Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
This Is Us - Spoiler Alert for Yesterday's Episode

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:44 am
Who else watched last night's This Is Us and thought that Kate should have kept her white lie about Jack's first avocado?
I immediately thought "someone would totally start a thread on imamother about this" Very Happy
"Should I tell my DH someone else fed our baby first?" Very Happy

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:53 am
Of course she was an idiot. There are some things that don't need to be spoken. Not speaking of it would have been a kindness.

To the extent that one wants to ascribe deeper motivations, she might have been said to be self sabotaging the relationship.

Who knows what lies in store. As I recall, the episode when all of them gather in the future and the mother is dying, there is no Toby appearing.

Also in THIS episode when the mother was returned by the police, Kate signed the police form as Kate PEARSON - her maiden name. Of course some women keep their maiden name but why did the show highlight the signature. Of course it might be a meaningless red herring so fans would speculate.

Great episode in terms of leaving bread crumbs as well as advancing the story.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 10:41 am
One more item of speculation - who is Kevin's fiancee?

It is approximately nine months from Thanksgiving.

The place Kevin is living doesn't seem like it is in Los Angeles? Is it in the small town where Nick and Cassidy live?

It is unlikely to be a baby from the time Kevin and Cassidy slept together because that baby would have been born already - or close to it and unlikely that there would still be morning sickness.

Very sweet that grown up Jack Jr. is serving five pounds of shrimp which shows that Uncle Nick has become an integral part of the family since the new tradition has been added.

Wonderful scene when Randall is discussing the Leonard Cohen song and Uncle Nicky realizes he hasn't been completely erased by his brother.

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 10:56 am
I LOVE the new shrimp tradition.
I feel like I saw something somewhere that Sophie is the mother of Kevin's baby?

I was in tears when Randall was telling the Leonard Cohen story and Nicky realized that Jack didn't erase his brother.

I love this show.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:05 am
Amarante wrote:
Of course she was an idiot. There are some things that don't need to be spoken. Not speaking of it would have been a kindness.

To the extent that one wants to ascribe deeper motivations, she might have been said to be self sabotaging the relationship.

Who knows what lies in store. As I recall, the episode when all of them gather in the future and the mother is dying, there is no Toby appearing.

Also in THIS episode when the mother was returned by the police, Kate signed the police form as Kate PEARSON - her maiden name. Of course some women keep their maiden name but why did the show highlight the signature. Of course it might be a meaningless red herring so fans would speculate.

Great episode in terms of leaving bread crumbs as well as advancing the story.

Nope, Toby is there in the future. Randall calls him to ask him to come. Toby is alone in bed, no wedding ring. He's not sure if he should come, but Randall tells him that "she" would want him to come. When Toby arrives at Kevin's house, its clear he's never been there before. Its led to a lot of speculation.

It is noteworthy that he's not shown in the 40th birthday flash forward, though. Then again, either is Baby Jack.

But the moment I loved was showing Grown Baby Jack and Pregnant Wife of Grown Baby Jack preparing for Thanksgiving, with the Pearson traditions (hot dogs), and the new 5 pounds of shrimp, added Uncle Nicky tradition. It showed that there are bumps in the road -- Rebecca's illness, whatever is going on between Kate and Toby, and between Kevin and Randall (interviews have said its the 2 of them, not the whole clan) -- the family goes on and passes on its love and its traditions.

Back to the question, Kate should have kept her mouth shut. She didn't because she feels left out and left behind. Toby is sharing such huge parts of his life -- inclining the baby -- with others now. She did it to hurt him, to show that she isn't alone and just waiting for the crumbs he throws her. Self-sabotage? Maybe. But I totally get it.

Yeah, I'm kinda obsessed.

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:12 am
Kate needs a mommy and me group. Toby has his crossfit group who gush over baby Jack. She needs mommy friends who will do the same and make her feel like she's a great mom. She stays home all day with a small baby. It's not good for her to never get out.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:14 am
Thanks for the clarification regarding Toby. I knew the writers had left confusion in that episode regarding what was what with the relationships but didn't remember exactly what the exact scenario was.

I understand her feelings of being hurt especially since the whole issue of weight - loss and gain - has been such an integral part of her. Also although Kate has always been zaftig or pleasingly plump, even as a teenager she really wasn't morbidly obese in the way adult Kate now is. While it is entirely possible that pleasingly plump can balloon to morbidly obese as a 30-something adult, I think there might have been something more than simple a combination of genetics and liking food (obviously over simplifying weight issues) to cause such an extreme weight gain.

As I recall originally the actress Kate was supposed to lose weight as part of the storyline but when that didn't happen the writers adapted the storyline.

What still needs to be addressed is what horrendous thing her Kate's teenage boyfriend did. That was implied when she did something to the photo. I would say tore it up but I don't remember exactly what she did except that it foreshadowed some very hurtful relationship with him.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:17 am
essie14 wrote:
Kate needs a mommy and me group. Toby has his crossfit group who gush over baby Jack. She needs mommy friends who will do the same and make her feel like she's a great mom. She stays home all day with a small baby. It's not good for her to never get out.

I agree that theoretically she needs to not isolate herself although she does "walk" with her neighbor and her mother lives close by for support.

However, perhaps it is difficult for her to bring Jack to a baby group with babies who don't have issues. She was all gungho to bring him to the music class which was a disaster. Of course part of the issue was that Jack didn't react well to the stimulus but certainly there might have been other classes more suitable or Jack might have gotten acclimated to dealing with sensory input he couldn't see.

Clearly - based on adult Jack, Jr. - the parents did remarkably well in terms of enabling Jack Jr. to reach his fullest potentials.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:20 am
Anyone else bothered by the Tess is gay/ coming out storyline? Like why? Why does every show need to push this agenda on us?
It's a great show otherwise!

Edited to add- I'm probably more bothered by the fact that she's a kid! She's a child! Please leave kids out of this.
A different show I'm crazy over- A million little things- also has a story line thrown in of a 12 year old boy being gay. They make him seem like such a hero.
I know it's mimicking today's culture. But ugh. I'm disturbed by the show pushing it on such young kids.

pause

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:36 am
asmileaday wrote:
Anyone else bothered by the Tess is gay/ coming out storyline? Like why? Why does every show need to push this agenda on us?

Edited to add- I'm probably more bothered by the fact that she's a kid! She's a child! Please leave kids out of this.
A different show I'm crazy over- A million little things- also has a story line thrown in of a 12 year old boy being gay. They make him seem like such a hero.
I know it's mimicking today's culture. But ugh. I'm disturbed by the show pushing it on such young kids.

I only started watching A Million Little Things towards the end of the first season, but I'm loving it!

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:38 am
asmileaday wrote:

The reality is that gay teenagers are discovering their s-xuality at the same time as straight teenagers are.

Why is it more disturbing than Deja having a first "boyfriend"?

I don't know what you mean by "hero". The reality is that a certain percentage of the population are gay. Any kind of conversion technique doesn't do anything except cause psychological trauma. Being gay is still putting a potential target on one's back in the bullying culture of middle and high school. I think it's good that there are positive role models shown in terms of adults helping gay kids deal with the reality and gay kids shown dealing with the reality of what coming out and not being straight have.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Nov 20 2019, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:53 am
Amarante wrote:
I agree that theoretically she needs to not isolate herself although she does "walk" with her neighbor and her mother lives close by for support.

However, perhaps it is difficult for her to bring Jack to a baby group with babies who don't have issues. She was all gungho to bring him to the music class which was a disaster. Of course part of the issue was that Jack didn't react well to the stimulus but certainly there might have been other classes more suitable or Jack might have gotten acclimated to dealing with sensory input he couldn't see.

Clearly - based on adult Jack, Jr. - the parents did remarkably well in terms of enabling Jack Jr. to reach his fullest potentials.

Yes! Totally agree with the bolded.

Yes, the music class didn't go well but there's always things like story time at the library, etc.
Adult baby jack is like the perfect combo of Rebecca and Jack, right?

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 12:22 pm
essie14 wrote:
Yes! Totally agree with the bolded.

Yes, the music class didn't go well but there's always things like story time at the library, etc.
Adult baby jack is like the perfect combo of Rebecca and Jack, right?

I agree that there are probably groups which would provide socialization for both Kate and Jack Jr.

However, we have to acknowledge the writers are attempting to provide a certain type of dramatic storyline and so there is a tension between the Crossfit clique that underscores Toby/Kate drawing apart for a variety of reasons which wouldn't be served if Kate was active in some other form of activity that was providing support.

Besides - and part of why This Is Us is compelling is that the characters are flawed just like the rest of us. So imperfect Kate isn't dealing perfectly with life's stresses.

And in a one hour drama with multiple storylines, stuff has to be simplified somewhat - here we are being provided with a set up showing how Kate/Toby are becoming increasingly emotionally isolated from each other. How that works out ultimately we don't know although there are bread crumbs which seem to indicate their marriage doesn't survive.

As an aside evidently there is a whole Crossfit culture in which some of the Crossfit participants are incredibly involved. They even have special clothing and a poster in another forum indicated that her husband is a part of that "culture" and actually has gone over to people he sees are also Crossfit people. So the writers' selection of Crossfit as being the specific exercise group Toby is participating in seems to be drawn from specific knowledge of it.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:36 pm
Amarante wrote:
The reality is that gay teenagers are discovering their s-xuality at the same time as straight teenagers are.

Why is it more disturbing than Deja having a first "boyfriend"?

I don't know what you mean by "hero". The reality is that a certain percentage of the population are gay. Any kind of conversion technique doesn't do anything except cause psychological trauma. Being gay is still putting a potential target on one's back in the bullying culture of middle and high school. I think it's good that there are positive role models shown in terms of adults helping gay kids deal with the reality and gay kids shown dealing with the reality of what coming out and not being straight have.

I guess I'm just too old school when it comes to this topic.
Or maybe I'm thinking about how impossible it will become to let my kids watch tv shows without being bombarded with messages that being gay is cool and brave.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:42 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I guess I'm just too old school when it comes to this topic.
Or maybe I'm thinking about how impossible it will become to let my kids watch tv shows without being bombarded with messages that being gay is cool and brave.

People don’t become gay because they see someone on television being gay. It is an innate characteristic so I am not sure how seeing a gay teenager is more problematic than seeing a straight teenager with a boyfriend or girlfriend.

But I am not coming from a place where I think teenagers need to be shielded from reality especially when presented in a totally PG type of manner. Obviously not everything is suitable for every age but by the time someone is a teenager I would not find a program like this to be beyond their maturity level.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:55 pm
I thought the 40th birthday party was in the cabin that they had spent time in the past. Or was that a different cabin?

I love the flashforward to adult Jack and the shrimp.

I love that Beth can confide her meanest thought and have Kate say yeah that is mean.

And how has noone mentioned the text on Toby's phone when she went to take a picture of Jack in the pilgrim's hat?? Although really if Toby is doing something that he shouldn't would he really ask Kate to take a picture with his phone and not hers?

This show is my favorite and to think I only started watching it because of Milo's time on Gilmore Girls--when I didn't even like Jess!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:33 pm
When they showed adult baby Jack bringing in the 5 lb of shrimp to his pregnant wife, did anyone agree that he didn't look blind?

asmileaday

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:42 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
When they showed adult baby Jack bringing in the 5 lb of shrimp to his pregnant wife, did anyone agree that he didn't look blind?

If you Google it you'll see that he is actually blind in real life!

booboo24

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:49 pm
I wonder what happened that lead to Kevin and Randall not speaking to each other?! I noticed that kate signed the papers as kate pearson. Uncle Nicky is quickly turning into my fave. I read an interview with one of the producers. He said , everyone should wonder why Toby isn’t at the 40th birthday celebration.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics