Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Baltimore- TA

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:45 pm
I have some questions about TA. Any mothers here have boys there? (I want to ask anonymously that's why I'm asking on this forum).

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:02 pm
Yes, I have three boys there.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 11:58 pm
Yes, I have 2.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:23 am
I do Hi

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 6:24 am
Iā€™m a next level ta mom! 2 boys there.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:18 am
I have one currently at TA and two who already graduated. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:51 am
I had 3 there. 2 are currently in a different mesivta (but stayed through middle school) and 1 in upper elementary. I love the school. Happy to answer any questions.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:03 am
I love TA! my son is there and we're so happy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:40 pm
Thanks everyone. I was not expecting to get so many responses!
Our family is more "modern". BT is out of the question for me since I want my child in a class where the other children are keeping kosher and shabbat.
How yeshivish is TA?
Will it be any issue we aren't yeshivish?
Do the boys have to wear black hats at any point?
High school going until 8pm really sounds so long to me (I would not have been able to handle that). Are there boys who find it difficult to learn so late? Do they still have homework once they get home?
I for sure have other questions but these are the main things I'm wondering about right now.

(My child is in preschool btw. I am thinking about where to place him for now-the future).

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:53 pm
TA is a mix. It is a community school. The yeshivish school is TI or a smaller school between TA and TI hashkafically is TS.

There is OCA which is a mixed school. More modern but all Orthodox and everyone keeps shabbos and kosher. That may be your speed.

There is a new high school for boys that opened last year. It is a boys high school for OCA. The plan is to also open a girls school eventually. They probably don't go as late in the evening as TA.

Either was we love TA and have two boys there.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 12:02 am
Definitely look into Ohr Chadash = OCA. all frum, not yeshivish/black hat. from your questions, seems like this would be a good fit.

there is now a new high school to accommodate the boys from OCA since until now they didn't really have a place to continue in baltimore that was the same hashkafa as OCA, (maybe they went to silver spring for high school).

TA middle/high school does require a black hat as far as I know. it is a community school and wouldn't turn away someone frum I dont think, but if you are not interested in your son owning a black hat I recommend OCA as possibly a better fit.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:03 am
The Rebbeim at TA are all yeshivish, but the kids come from many backgrounds, especially since Yeshivat Rambam closed about 7-8 years ago. I think it is worthwhile for you to check out TA in addition to OCA and see where you feel most comfortable. TA has many advantages as an older, established, larger school.

I also wouldn't worry now about high school - so much can happen between now and then and being in TA for elementary/middle school is absolutely no indicator that your son will stay there for high school. The majority of boys now leave after 8th grade.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:20 am
TA has a mix. My younger son, and more recently a foster son, both went there through 8th grade. They had very different needs, and it was good place for both. Rabbi Kahane is incredible.

I also want to mention Darchei Noam Montessori, which is a real Montessori (as opposed to a Montessori Lite), goes at least through 7th grade, and has plans for a high school. My grandkids are there and wonderful DDIL teaches in the preschool. Darchei Noam gets a big mix of kids hashkafically.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:17 am
Thank you all for your replies!
Although hashkaficly/ religiously I feel like OCA would be a better fit for us as a family I feel like my son would benefit from a more structured learning style (although I myself wish OCA would have been around when I was in school!).
I just really see him benefitting from a more structured program. We are very not black hat. I have issue with boys being told they HAVE to wear one (if they chose to because they want to that is fine with me). I know it's a stupid trivial thing but for me it's bigger than that.
Do the middle schoolers have to wear a hat? If he wouldn't go to high school there where could he go? Do you think he would be able to easily switch to the newer OCA "offshoot" high school?

I have such concerns about BT and kids remaining religious and influences he would have there. I'm sure there is exposure to things everywhere I'm just concerned when so much of a student body is not religious. Also we are not as wealthy as many of the families who go there and I worry about peer pressure and expectations as far as material aspects go (is that crazy to factor that in?).
Such a big decision to make!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:30 am
There were boys in my older boys' classes that did not wear a black hat. A very small minority, but they existed and I do not think TA would not force you to do anything. A bigger question for me would be how you would handle it if your son decided he WANTED a black hat, not because the school says he has to, but because he wants to be like his friends? Would you have a problem with it?

Regarding high school, I do think he would easily be able to switch. My understanding is that Mekor Chaim was founded as a solution for OCA as well as the "frummer" BT boys (sorry, I hate that word but didn't know what else to use!) and more "modern" TA. It's only the first year so who knows where it will be by the time your preschooler is in high school, but as I said before, I really don't think that should be a consideration in determining the elementary and middle school.

From personal experience with extended family members, your concerns about BT are valid, both with respect to exposure and materialism. It is a wonderful school academically, but not for shomer shabbat kids.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 2:21 pm
I have 2 boys who went through TA middle school. It's really a mix. Some very yeshivish and some very modern and everything in between. The rule with black hats it that you need to wear one if your father does. Most boys (including those whose fathers don't) do wear them but not all.

I know nothing about the high school as I send my boys to a regular yeshiva for high school.

There aren't many local options for MO high school boys. Some of my son's more modern classmates commute(d) to Yeshiva High or the Academy.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you think he would be able to easily switch to the newer OCA "offshoot" high school?

There are TA boys in the OCA offshoot highschool. its TA and OCA boys, but more OCA boys.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:43 am
Thanks everyone for all the helpful info!

I personally wouldn't mind if he decides he wants to wear a black hat- I just have issue with being told he has to (it's not something I'd encourage but seriously I'm so worried about him staying religious that I'd much rather a black hat be the outcome of school influences...).
I guess we could start with preschool and see what happens by the time he gets to high school (what he's like then, what he wants etc).

Do most of the kids come in to preschool/kindergarten already having a group of friends? Are kids usually friends with children of their parents friends or will it be easy for him to make friends even if we don't really know any of the other parents? (So obvious this is my oldest isn't it šŸ˜).

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:57 am
He'll be fine even if he doesn't know anyone. The kids are grouped by age in nursery so he wouldn't necessarily be with friends even if he did know some of the other kids. And the little boys just like to run around with each other, they bond quickly like that. And you'll end up making friends with his new friends' parents!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics