thing.

Thanks!!

mommy24

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:35 pm
There are undershirts/camisoles with a shelf bra in it. My oldest daughter loved those. A little later I also got her sports bras, or ones that go over the head, it was made of super soft material from the GAP, she loved those as well.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:37 pm
mommy24 wrote:
There are undershirts/camisoles with a shelf bra in it. My oldest daughter loved those. A little later I also got her sports bras, or ones that go over the head, it was made of super soft material from the GAP, she loved those as well.

Thanks so much! Do you have a link for the undershirts/ camisoles? When did you start them? My daughter had a tiny breast bud ... is that the time to start? Thanks!

mommy24

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:03 pm
The camisoles I got were from old Navy. Just make sure they say bra shelf in description, I believe it comes with size medium and up.

Personally I buy them when they start developing, probably as your daughter is now. I wanted her to wear something because I feel shirts don't sit right on the girls otherwise when they start developing. At first she didn't love it, it felt extra and bulky for her. But I kept them for when she felt comfortable wearing them, a few months later. And like I said she loved them. Till HS she would still rather wear the camisoles than a regular bra.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:04 pm
mommy24 wrote:
The camisoles I got were from old Navy. Just make sure they say bra shelf in description, I believe it comes with size medium and up.

Personally I buy them when they start developing, probably as your daughter is now. I wanted her to wear something because I feel shirts don't sit right on the girls otherwise when they start developing. At first she didn't love it, it felt extra and bulky for her. But I kept them for when she felt comfortable wearing them, a few months later. And like I said she loved them. Till HS she would still rather wear the camisoles than a regular bra.

Thanks!!

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:14 pm
If you live near a Jewish bra store they all sell something like this that’s perfect for this stage. Either a tank or just a little over the head undershirt. Hanes sells also but I found the ones from the Jewish stores were better (more comfy and lasted longer)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter just turned 9 and is just barely starting to develop on top. I am clueless as to what she should wear. An undershirt still? Or something with more support? She hates undershirts as she says she is uncomfortable and currently is just wearing a uniform shirt. I grew up in a family of boys and my mom didn’t know how to raise a girl so I don’t want to repeat her mistakes. Also when do girls start wearing deodorant and which type do they buy? Thanks in advance for all advice!

Is she sensory? Dd also didn't wear undershirts but once she developed she had to wear something so we found butter soft camis that are great for this stage.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:12 pm
Thanks mauve and Ra mom. The camis that you linked to at what age/ grade is it socially appropriate to wear them? Also do you have any ideas as to when most girls start deodorant and what type? Thanks!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:12 pm
Buy unscented deodorant (or men's if she's comfortable with it). Women's scented deodorant is really noticeable.

small bean

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:19 pm
My girls started deodorant in 5th grade because that's when the girls start talking about it. My older daughter went through a few but she ended up likes Tom's rob on. My younger daughter started with a dove spray and still likes it. I think get whatever you like and them let her decide.

My girls have still not started developing at all so no bra advice. I ask my first daughter all the time, she's just about 13 if she wants a bra to be like everyone else, but she says no. They do sometimes wear undershirts or shells but not always.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:29 pm
Dd wore deodorant at age 9 (on and off, getting used to it).
At that age she used this natural roll on.
https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Na.....r=8-4
It's marked boys, but she wore it for years. We found the "boys" citrus sport scent was better than any other.

About the camis, she started wearing them at age 10/11 I think. Age doesn't matter. It's size. Other girls in her class started before her.
If you prefer an undershirt with cami coverage inside:
https://www.amazon.com/Blooms-.....views

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 2:48 am
Not a starting bra. It's a training bra.
Google that to find a lot more results.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:33 am
Thanks for all the advice!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:44 am
should? nothing. It's normal and doesn't require a special wear

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:55 am
my 9 year old wears toms of maine roll on with spray for shabbos. Get a smell she likes. They recently came out with something that's more "fresh" as opposed to like lavender etc...

She prefers sportsbras, then bralettes and last camisoles. She has a "big" built and the training bras/camisoles were to tight on her. we cut the camisoles to loosen them which was better but not her preferance. She likes the straps on a sportsbra better then the real bra type straps. The sports bra and bralettes were both adult sizes. The sportsbra I think we got at target and I think we got the bralettes from costco online.

Good luck!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:57 am
Is your daughter horribly embarrassed, or is she taking this in a matter of fact kind of way?

If she's casual about it, you can get her fitted properly. I find that if the band around the ribs is too tight it can be miserable. Go celebrate with ice cream afterwards and tell her she's becoming a young woman. (Same advice for first menstruation.) Do NOT do this if she is already super self conscious.

My DD sweats and smells like crazy, even though in the summer she takes 3 showers a day, and in the colder months she takes 2. She really likes men's 24 hour sport antiperspirant. The 24 hour thing is a lie, though. It's barely strong enough to keep her from soaking through her shirts by the end of the school day. As soon as she gets home she strips and jumps into the shower. There is no such thing as wearing the same shirt two days in a row, so there's always tons of laundry to do. I hope for her sake her hormones settle down soon!

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 2:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Is your daughter horribly embarrassed, or is she taking this in a matter of fact kind of way?

If she's casual about it, you can get her fitted properly. I find that if the band around the ribs is too tight it can be miserable. Go celebrate with ice cream afterwards and tell her she's becoming a young woman. (Same advice for first menstruation.) Do NOT do this if she is already super self conscious.

My DD sweats and smells like crazy, even though in the summer she takes 3 showers a day, and in the colder months she takes 2. She really likes men's 24 hour sport antiperspirant. The 24 hour thing is a lie, though. It's barely strong enough to keep her from soaking through her shirts by the end of the school day. As soon as she gets home she strips and jumps into the shower. There is no such thing as wearing the same shirt two days in a row, so there's always tons of laundry to do. I hope for her sake her hormones settle down soon!

would she want to try prescription anti persperant, I think you need a prescription, but it make you not sweat. my son used it for a while whne dederant just wasnt enough for him.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks mauve and Ra mom. The camis that you linked to at what age/ grade is it socially appropriate to wear them? Also do you have any ideas as to when most girls start deodorant and what type? Thanks!

Just take a little sniff in her underarm area and you will know if she needs deodorant.

When starting out, I liked to get my girls something more natural, as their skin can be sensitive. Tom's of Maine had a great roll-on that was very mild.

Gap has great starter bras for young ladies that are supportive enough and comfortable. Plus they come in fun colors.

https://www.gap.com/browse/pro.....ntent

or

https://www.gap.com/browse/pro.....ntent

Our local frum store (Tafi) has some very comfortable options that are similar to these and well-priced, too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children