Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Desperate for a boys hs, please read
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:08 pm
Odelyah, I don't know where you are coming from, but I would look into Minneapolis and Mesivta of West Bloomfield as well as possible options of yeshivos where the hashkafah is that of being yeshivish (OOT yeshivish though) and they don't allow for secular anything, but the atmosphere is smaller and the rabbeim are able to give more care and help for the boys. Both have dorms.

Minneapolis has the boys playing hockey every M"S; West Bloomfield doesn't have organized sports but sometimes if the weather is good, boys will organize a game and they have a workout room.
Both have secular studies, find out if they are adequate for your son.

You can also look into South Bend which restarted a couple of years ago and is up to 11th grade this year. They're growing (maybe 20 boys this year?) and I've heard great things about it but I don't know that much. Very similar in hashkafah to the others I mentioned and they take the boys on outings...

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:20 pm
I second Torahs Chaim in Baltimore, amazing warm supportive school.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:43 pm
Does Toras chaim in Baltimore officially accept out of town boys?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 9:08 pm
Yes, Toras Chaim in Baltimore officially accepts out of town boys. They board with families in town. It's a great yeshiva - worth looking into!

tryinghard

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:56 am
What does “not so strict on dress code” mean to you?
Rochester might be a good option for either OP or Odelya’s sons. Feel free to ask me questions here or PM.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:59 am
tryinghard wrote:
What does “not so strict on dress code” mean to you?
Rochester might be a good option for either OP or Odelya’s sons. Feel free to ask me questions here or PM.

He is not yeshivish and the dress code is. For example even though the Rabbi originally told us his shoes with the white stripe on bottom was fine, now he says it’s not. A dress code and dressing like a mentch and not wearing jeans and a t-shirt is more than fine. What is the school in Rochester? What is it called?

tryinghard

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 4:06 am
Ok, so definitely could be a fit - dress code is dark “neat” pants (ie no cargo or jeans or sweatpants) and a fully button down shirt (no color specified), black yarmulka.
It’s a branch of Chofetz Chaim. Google TIUNY, it should be the first result

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 4:14 am
tryinghard wrote:
Ok, so definitely could be a fit - dress code is dark “neat” pants (ie no cargo or jeans or sweatpants) and a fully button down shirt (no color specified), black yarmulka.
It’s a branch of Chofetz Chaim. Google TIUNY, it should be the first result

I actually have other boys in a Chofetz Chaim school someplace else and they said they don’t have the resources for him. Would this one be any different?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 5:25 am
I was also going to suggest Rochester. Wonderful, warm, OOT place focused on individual growth.

tryinghard

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 5:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I actually have other boys in a Chofetz Chaim school someplace else and they said they don’t have the resources for him. Would this one be any different?

Each branch is completely different regarding what resources they have and what kinds of things they are able (or willing) to address. One of the rebbeim is specifically a Kriah expert (has given workshops at Torah UMesorah), and deals with all kinds of difficulties. There have been many kids at various points who have come through with barely any background. Call the Menahel. He will be able to tell you right away if it’s not a good fit, but I think it should work (And yes, you can call, doesn’t need to be your husband 😜).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:38 am
tryinghard wrote:
Each branch is completely different regarding what resources they have and what kinds of things they are able (or willing) to address. One of the rebbeim is specifically a Kriah expert (has given workshops at Torah UMesorah), and deals with all kinds of difficulties. There have been many kids at various points who have come through with barely any background. Call the Menahel. He will be able to tell you right away if it’s not a good fit, but I think it should work (And yes, you can call, doesn’t need to be your husband 😜).

I called them and they said they don’t have the resources for him, but thank you.

I’m the one who makes all these calls, not my husband.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I called them and they said they don’t have the resources for him, but thank you.

I’m the one who makes all these calls, not my husband.

I’m sorry - Good luck to you!
BTW I only meant that I get the impression that in some of the more Yeshivish places, it would be expected that only the husband call.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:34 am
Actually, I think a lot of these places it's not really abnormal in this day and age for the mothers to make calls Smile Yeshivish or not...

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He is not yeshivish and the dress code is. For example even though the Rabbi originally told us his shoes with the white stripe on bottom was fine, now he says it’s not.

OOOF that's not yeshivish that nuts

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 4:17 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Does Toras chaim in Baltimore officially accept out of town boys?

What is a typical day schedule like? What do the boys who board do at night?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 5:10 pm
What about Friedman's in Lakewood? Not sure what it's called. Maybe someone else can help. Known as Friedman's, on corner of hope and Miller. It sounds like it may be a good fit

Undefined

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 5:16 pm
Op- I would definitely look into Richmond Yeshiva. Sounds like a good fit

oneofakind

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 5:20 pm
Friedman s is a lovely tight-knit yeshiva bais medrash. Not high school.
I think Englewood is worth looking into.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 5:26 pm
Babyblue, to answer your questions about Toras Chaim in Baltimore -

the boys start with shacharis at 8am (I think). They go home for dinner from 5:30-8:15pm. Night seder is 8:15-9:20pm.

I don't know what the boarders do with their free time. I guess it depends on the individual boys' preferences.

I can tell you that the boys who go there seem very happy.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 5:27 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Friedman s is a lovely tight-knit yeshiva bais medrash. Not high school.
I think Englewood is worth looking into.

Oh sorry. Thought was high school and bais medrash
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics